Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will be putting headers this weekend on my car but i want to know about extending the o2 sensors, what gauge wire etc...what i can **** up..etc because i want to have all the bungs and stuff put in before i go and put the headers in this weekend and i plan to extend the sensors so when i put them in i can just plug em in and hope they work so i wont throw a cel, throwing a cel = limp mode = crapola right? i have a 2006 SE, i wonder if i will get a cel by plugging em into the bungs. I need some help from some people who have already extended theres

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i do malogus, im doing worse im runnin punched out cats, but im probably not going to be in this state by the time i have to smog it, im prolly coming out there to arizona

·
Read Only
0 Posts
yeah i do malogus, im doing worse im runnin punched out cats, but im probably not going to be in this state by the time i have to smog it, im prolly coming out there to arizona
So are you running headers, or punched out cats? It's one or the other, you can't (logically) do both.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well gutted manifolds lol i still need to know what to do with my sensors so they dont give me that ugly orange cel

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
jus find a wire close to the same thickness, strip and the solder and wrap connections. Zip tie the wires away from the headers

·
Registered
939 Posts
I was told to use 16 guage, 4 conductor wire for extending the sensor wires...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
just make sure ur protect ur connections. they are exsposed to alot of conditions being on the underside of the car.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
well gutted manifolds lol i still need to know what to do with my sensors so they dont give me that ugly orange cel
OK, so you are gutting the manifolds, why would you need to extend the stock O2 sensors? The only reason you extend them some header installs is because the 02 sensor bungs welded into the headers is too far away for the wires to reach. If you are gutting your stock exhaust manifolds, the O2 sensors would be in the same location, and you wouldn't need to extend anything. Think about it.....

FYI, I installed my headers close to 3 years ago, and I have had my secondary O2 sensors (the ones you are supposed to extend with the header install) zip tied up in my engine bay. They have not thrown 1 CEL, and have not caused any tuning issues. I have even gotten them wet MANY times while washing the engine bay, including getting engine cleaner on them and have had 0 issues...

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
OK, so you are gutting the manifolds, why would you need to extend the stock O2 sensors? The only reason you extend them some header installs is because the 02 sensor bungs welded into the headers is too far away for the wires to reach. If you are gutting your stock exhaust manifolds, the O2 sensors would be in the same location, and you wouldn't need to extend anything. Think about it.....

FYI, I installed my headers close to 3 years ago, and I have had my secondary O2 sensors (the ones you are supposed to extend with the header install) zip tied up in my engine bay. They have not thrown 1 CEL, and have not caused any tuning issues. I have even gotten them wet MANY times while washing the engine bay, including getting engine cleaner on them and have had 0 issues...
I still believe this is ONLY applicable to owners of '03 models (with the 0-5V(?) O2 sensors). I can say for sure it does not work for '04 (0-1V O2 sensors)... and probably anything made since then.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If you follow your wires through the engine bay, you can remove certain clips and brackets and get plenty of wire. This way you dont have to cut/solder/and heat shrink the wires. There is plenty of wire, they leave lots of slack.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i have an 06 so i cant leave my sensors zip tied up, and if i put them in the stock location i will throw a cel aye??? I already have a set of manifolds i gutted and polished the inside of so they are just waiting to be installed, is it possible to remove the front sensor with the manifold on? if not then i wont install these till i have them extended

·
Read Only
0 Posts
yeah i have an 06 so i cant leave my sensors zip tied up, and if i put them in the stock location i will throw a cel aye??? I already have a set of manifolds i gutted and polished the inside of so they are just waiting to be installed, is it possible to remove the front sensor with the manifold on? if not then i wont install these till i have them extended
OK, so if you have a set of stock manifold (polished and gutted), why would you not jsut install the O2 sensors back in the STOCK locations. I'm not following your reasoning as to why you need to extend them? Are you trying to put them after a cat or something?

·
Registered
471 Posts
i got a 05 gt and didnt have to extend anything for my ssa headers.....props to malogus for taking this over :eek:)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
and u shouldnt throw a sell with stock headers ported... if anything there still closer to stock specs than say DC's or SSA's and people (most) dont throw CEL's with those.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
OK, so if you have a set of stock manifold (polished and gutted), why would you not jsut install the O2 sensors back in the STOCK locations. I'm not following your reasoning as to why you need to extend them? Are you trying to put them after a cat or something?
lol i'm in the same boat as malogus....

only reason i'd see for him wanting to extend them is if maybe he's planning on putting them after a cat in the exhaust or something.....

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
and then of coarse i would ask why move the location? most are in stock or very close to stock position

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no im worried that i will throw a CEL if i put them back in the stock location since they are hollowed out now, so i wanted to extend them back past the main cat so it would not throw a cel, i dont wanna be racing around and have to reset my car, have it go in limp mode or something

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
aslong as the actual hole for the o2 isnt messed up u will be fine

1 - 20 of 32 Posts