Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so heres the deal...i have about 4500 to spend and im looking to buy an 03 tib..

one of the cars ive been looking at is a blue tib with about 120K miles, guy says he doesnt know if the timing belts been changed, but drives nice and is asking for 4900. the left exhaust is rusted, id need to get that fixed sometime (the exausts are joined, so id need to get the whole thing replaced, dealers are asking $700 for that job)
the link is: http://newjersey.craigslist.org/ctd/1308254742.html[/url]

the other car im looking at is a white tib im going to visit on thursday, and they are asking for 4500. i dont know how the car drives or anything, ill let you know on thursday. the car has 181k miles on it, the current owner bought the car from a dealer (the dealer replaced the motor) and the current owner has replaced the transmission. again, nothing said about the timing belt
the link is: http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/1298098837.html[/url]

i honestly dont know a lot about cars, this would be my first car (turning 17 on the 22nd, need a car by my bday) and this forum is loaded with guys who know what their talking about, so if you could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah im planning on negotiating...just which one should i go for?

and anything in particular i should look for/ask?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
put that 4500 down and finance the rest to buy Vecchion's tib or something like that. thing is gorgeous and only 12 grand with 30k mile. a steal.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
put that 4500 down and finance the rest to buy Vecchion's tib or something like that. thing is gorgeous and only 12 grand with 30k mile. a steal.
Good call, it would basically be doing the same thing anyway by buying one of those $4500 ones, because you would have to pay a bunch down the road to fix stuff breaking because they have so many miles on them.

so, why not just pay the same in the long run but have a nicer car? Ask your parents to co-sign for you.

BTW is your bday actually on the 22nd? Cuz mine is too then :)

p.s if the owner says he doesn't know if the timing belt has been done, chances are it hasn't been.

·
Registered
567 Posts
that or pattons

but yea the exhaust replacement is bull, u can buy an aftermarket, or ppl sell their stockers on here all the time

idk if i would trust the 2nd one, due to having to replace a motor and tranny. its either a lemon or been ridden hard

first one looks alright from just pictures

but yea i would look into the cars for sale section here

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
buy my car

Good call, it would basically be doing the same thing anyway by buying one of those $4500 ones, because you would have to pay a bunch down the road to fix stuff breaking because they have so many miles on them.

so, why not just pay the same in the long run but have a nicer car? Ask your parents to co-sign for you.

BTW is your bday actually on the 22nd? Cuz mine is too then :)

p.s if the owner says he doesn't know if the timing belt has been done, chances are it hasn't been.
im going into senior year this year, with a rediculous ice hockey schedule, leaving me with only having one night of work a week-money for gas. i dont know how id be able to come up with the money.

and yeah lol, august 22nd =] and yeah i figured bout the timing belt, plan was to buy the car and put it in the shop right away to get that done

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
That's why he said have it financed, better paying off a nice car, then paying for broken parts for a crappy one.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
^^ this man knows what hes talking about :)

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167600

also here is a pic when i came out to the gym tonight...now that im selling it i keep looking at her and she just looks better then ever and i know why cause shes saying noooooooooo but here is that pic i took...well two of em haha.

not sure why it made it that big...lol makes the pic look like such crap...then again it is a cell phone pic :)

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
im going into senior year this year, with a rediculous ice hockey schedule, leaving me with only having one night of work a week-money for gas. i dont know how id be able to come up with the money.

and yeah lol, august 22nd =] and yeah i figured bout the timing belt, plan was to buy the car and put it in the shop right away to get that done
lol weird, you're me but a year younger... I had a cheap civic last year because I played hockey every day and worked once a week lol. But just to warn you, cars with ultra high miles tend to have a lot of problems, most of which are unpredictable, I found myself strapped for cash because random things would stop working on my car. Wish I had my tib for my last year of high school though :( though the ricebox civic wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i talked to my dad about it, he said hes not going to co sign

says he doesnt want me having to pay off stuff my senior year =/

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Can't argue with the dad, but keep looking cuz both of those have huge Miles for 03's, good luck with your search/hockey/school/birthday

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can't argue with the dad, but keep looking cuz both of those have huge Miles for 03's, good luck with your search/hockey/school/birthday
thanks. it looks like its going to be between these two though. ive been looking for months and these are the best ive found. if you think ones a better choice than the other, let me know

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Well I don't want to steer you away from a tib, and I'm in canada so I have never really looked down there. So enjoy whichever one you pick :) they're great cars, despite what everyone says lolNo white text here...

·
Registered
186 Posts
well if these are the absolute only choices you have, I dont know either way you go your going to have to be fixin alot stuff, I would probably go with the white one, it reminds me of how my car used to look

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well if these are the absolute only choices you have, I dont know either way you go your going to have to be fixin alot stuff, I would probably go with the white one, it reminds me of how my car used to look
yeah, the white one is cheaper, with leather, and better sound system. hell of a lot of miles though =[

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
If the dealership is asking 700 to replace the stock exhaust, I would laugh in their face. You can get an aftermarket that will sound twice as nice, and give you some HP gains for less than that. If you were to post in the Parts Wanted for a stock exhaust, you would have 20 responses within the hour, and get one shipped to you for 100 bucks LOL

200,000 KM's (120K miles) on a car is alot, especially when you haven't owned it for the majority of its life. Hard to know what has been done maintenance wise unless they have a book of receipts for past work.

Keep in mind, they don't call them stealerships for nothing. I would really look into local private sellers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts