Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i just got a used 2003 hyundai tiburon and i want to fix it up and idk what to do first?!?!!? if anyone on this site has some info for me i would really appreciate it thanks

·
Registered
542 Posts
well congrats on the tib! and welcome to NT! I would say if you want performance to get either a Short Ram Intake (SRI) or Cold Air Intake (CAI) - be careful though they say it can hydro lock your engine (kills it). and if you want to make it look pretty get 2006 (F/L) headlights, 2006 Front Bumper (F/L), HIDs and ect.. you can look all over the forums. you can go depending if your a 2.0 or 2.7 there are different threads all about what your asking.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks and yeah im looking for more of the interior stuff first like the ipod decks and the dash trim and all that crap lol then ill move onto rims and badges later on

·
Registered
495 Posts
First off, welcome. Second off, search. There's prolly a hundred posts like this. Best bang for your buck mod at this point for you would probably be intake. A true CAI will not hydrolock your engine as long as you don't submerge the filter while having the pedal on the ground. Exhaust is a good option too, and there are a crap ton of choices, but that's a bit more cash.

EDIT- The very first sticky in this section is probably the best place to go look

·
Registered
362 Posts
Congrats and welcome. I hope you become as addicted to NT as the rest of us. First, in order to hydrolock your tib you would have to basically drive it into a lake. Submerging the intake in water would create hydrolock, but just driving in the rain with a cold air won't hurt it. My understanding is a Short ram intake will increase acceleration, and a cold air intake will increase top end.

I would suggest starting with an intake and then exhaust. Header(s) Cat back. Short throw shifter.

For appearance, Interior trim, HID's, Angel Eyes, Led conversion, F/L Headlights. Take a look around, and be careful posting, Do your research before you ask a question.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
just check the sponsors websites for some ideas man. they have a bunch of great stuff for whatever aspect your looking to improve.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its got 86K and yeah i have to do the timming belt like right away lol i figured that and whats the deal with the water pumps?

·
Registered
362 Posts
its got 86K and yeah i have to do the timming belt like right away lol i figured that and whats the deal with the water pumps?
I don't know man. If you have that many miles I would go with maintainence first, then go for I/H/E, then stick with some apearance items. With that many miles, unless your planning a swap or rebuild, I would keep it easy on the engine.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The first thing i did when i got mine was the air flow! Intake, headers, exhaust (I/H/E). That should cost you a nice little penny. Good luck and congrats on the Tib!!!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just wondering.....is it gunna have a lot of problems with that many miles like is there anything in particular i should check first?

·
Registered
78 Posts
foxxkiller:

I would suggest just working your way down the 60,000 mile maintenance checklist - in no specific order.
As already noted, replace the timing belt if you're sure it wasn't already replaced during the 60K maintenance interval. I'm not positive about the water pump, but while you're getting the timing belt done, the water pump's right there. Change all the fluids, spark plugs and wires. Grease everything that moves, rotates, or slides (except, of cousre, the brake pads). For the fluids, use what is recommended in the maintennace book.
You really want to get your car up to a known maintenance level before you start thinking about add-ons and upgrades.

-Wayne

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi I got my Tib lately too :) Import from Germany but the previous owner was such an ******* to destroy and wreck the car so there is alot of repairing.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys lol bc im hoping this car doesnt explode on me and i want to do the right thing before i start spending money on it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts