Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

NEED help. Noise getting worse.

4K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  GreatLakesTuscani 
#1 ·
So i searched around and it doesnt seem that anyone has the exact same problem as I am.

I own a 2006 tiburon SE. has a custom magnaflow exhaust. tein springs. bremmer kraft rims.

Heres the problem:
In the rear right of my car (assuming wheel area) there is a loud noise only when i turn left. It wasnt as bad 5 months ago but its getting worse now.

the noise:
its a loud thumping noise, almost like your shaking extra large marbles in a bag. keep in mind that it is only while turning left, placing pressure on the right side of my tib. the noise only comes from the rear. its getting loud to the point where its starting to scare me.

worst part:
the more weight in the car, the louder and worse it gets.
im a college student. i hall kids around for parties.

the noise was happening before i put my springs and rims on. dont recall the noise happening before i put the exhaust on. but i know (90%sure) that its not the exhaust now. i would take the exhaust and shake it around with alot of force when the car was in place and no noises were made nor was it touching anything.

help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

thank you

See less See more
#9 ·
It's hard to say for sure without a sound clip or video of the occurance, but this could be anything from a bad wheel bearing, a dust shield scraping against your rotor, or worst case scenario could be a cv shaft going bad. Check your CV boots for any leaking grease perhaps?

#10 ·
It's hard to say for sure without a sound clip or video of the occurance, but this could be anything from a bad wheel bearing, a dust shield scraping against your rotor, or worst case scenario could be a cv shaft going bad. Check your CV boots for any leaking grease perhaps?
cv boots was what was suggested to me by my dad.
i will take a look. but the problem is in the rear right.

#12 ·
Is it a clunking, a grind, a screech? Try and describe the sound a little more, or even better - Get a video/sound clip. The only reason I say this is, if it actually is an axle or cv boot problem, you should stay away from driving the car until the problem is resolved.

#13 ·
Is it a clunking, a grind, a screech? Try and describe the sound a little more, or even better - Get a video/sound clip. The only reason I say this is, if it actually is an axle or cv boot problem, you should stay away from driving the car until the problem is resolved.
i know this is a newbie question but are there cv boots in the rear?

i will post a sound clip when i can. ..
here is my attempt at describing it.
im turning off of a highway which puts me in a big loop left turn.
im going about 35-40 mph.
the car is making a thumping noise almost like a thump i can feel that kind of scares me. if i really pull hard on that left turn it gets louder.
its like you took big marbles, like the size of golfballs, put them in my fender, and as i turn u hear them all shift but only when turning left. and when im turning left and i hit a bump omg its like thunder. well im exagerating but its pretty annoying loud thumpy bumping noise. also while im going straight and drive lets say 20 mph then i hit some bumps, you can definitely hear it once the bumps are run over by the rear right wheel. or if i go over a speed bump to fast its pretty bad too.

#16 ·
Weird. If it's definitely the rear then it has nothing to do with axles or CV joints--none of those in the back.

Have you tried moving the wheels to different spots and see if the noise goes with that wheel/tire? Could just be a bad/flat spot on the tire. Any wear on the tire like it's contacting the strut assembly or fender or something?

Oh and check the sway bar end links. Mine have been loose after changing struts and not getting them tight enough, then they make noise over bumps.

#17 ·
i have tein springs. and bremmer kraft rims. both installed 2 weeks ago. but this was happening before installation. i had motegi rims and stock springs before this. the noise was there when i had stock springs, new spring and wheels didnt fix it.

the first thing i looked at was the sway bar end links. they are pretty beat up but seem to be in no shape to make that kind of noise

on the top of the strut there is a bolt that holds the compression of the springs down. think that could be loose on both my old strut and new one? theres a very low chance that they were both loose.

#19 ·
Ahhh didn't realize we were talking about the back wheels - Ignore my axle comments :) (I need to not skim posts of importance... Lol)

Anyways!! In regards to your top-nut being loose, that is a MUST check!! Could very well be your issue, I know I had that same issue for a while :)

#24 ·
Have you checked your spare tire tools and jack? I think at the least the tools are on the right side...

Idk, just thought it worth mentioning...

#28 ·
#30 ·
I had a similar sound coming from the rear wheel, and it did not end up having anything to do with the physical parts of the wheel. It was the little rain guard that sits in the front part of the wheel well. It was slightly loose, and I assume must have been hitting my wheel when I took a hard left. I fixed it by reseating it, and tightening the bolt.

#31 · (Edited)
try replacing your rear right strut, i had a similar noise except from the front 2 wheels a while ago. Replaced the front struts, noise gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.