Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new radio for my new ride.

I'm looking at a price of $250 and lower.

Things I want it to have-
CD with MP3 capability
AUX in to plug in IPOD.(Face plant input)
20+rms per channel
Sat. Radio

I've looked at some JVC's but they seem to be underpowered and I would like to avoid having to buy an amp.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Any aftermarket cd player is only going to output 20-22 watts RMS per channel which is what the JVC should have been rated at. I don't know how much power you want but you if you're not satisfied with that and want more power then you'll need a seperate amp as well. I personally suggest Sony's if you want the AUX on the front with SAT radio. Keep in mind though any deck that is Sat radio ready still needs a seperate Sat tuner to get Sat radio through the deck.

My $.02

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
agreed, you will still need the seperate sat. controller and all the stuff. if dont right it can look really good coming from behind with a mount on the dash. i would suggest an alpine cd player, most of the ones around 200 or 250 have the ipod connection and sat. ready. some even come with changer controls. crutchfield is a good place to look around.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have another question though.

I see a lot of decks with USB input on the deck. Can I connect my ipod into this or is it for jump drives only? I might go this route if the usb will work for me. That way I can input satellite through the rear AUX and ipod through the front USB.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Kenwood KDC-MP732
* AAC/WMA/MP3/CD Receiver with External Media Control Auto-Slide Detachable Faceplate
* Rotary Encoder & Jog Control Knob for Easy Operation
* 64 Color Fine Dot FL Display
* Display Off Mode
* Maximum Output Power: 50W x 4 (MOSFET Power IC)
* AAC/WMA/MP3 Playback
* G-Analyzer (Graphic Motion Analyzer)
* System Q/System E's+
* Installer/Backup Memory of Audio Setup
* SIRIUS Satellite Radio Ready
* HD Radio Ready
* External Media Control — iPod Ready
* TEL Mute
* Dual Zone Source & Volume Control
* AUX Input
* 3 Preouts with 4V Pre-output Level
you should be able to pick up one for 250-275.

I have the excelon version of this unit but they both do the same things.
My sysytem had teh following hooked up to it now:
Sirius Satelite Radio (controled throught the headunit)
AM/FM
HD Radio
iPod (controled throught the headunit)
Rockford Fosgate OmniFi (through he aux in)
Separate Aux jack with a "y" off to use the omnifi OR a laptop

Needless to say you can load these headunits up with just about ANY form of music playing device.

·
Registered
530 Posts
JENGA said:
I'm looking to buy a new radio for my new ride.

I'm looking at a price of $250 and lower.

Things I want it to have-
CD with MP3 capability
AUX in to plug in IPOD.(Face plant input)
20+rms per channel
Sat. Radio

I've looked at some JVC's but they seem to be underpowered and I would like to avoid having to buy an amp.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Alpines have some awesome units (i have the Alpine CDA-9856 I believe but not sure since i don't have the model number on me) and I love it! I'm able to connect my ipod through a special cable and control my ipod from the deck (Love that feature), also has 2 aux inputs in the back and is both XM and Sirius ready (get XM, had sirius and it's not worth the money). Also it's HD radio ready for any buffoons who want to waste money on that horse ****. But yeah it's a great head unit. I could be happier.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KBOId4vyAVl/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=500CDA9856

·
Registered
383 Posts
JENGA said:
Thanks for the advice. I have another question though.

I see a lot of decks with USB input on the deck. Can I connect my ipod into this or is it for jump drives only? I might go this route if the usb will work for me. That way I can input satellite through the rear AUX and ipod through the front USB.
You're better off by the a deck that is sat radio ready, and using the data bus port on it for sat radio, not the AUX. This will allow you to control it as well as get the best sound quality. ie. alpines.

As far as decks with USB in the front of them, yes you can plug your Ipod in there and have the song information and sound come through the deck, but you cannot control your Ipod with the CD player. Again, im going to have to agree with everyone and go alpine. They have a seperate plug on the back for your Ipod, and a seperate port for Sat Radio. This way you can get both options with the best sound quality, both can have most of the wires hidden, and you can control both through the deck.

Alpine decks that can do both ususally start around $150
Sat Tuner $100
Ipod Cable $30

1 - 7 of 7 Posts