Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, this is going to be my 1st winter with the Tib, and since it's my daily driver I'd assume it will see a fair amount of snow, especially since it wont be in a garage (i know, i know, its sad).

Just wondering if you guys have anything I should watch out for and what to expect. I already found that the e-brake loves to stick when it gets below 40 and the brakes did the same once. Im hoping thats as bad as it gets but you have anything else I might want to know ur response would be appreciated :)

thanx!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i have an '06 V6 auto with the stock michelin tires on it if that makes any dfference. only engine mod so far is an Injen SRI so its not like I have a supercharger on ice lol

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
aaaaand it is winter and these threads come out again.

me = 2005 GT w/ stock mich = 100% fine in the snow. no problems. never got stuck. handled great.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
yah, unless youre traversing major hills (like i have to do every day) you shoudl be ok on the stock all season tires. i have snow tires and theyre 100% better in any kind of snow. i was out driving around in 6 inches, passing stuck suvs.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
This will be my 3 winter with the Tib. I still have the Stock Michelin MXM4 tires. Never had the e-brake freeze or a single problem driving in the snow.

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
umm.... the 03s didnt come w/ the MXM4 all seasons..... unless u instantly ditched your stock michellin summer tires

·
Registered
572 Posts
bms231 said:
umm.... the 03s didnt come w/ the MXM4 all seasons..... unless u instantly ditched your stock michellin summer tires
You are correct the 03's were not all season tires, just performance. I got a set of all seasons for winter and removed the performance ones for summer. I'm actually on a set of Bridgestones that were a lot cheaper than the pilots and hold up well in snow and rain. I drove a lot of backroads and the Pilots were wasted on gravel and asphalt. This will be my 4th winter and the only problems I have had was clearing the snow. If the roads are plowed I have no problems. Patience, careful driving and good traction tires are the key to winter driving. Now ice storms thats another nightmere

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
ahh ok cause i was like o_O? good stuff. i am very happy w/ the MXM4 and personally... i am thinking they might be my replacement tires as well. not too sure yet b/c they cost so damn much and probably only get about 25K in wear on them.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
bms231 said:
ahh ok cause i was like o_O? good stuff. i am very happy w/ the MXM4 and personally... i am thinking they might be my replacement tires as well. not too sure yet b/c they cost so damn much and probably only get about 25K in wear on them.
you might want to look at some toyo proxes all seasons.. theyre pretty good for the price. the michelins are waaay overpriced. and i would stay away from goodyear eagle rsa's as well.. they suck in the snow.

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
alpinewhite said:
you might want to look at some toyo proxes all seasons.. theyre pretty good for the price. the michelins are waaay overpriced. and i would stay away from goodyear eagle rsa's as well.. they suck in the snow.

i was actually thinkin about these...Bridgestone Potenza G 009

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+G+009&partnum=145HR7G009&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=42

half the price of the MXM4s, performance rated, and got great reviews by people in the snow.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Tiburon628 said:
im taking the 17's off for the winter and putting steel 16's on with winter tires.
by far the most economical soloution.. you could probably(definitley) find some 16'' tib wheels on here if you look.. i know for a fact that tiburon660R has a few sets...

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Tiburon628 said:
im taking the 17's off for the winter and putting steel 16's on with winter tires.
Similar... I took my 18's off and using my 17 stocks

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
NovaResource said:
This will be my 3rd winter with the Tib. I still have the Stock Michelin MXM4 tires. Never had the e-brake freeze or a single problem driving in the snow.
bms231 said:
Why do you assume I have an '03? I have an '04 that came stock with MXM4's.

2 winters so far with no problems. However, I will probably replace them soon. They still have enough tread to be legal but not enough (in my opinion) for driving in the snow.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I got some steelies for the winter that I need to put on. Defenately dont be ridin rims in the winter. Use your stocks (I traded mine, thats why i got steelies).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my rims are sitting in the basement waiting for tires, so I'll be using the stock 17's. guess things should be ok then cuz i drive like a grandma in the snow

·
NT's Medical Student
1,120 Posts
I got a set of 4 16 inch tiburon wheels from NT member Idrivetuscani on here for 50 bucks with tires. I took the tires off the rims and purchased a set of 16 inch Hankook W404 winter radials on them from discount tire direct (The hankooks kicks so much butt in the snow, especially deep snow) so in the winter i swap out my OEM 17 inch wheels with my OEM 16s with snowies and the tiburon is a beast in the snow. I have ABS so it stops on a dime and the car is unstoppable. Never got stuck I feel very safe. The tib with snowies=really good in snow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts