Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, I know nothing about cars, I've learnt the basics for my tib, but generally not an expert, new to the forum, I'm the first owner of my 2007 Tib, she's red, manual transmission, and she's about to hit 225k on the odometer. I've had some repairs done over the last couple of years but nothing I didn't think was a hassle. She drives well, whenever I've taken her in shop, the mechanics are surprised that she's been well maintained. But again, I don't know how much longer she'll last. Is it normal for a Tib to run this long?

I feel like I can't sell, because of the milage, I've also learnt that the aftermarket isn't the greatest, and I'd like to modify but I'm stuck and can't decide. So do I just pass her on, or do I keep her?

·
Administrator
9,107 Posts
Last I looked, my ex's was about 240K miles and running well. I say keep it.
Does it burn oil (hopefully a quart or less per oil change)?

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,093 Posts
Is that 225k kilometers? If so that's still very young. There are a few Tibs in the Facebook groups in the 200k and 300k mile club. No reason to throw away a working vehicle if there are no obvious faults. As long as you keep up with required maintenance and don't beat the hell out of it, it should drive on for another 100k no problem. Don't forget the timing belt interval is 60k miles (100k kilometers) or 5 years which ever comes first. That's the number one killer of these engines is lack of timing belt maintenance.

Reactions: Tee92

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last I looked, my ex's was about 240K miles and running well. I say keep it.
Does it burn oil (hopefully a quart or less per oil change)?
Oh, well that's good to hear, I've been reading people have sold their tibs well before 150K. As for oil, I'd say no, there isn't a smell, the exhaust has a light drift of smoke when I start up, and I change the oil every six to eight months and it's still pretty full when I check the levels

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that 225k kilometers? If so that's still very young. There are a few Tibs in the Facebook groups in the 200k and 300k mile club. No reason to throw away a working vehicle if there are no obvious faults. As long as you keep up with required maintenance and don't beat the hell out of it, it should drive on for another 100k no problem. Don't forget the timing belt interval is 60k miles (100k kilometers) or 5 years which ever comes first. That's the number one killer of these engines is lack of timing belt maintenance.
Ah yes, 225KM. Thank you for the timing belt advice too, scary enough, I have never changed the timing belt. Will be getting onto that quick smart, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it whenever I've put it in for service.

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,093 Posts
That is scary. At 15 years old and 225k km you should be well into your 3rd timing belt and water pump. We generally only trust Gates timing belt and water pump kits because it's the OEM supplier. Don't let your shop talk you into a lesser quality brand.

·
Administrator
9,107 Posts
Oh, well that's good to hear, I've been reading people have sold their tibs well before 150K. As for oil, I'd say no, there isn't a smell, the exhaust has a light drift of smoke when I start up, and I change the oil every six to eight months and it's still pretty full when I check the levels
How far do you drive in 6-8 months? I change oil every 3500 miles or so.
And yes, I stated miles on our Tib.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How far do you drive in 6-8 months? I change oil every 3500 miles or so.
And yes, I stated miles on our Tib.
I haven't driven much since lockdowns in last two and abit years, but I do travel interstate and rural alot, so in the last six months I've done about 2000KM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is scary. At 15 years old and 225k km you should be well into your 3rd timing belt and water pump. We generally only trust Gates timing belt and water pump kits because it's the OEM supplier. Don't let your shop talk you into a lesser quality brand.
Okay thank you for the tip, I looked online for a timing belt and waterpump kit as soon as I saw your message and I 100% preferred gates

1 - 9 of 9 Posts