Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i'm almost done with my box, took some pics of the progress, though i'd post them up, gonna take another picture of it in the car in a couple of minutes.

i'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out so far,

i want to eventually sand it, get it smooth, paint it black and try to get it to a very shiny finish,

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow i would love to do this type of project but i dont think i could find the time, props tho, would love to see in car pic too ^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's really not THAT hard, it's just VERY time consuming, been working on it for 3 days already and it's gonna take a whole lot longer before it's completely finished, and i still need to do the other side lol

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice, i really like the look of that instead of a big ol box in the back lol

yep, exact reason i did it, i hate the look of a huge box in the trunk, it looks cheap, takes away ALLOT of space and is heavy.

this actually weighs next to nothing

·
Registered
653 Posts
Looking good! Just be careful when you are sizing it up in there. Loose fiberglass strands/shavings are a b!tch to get out of carpet. I could never get mine smooth enough for paint, but if you have experience with finishing, more power to you. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what's a flush mount?

i'm not worried about mounting it because it's such a snug fit that i'm sure it wont be going anywhere, it's even tricky to get it in and out, the reason being that i think my car had the stock sub in it before i bought it (bought it used) so the carpeting doesnt go all the way to the side, there's a drop, and i made the box to go over that drop, so it kinda pops in place.

and if that's not enough, i'll probably just buy some strips of velcro and stick them on the back

and yea, i'm a bit worried about the sanding to get it smooth enough, i'm just gonna take my time with that, i'm probably just going to give it a little sand tommorow and give it a coat of black paint temporarily, then when i start working on my second box for the other side i'm going to really try to get it to a nice finish

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
the point of securing it to the vehicle is for in the event of an accident. if you get rearended, that box is coming straight for the back of your head. its a safety measure.

flush mounting is designing the enclosure so the front foace of the enclosure is at the same level as the sub. it looks much nicer than just mounting the sub on top. here is a reference link.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3985&highlight=flush+mount

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh yeah, that

no, i didnt necesarily forget, i just didnt think it was necesary a first, but when i was coming around to finish i realized tha it might have looked slightly better,

but oh well, i'll try it next time

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
what's a flush mount?
It is where you have the top of the sub below or even with the top of the box! Looking good so far, can't wait to see the setup done! L8R

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My brother had one he made for his Tibby. It took him months to get it perfect, but it fitted his 2 12" subs, two amps, and a bottle of Zex. Your's is coming along nicely...kind've looks like a volcano. LOL.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I did the same thing with 6 mini subs. If you really dont want to sand it down to smoothness there is always the option of wrapping it in something. I had my 2 boxes and was so tired of working on them I went out and bought some leather sheets and wrapped them in black leather and it looks pretty good. Oh and you need to figure a way OTHER than velcro to secure them because if you take a corner with any reasonable speed the speaker is going to roll itself over and end up on its face. super PITA.

·
Registered
653 Posts
you need to figure a way OTHER than velcro to secure them because if you take a corner with any reasonable speed the speaker is going to roll itself over and end up on its face. super PITA.
^ +1
Your speaker is actually going to stick out from your box and hang over the floor of your hatch area. You'd better fasten that thing down prety good if you want it to stay.

·
Registered
417 Posts
since u plan on painting this, u should have fiberglassed on the inside of the face instead of outside....it takes longer at first but once u start sanding, it saves u tons of time. make sure u get a DA sander when u start sanding if u still want to paint it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts