Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a '04 GT 6 speed manual last year from a friend. They just replaced clutch a couple months prior and the car ran awesome. For about 3 or 4 weeks...

My son had driven it to a friend's place and when he went to reverse out of the driveway, all was good. When he tried to shift into first, the shifter wouldn't budge. Long story short, the reverse gear selector fork (no sure of actual name of it) thingy in the transmission snapped. My son pulled engine and transmission (he always goes the extra mile) and pulled apart the transmission. That's how we found the broken part. Fast forward an epidemic later and I was finally able to order the part from the local Hyundai dealership to replace in transmission. Transmission was rebuilt and reinstalled, with same clutch assembly that came off of it. But my dear sweet son didn't take his time for the 'click' when reinstalling the clutch. So we start car for the first time in over a year, and it won't shift into gear again. At this point I was all screw it and went and bought a new clutch kit ( not knowing better, it was a kit without a flywheel). We begin dc'ing front end of car again and our mechanic buddy, Jim tells us to stop. Jim tells us a fellow mechanic friend of his, who is very well established locally, will do the install. And Jim would flip the bill. Cool, right! And again this shop we took my car to has been around since the 80's and the owner is well known.
Here's the issue:
When the lifted my Tib to drop transmission enough to pull the clutch, no problems.
The problem apparently was removing the not so cheap, original flywheel. The flywheel that was in perfect condition when we, my son and I, put it back into the transmission.
This shops only task was to replace the old clutch with the new one. They promised 2 days at most, it's been nearly 2 weeks now. I told them to put it back together so it can be towed to a friend's backyard... Again until I can afford to replace the jacked up flywheel now.

So question
1: Should a professional, certified mechanic be able to remove this part without damaging it beyond repair?

Not only did they destroy the bearing in it (it's like they tried peeling the bearing out. It's shredded metal now), they dropped it on the concrete a couple times, chipping away and denting the iron teeth/ splines (whatever they're called, lol) of the flywheel.
And before anyone asks, there was no brittleness to the flywheel. 😊
2: If so, should that mechanic shop be liable for the damage and replace the part at their expense? Oh and to boot, they're charging us $200. for the labor and breaking my flywheel. Lol

Because let's face it, if anyone here has had to swap out clutches and flywheels on these cars, the flywheels are not cheap. List price at my favorite auto parts store is $750.+ Even with a commercial account, which thankfully I have, they're still $424.00.

I apologize for the rant, but I'm still livid. 🤬 Went into full on Karen mode with poor Jim. 😔
I've been without my own vehicle since this car went down and I am in desperate need of it now.

Any advice would be appreciated.
At this point I'm just going to upgrade to a Stage 2 Chrome-moly set up that my friend Jim said would be a safe upgrade.

Mary

·
Registered
131 Posts
Lol I’m sorry but this is almost boarderline funny I’m really sad to hear about that tho it must suck so much... anyways yes there is no reason a flywheel would be “stuck” on I’ve replaces two so far and one was the original duel mass from a 2003.. I took the bolts off and pulled off the flywheel with my hands both times so not sure if it’s a problem with them sticking but mine all basically fell off... should you get a chromolly flywheel? Yes I have one and it’s amazing I’d never buy a new duel mass or the oem one it just makes sense, cheep and seems really sturdy, and don’t forget about light.... as for if he should be responsible, I think yes because if he was just replacing the clutch and started fucking with the flywheel without you saying so then ya I’d be mad.. if you were going to replace it and it broke who cares? You have to get a new one regardless so don’t see a big point on getting worked up over it... the original duel mass CANNOT be resurfaced so you HAVE to get a new one.. single mass flywheels can be but since you had a duel mass yeah gotta get a new one regardless my dude... I’d say a flywheel might be good for 2 clutches idk but I’d be changing it for the extra 100$ everytime anyway... as for the bearing being messed up are you talking about the release bearing or the crank bearing? If it’s the release one then maybe it got mangled when you started it without clicking it in?... hope this helps it’s just my opinion not trying to say your wrong to get mad, I know I’d be mad but gotta see it from the plus side on certain things... if it was a new flywheel yeah slash his tiers lol 😂 just joking but yeah if all parts were new and there was no way he could mess it up I’d be telling him what’s up

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
425 Posts
Flywheels should not cost $750 unless you sourced a dual mass flywheel from the stealership, which are garbage from the get-go. Parts stores are also garbage. Buy direct from the manufacturer if you can and skip the middle man collecting the handling fee. Even a lightweight performance Fidanza flywheel doesn't cost that much...

Your naturally aspirated daily driver does not need a stage 2 clutch. It is a great upgrade but may make clutch engagement tough in traffic. You would do fine with a standard OE replacement by Valeo, Exedy or Clutchmasters coupled with a generic Chromoly single mass flywheel. Personally I bought a complete clutch and single mass chomoly flywheel kit for under $300. The kit was an "EFT Stage 2" kit which I've put a very hard 60k on it. It's already outlasted the original OEM clutch it came with 15 years ago.

Can you remove the clutch assembly, throw out bearing and flywheel without damaging them? Yes. Most of the time you are removing to dispose of them so care isn't normally used on the deinstall.

I think the mechanic was in over their head and didn't know the ins and outs of the pull type clutch system. They should bow out and hand the job over to somebody else. If anything was clearly damaged on their end they should replaced by the business's insurance. If they aren't insured and they still refuse to pay up, take them to small claims court.

But... there's also alot of unknowns about the work you or your son performed on the last install. User error on both ends is easy to pass blame to the mechanic that took over the job. For example, this is a common issue... if the flywheel bolts were re-used or replaced with lower quality bolts, the threads could have been damaged. Over torqueing the flywheel bolts could also damage the threads. This makes the flywheel removal much more difficult for the mechanic with just one snapped bolt.

Reactions: Mary SW

·
Registered
470 Posts
You came here for the truth, so as a shop owner, i wont sugar coat it.

This whole story smells funny to me. You say shady mechanic and shop, but then proceed to say well established, been around since the 80s, and well known locally. That doesnt sound shady to me.

You say you and your son pulled apart a 6 speed transmission and replaced a fork, but botched the installation by not engaging the throw out bearing after mounting the transmission, then admittedly for not knowing better like simply removing the transmission and realigning the throw out bearing and reinstalling, proceeded to purchase another clutch set, without flywheel, and reinstall. BTW im also assuming you didnt damage the ring that locks the throw out bearing when you removed it from the pressure plate to begin with. If you just took a screw driver and pried it off, then you destroyed it even if only by bending the retaining ring.

Then, after being perfectly capable of rebuilding a fwd 6speed transmission (assuming that was done correctly), your mechanic friend says "stop, let me send this to this other guy to do the installation, and ill even pay for it!". Im sorry, what?

Then..... something happens at the shop. You dont seem to know what exactly, but now you have broken parts and you want to blame somebody.

So heres the thing. These cars were known for blowing clutches. In fact, there was a class action lawsuit precisely because they were going out at 30-40k miles. I have replaced many a dual mass flywheel on many different cars, and these were especially trash on this vehicle. I have never removed one that wasnt broken or damaged in some way. They are terrible designs. Their solution was to do a conversion to a single mass flywheel and a sprung clutch disk, and even reimbursed customers who had to have the clutch replaced under a certain mileage. IF you had an original factory dual mass flywheel, I assure you it was not in perfect shape. Changing it to a single mass flywheel/sprung clutch disk is the best thing you can do for that car.

Which brings the next question, if you did have a dual mass flywheel, did you replace the clutch with a factory style unsprung clutch disk? Or did you get a replacement sprung clutch set meant for a single mass flywheel and attempt to install that? Not only that, but every time you change a clutch.... every time, you resurface or replace the flywheel. The dual mass cannot be resurfaced, and must be replaced, or do the conversion to single mass.

Something else that doesnt make sense to me. You said all their job is was to replace the old clutch with the new one. The new one should have come with a pressure plate, clutch disk, and new throw out bearing. There is no need to remove the bearing from the pressure plate if you are replacing it with a new one. The pressure plate, bearing and all, unbolt from the flywheel and can be discarded. So what parts got damaged? The old parts? Or the new parts? Did they install the new throw out bearing on the clutch instead of the input shaft of the transmission, and then try to remove it after realizing their mistake? In that case, they normally should be paying for your parts.

However, realistically, if you have a commercial account, you can simply return your new parts anyways, damaged or undamaged, and pay the difference for the correct clutch/flywheel conversion set solving all your problems, or simply swap for new parts as yours are under warranty, and have the shop buy you a flywheel if you really want to go back with the factory dual mass..... which you'll be addressing again anyways after some time. If your commercial department wont do this for you, you have much bigger issues than broken parts.

90% of my job is fixing other peoples mistakes, and a LOT were made here. It sounds to me like you tried to do this as cheap as possible (which tends to be the most expensive way in the end), messed up, then the shop messed up not having enough experience with pull type clutches. Seems to me both parties here had no idea what they were doing.

From my point of view, not knowing if you put that transmission back together properly, not knowing if you attempted to do it by sliding the transmission away from the block, or removing it entirely, not knowing what was damaged during removal and installation, THEN asking a shop to go back behind you AND supplying your own parts? You are damn lucky a shop even entertained you in the first place, friend or not. Theres no way i would have touched that car without making you sign a waiver first IF my friend came to me asking for help. If you were a cold walk-in, I would have turned the job away.

But no, a professional would not have damaged your parts. But mistakes do happen, even among professionals. We cant account for what all our employees do sometimes, however we are responsible for them in the end.

Mistakes were made on both sides of this, and i feel like a lot of information is missing here. I would attempt to work this out with your parts suppliers, and your mechanics and try not to burn any bridges in the process. Buy them some pizzas or something as a peace offering, apologize, and start over.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree with faulcun.. who doesn’t love pizza lol 😂 also yes deescalating is always a good thing weather your at fault or he is... btw you really never seen a broken one? I pulled one off my 2003 and it looks mint other then some surface rust... and on my other one the pressure plate started seizing up and wouldn’t fully engage ended up blowing a few pieces of the diaphragm off lol... still drove it for like a month after that lol 😂... the clutch was new but the guy I bought it from had it sitting for a few years and I had it sitting as well while I was getting it running... sorry this post is just a rant trap lol... but yes PIZZA get a BBQ chicken pizza and some cheddar jalapeño dip from pizza pizza if you guys got that.. they’d prolly fix it for free lol, get some Arizona’s for drinks to

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
425 Posts
As the plot thickens I'm curious to know what Jim's angle is in all this. Why is he paying for the install? What is he gaining from this? Is he really just a friend? Does your son know he has a new step dad yet? Lol

Reactions: Faulcun

·
Registered
470 Posts
I agree with faulcun.. who doesn’t love pizza lol 😂 also yes deescalating is always a good thing weather your at fault or he is... btw you really never seen a broken one? I pulled one off my 2003 and it looks mint other then some surface rust... and on my other one the pressure plate started seizing up and wouldn’t fully engage ended up blowing a few pieces of the diaphragm off lol... still drove it for like a month after that lol 😂... the clutch was new but the guy I bought it from had it sitting for a few years and I had it sitting as well while I was getting it running... sorry this post is just a rant trap lol... but yes PIZZA get a BBQ chicken pizza and some cheddar jalapeño dip from pizza pizza if you guys got that.. they’d prolly fix it for free lol, get some Arizona’s for drinks to
No, ive never seen a dual mass flywheel that wasnt damaged in some way. Never is a strong word, im sure ive come across a few that might have been ok. But ill say this, I absolutely would NEVER put one back on a car regardless of condition. Failures happen usually as cracks in various metal pieces, or chipped/broken internal parts. Way too many parts compose those flywheels for something to not go wrong. Look up diagrams on dual mass flywheels and you'll see what im talking about

·
Registered
131 Posts
Oh I know lol I have one in my basement looks pretty cool honestly but yeah I’d never put one on I’ll always buy the eBay chromoly flywheel I think... unless I end up having problems.. I have one on my one car and I’m putting another one on my other one both tiburons😉... and yeah about this Jim guy idk about step dad but maybe he seen all this coming and wanted in on that pizza action lol 😂 had it all planed out real big complicated plan just to get some free pizza lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
As the plot thickens I'm curious to know what Jim's angle is in all this. Why is he paying for the install? What is he gaining from this? Is he really just a friend? Does your son know he has a new step dad yet? Lol
Lmao😳I need to know also😳

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
get the right parts, tow to a modern shop. make sure the shop knows it's a pull type clutch. 200 dollars for labor isn't unusual for diagnosis that required disassembly.
should've gotten a new single mass flywheel and clutch all at once and not bother with the OEM.
Aftermarket full face sprung disc/single mass/pressure plate/valeo bearing set is less than 500 bucks from an aftermarket vendor.

put this all behind you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got fx racing stage 2 with a chromolly flywheel.. actually I got two first one was 500$ seccond was 220$ Same seller and clutch and flywheel just different paint on the pressure plate and it works amazing 🥲 and this is all in Canadian so you do the math lol... but what’s the story on this pizza party? And who is the dad¿...

guys I did a safty meeting today about harassment and if he doesn’t reply with at least a lol it’s harassment sooooo chillllllll lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts