Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got a 04 tiburon gt 2.7l bought it not running stupid me person said all it needed was a radiator and would run i replaced radiator and nothing so i then replaced plugs wires crank sensor and timing belt i checked for spark by grounding it to metal and had someone crank it im getting fuel cause my plugs keep coming out soaked in gas im at a loss i even tried starting fluid in throttle body and tried push starting it to see if it would start and nothing i checked all my fuses as well i noticed my oil sensor im guessing is for the oil pump is coverd in oil and leaking as well i dont know what to do now please help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It said it is oem i bought it from autozone for 48 bucks and i got spark on cylinder 2 is tbe only one i checked i dont get why i have gas on plugs though from cranking so much but i did clean plug off when i took it out of cylinder then tested it all my plugs get soaked in gas though

·
Registered
407 Posts
Need to do a compression test on all cylinders. You are looking for 90psi or higher on all as a bare minimum. Throttle wide open while doing test.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thats my next move i think being that the person i bought car fdom could he let it overheat to long thats maybe why it needed a new radiator upon buying it they said they never overheated it but they obviously lied to me from the get go

·
Registered
407 Posts
How do i test ffo compression on cylinders 1.3.5 with intake manifold off
Sorry, i wasnt thinking about what i said with the throttle. That was a blanket statement i tell people im training at work lol.

Of course the intake plenum will be off on the vehicle. Pull the plugs on all cylinders, then do your test. The engine will still rotate like normal if you attempt to start it. Unplug the injector harness, and the coil packs.

·
Administrator
8,948 Posts
Sucks for you...several of us will try to help out.

So ya know, if everything else is OK, you can totally remove the cooling system, drain the engine and it WILL start....just shut it down quick. ;-)

Compression test is basic but easy.
Leakdown is harder but better.

Yes, some on here are "ASE" certified, some have been wrenching since the '60's....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i did compression test im getting 30to 60 psi on each cylinder does anybody know how I can tell if it's my piston rings or head gasket I don't have coolant in my oil which is weird

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
217 Posts
Well i did compression test im getting 30to 60 psi on each cylinder does anybody know how I can tell if it's my piston rings or head gasket I don't have coolant in my oil which is weird
If it's the head gasket you'll start seeing muddy coolant or frothy oil. If it's piston rings you'll see a lot of air out of your PCV and the smell of raw fuel in your oil pretty quick.

Do you know any history about the timing belt on this car? A very common problem with used non-runners is that the previous owner snapped the timing belt, replaced it, and gave up not knowing they bent all their valves. Sometimes they know they bent valves but "forget" to inform the buyer of that problem. Does your timing belt look newish? Is it even still there?

In all 3 scenarios where you've lost valves, head gaskets or piston rings, you'll have to pull the heads to inspect it. Might as well crack it open and find out.

Reactions: Dizzlepee

·
Registered
407 Posts
does anybody know how I can tell if it's my piston rings or head gasket
What you need to do is pour 2oz of motor oil in each cylinder as you test them. Look for a significant increase in PSI. If the compression jumps up, you are probably dealing with rings on a motor that has been sitting for a long time.

If the compression numbers stay the same, probably dealing with bent valves.

A headgasket failure does not necessarily have to leak coolant to oil, you can have a combustion chamber to coolant port failure too. One way to test this is by making sure the system is filled with coolant, then using a coolant pressure tester to pump the system up to 16psi, then use a bore scope to look into each cylinder through the spark plug hole and see if you can see coolant in the combustion chamber. Of course you'll need to blow all the oil out from the cylinders first from the previous test.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Crank sensor will immediately throw a code after cranking a few seconds with no signal. Check if your timing belt is broken

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont know a lot of history of the car but the timing belt was intact i already replaced it. Got it on TDC and the car wont start at all but from what i can see the oil is not milky looking

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I drained all my oil out and my coolant I don't have any water in my oil or vice versa can there still be a blown head gasket so now I'm confused do I have blown head gasket or my piston rings bad is that whyi have no compression

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
217 Posts
So I drained all my oil out and my coolant I don't have any water in my oil or vice versa can there still be a blown head gasket so now I'm confused do I have blown head gasket or my piston rings bad is that whyi have no compression
With that low of compression I would look into bent valves. Like I said previously, very common problem on non-runners sold as a fixer upper. Gauranteed they broke a belt, replaced it and never got it to run after that. Drop a bore scope down there and look for indentations from the valves making contact with the pistons. Otherwise you gotta pull the heads to investigate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honestly doesn't look like it's timing belt was ever replaced until I just replaced it it's warn down as hell and whenever I'm crank it it sound like it was compression it wasn't like a fast winding I guess you're right looks like I'm going to tear into this thing I'm definitely not know Master Mechanic and I'll never know everything about anything but my fault I should have checked this car on a lot better than I did

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont know a lot of history of the car but the timing belt was intact i already replaced it. Got it on TDC and the car wont start at all but from what i can see the oil is not milky looking

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So i was doing compression test started cylinder 1 and when i started cranking coolant shot up out of cylinder 3 all over my windshield is this supposed to happen i would think definitely head gasket leaking cause i had coolant in my cylinder is that right?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts