Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought a project tiburon that has a ripp supercharger with a new vortech si head unit on it but the guy blew the rings out of it without a tune. I have a spare motor sitting in my garage im gonna use for it but i want to change some things. I would like to switch to e85 and run 12psi. im gonna keep stock internals but upgrade the piston rings and gap to support 15psi. I need help with correct size of injectors size of fuel pump and possible cams. Im new with tiburons so be nice please thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What year tiburon (early models had a return style fuel system)?
The standard Ripp kit on our cars uses a V5 G trim, which Si system did they swap it to?
Deatschwerks and Aeromotive make e85 compatible pumps, but I haven't heard of issues with Walbro pumps on e85. As for size, anything over 200 lph would be fine (aeromotive 340, dw65c, Walbro 255)
For injectors, on 15 psi you will most likely be in the 300 hp range, and on e85 you will need larger injectors as well. So 450cc minimum. I believe GTR injectors are 570cc, e85 compatible, and are a direct fit for a tiburon. They can also be sourced for a reasonable price.
Those are my suggestions until someone else more knowledgeable chimes in

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2003 tiburon gt return fuel lines automatic. It has a v2 si head unit. i believe it has a walbro 190 pump. Apexi safc2 tuner. will running e85 be enough for cooling the intake charge or do i need to run methanol injector. Wicb i have just not hooked up

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm not too sure you would be able to properly tune e85 on a SAFC2, since you have no control of timing or injectors. Most of the people who had trouble with these kits skimped out on the tuning, it's the most important part of this either going well or terribly wrong, so keep that in mind.

You might be able to get by with the 190lph but since you have return lines you can get a larger pump and never have to worry about it.

I'm currently running a Vortech at low boost with no intercooler, and my car has been running fine. (Eventually I plan on a liquid intercooler since real estate is limited.) I would always recommend something to cool intake temps, I've heard e85 is good at it, but an intercooler in addition if you can afford is extra safety.

I've heard a lot of mixed things about methanol, some people say it can blow up your engine if you run out or something fails, some people swear by it. Its a risk but the smallest form factor cooling you can get and used kits are fairly cheap. If I were to go this route, I would personally find a kit with a controller that lets you know if something fails and also lets you adjust when it starts spraying and increases progressively.

FYI, you can hook up any vortech 6 rib pulley to the Ripp shaft, just don't lose the keystone. So what I ended up doing was putting a large pulley at first (low boost) then a slightly smaller one when I felt comfortable everything was running fine. I definately recommend this and if you get a 4.5 inch pulley like me you can even drive it around without a tune, I just wouldn't push it hard lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of doing a low boost and high boost setting by putting a bov in it and using a boost controller. Like 8psi and 15. Use a methanol injector when it switches to 15. I believe using e85 will fine for 8 psi without cooling it. Do you know of any crank pulleys that will give more boost besides the ngm pulleys because i cant find any at the moment. I would like to run a standalone ecu mod but i get overwhelmed reading about how to plice into an ecu. Im not sure if the base maps will correct properly with the safc2 if i do e85. Alsk i really want to run two boost settings and tunes. 8psi and mX boost i can get out of the supercharger

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would use a standalone ecu like a megasquirt ms3x its not too expensive and you can run flex fuel run e85 and pump gas and you would probably want to go with 800cc to 1000cc injectors on e85 im doing something similar with a megasquirt ms2 and a turbo set up on my v6 but ill be using a completely stock untouched motor and will run pump gas on low boost and e85 on high boost. But for my goal of 400whp I would need 700cc injectors at least on e85 so I just decided to buy 1000cc injectors so I can habe room to expand later if I want more power, and rn I just have a walbro 255 for now

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the magasquirt control everything in the car. All the electronics etc and how many outputs does it have

·
Registered
256 Posts
If your can is manual then yes it can control everything abs will still work its its own system and cruise control works too

·
Registered
256 Posts
Also if you wire the stock ecu in parallel with the megasquirt you can get it to run and the automatic transmission still work the last owner who originally ran and built this ecu actually ran it on an automatic transmission

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a haltech e8 ecu. Has 8 outputs for real cheap. My question is can i use three outputs for ignition 1 for each coil pack and 3 for fuel. Run two injectors on one output since its a v6. And have to auxilary outputs?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found a haltech e8 ecu. Has 8 outputs for real cheap. My question is can i use three outputs for ignition 1 for each coil pack and 3 for fuel. Run two injectors on one output since its a v6. And have to auxilary outputs?
I found my answer. But does anyone know if you can run flex fuel on it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts