Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I'm in Red Deer and I have a 03 Tiburon GSR my BCM got water damaged and can't be repaired so I need to replace it. A new one from the dealership is outrageously over priced at $1200.00. I'm wondering if I manage to find a used one would it be able to communicate with the engine computer (ECM) and allow the car to start? I understand that it has to be a Canadian BCM because of the immobilizer that's in the car. Would a BCM from another Canadian Tib work in my car and allow it to start providing the part numbers match? Also if a used one would work does anybody know where I could get one? I having trouble finding Tibs at any auto wreckers around my area. The part number on mine is 95410 2C137

Ok I called the dealership and gave them my VIN # and they told me the BCM showing for my car was 2C130 but 137 is in my car. Then they said the manufacture changed the numbers as they made them and the numbers that should be the same as 137 is 130,132,1500. I asked them can a used one be put in and work right away and they said no it would be have to be initialized as in bring it into the dealership and hook it up to their computer and have them do it. They said an old one in a car at an auto wreckers or sitting on a shelf with no power going to it for so long would have to be reinitialized. Even a new one after being installed in my car would have to be hooked up to their computer and be programmed. I don't know about all of that. I've had my battery out of my car for months during the winter and when I would put it back in the spring the car would fire up with no problems and everything working.

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Yeah you don't have enough posts to message someone, you need a certain amount like 5 or 10 or something.

Hmm, ill see what I can find for you as far as parts go.

Are you sure you didn't just blow the BCM fuse? How do you know you damaged it?
@Lessaj you know lots about the electrical settings, any comments here?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I replaced the BCM in my former winter car (another tiburon). There's tons of used ones out there for decently cheap prices. I wouldn't pay more than $200 for one. I got mine for almost half that (thanks @GK27V6 and @Lessaj)

Check out kijiji and www.car-part.com (they actually have a great search tool for finding the same BCM based on part no.). Having the list of compatible part no. from the dealership will also help a lot. Once you have one it's a daily easy swap. Takes about 30min or less and you just need a #2 Phillips screwdriver and I believe a 10mm socket on a ratchet or a wrench. Just drop the kick plate under your steering wheel, pull all the front connectors, drop the BCM, then pull all rear connectors. Installation is reverse removal. Be sure to disconnect your battery prior to install as well.

And the code for the immobilizer is stored in your ECU so there's no problem swapping the BCM.

Best of luck fellow GS-R owner!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah you don't have enough posts to message someone, you need a certain amount like 5 or 10 or something.

Hmm, ill see what I can find for you as far as parts go.

Are you sure you didn't just blow the BCM fuse? How do you know you damaged it?

@Lessaj you know lots about the electrical settings, any comments here?
I don't drive my Tib during winter, I just leave it outside and the snow gets on it. Spring is here now and it's time to drive her again but she wouldn't start and the power windows, power door locks, tail lights, dash lights and flashers don't worked. Checked all fuses outside under the hood and on the BMC and there all good. The BCM one in the yellow casing is fine too. I read online here that it could be the BCM. I took it out and bingo water damage. Circuit board has some corrosion and oxidation on it. I tried to clean it up and when I put it back in it didn't work except now I notice when the BCM fuse is out the car will start but no interior lights, stereo or the digital clock. I can push the fuse back in and the all that will work again and the car will remain running. But the fuse has to be out at first in order to start. It doesn't matter if that fuse is in or out the power windows, flashers, dash lights and tail lights don't work. So with all that said I'm pretty sure I need another BCM because of all these issues. I asked a guy on eBay that fixes BCM's and he said if it has water damage he can't fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok bought a used BCM from a wrecker in Edmonton that the numbers matched my VIN and they said was tested. I hooked it up and all my electrical issues with the signal lights, power windows etc went away but the car wouldn't start. Because my car has the immobilizer I brought it to a dealership for them to program and they said they could not program it. It kept booting them out. The girl at the desk told me she talked to a mechanic that use to work there who worked on a lot of Tibs and he said you can't program a used BCM to another car even if the VIN's match. It's a one time programming. Personally I'm still on the fence with that but anyways I got my money back for the used one, got Hyundai to order a new BCM and convinced them to wave the charges for the attempt to program the used one. They phone me after they were finished programming and said that the airbag light is on. They asked me if it was on before and I said no because I wasn't quite sure at the time but thinking back now and talking to my buddy we believe it was but not until I started having the BCM issues. Now to deal with this airbag light they want to charge me a 100 dollars to scan the car and see what's wrong. Do you think with all the BCM problems I had it caused the airbag light to come on? And if so wouldn't you think the tech would have seen the light on after installing the new one and would have tried to erase the error code? I would assume that would be part of the install process. Checking everything, clearing any errors. The girl at the desk said that he would have cleared and reset everything during the installation but I don't believe her. It's not written on the work order that he did that. I highly doubt this air bag light being on is something different and not related to the BCM and if it was wouldn't the light just come on again after erasing the error. Any thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts