Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i’m a more then decade late on the Aem FIC 6 and I’ve searched all the forums on here about the FIC and watch those aem vids and even went to different forums to try and figure out how to Maf Clamp My 07 I4 automatic. I have all the turbo parts just chilling in my garage waiting to be installed. I went the route of installing the piggyback first so i could get familiar with how everything works before i throw the turbo on. I’ve checked my wiring multiple times and even had to re wire bc of mistakes.
So My issue is now is the maf Clamping..
For the life of me i can’t seem to get it right even after watching the AeM maf clamp video.. bc i would either get a P0101 or P0102 Cel pending code or the Cel would just come on while i’m attempting to do some runs for data logging.

Example:
P0101 would come on if I go to set up MAF and input 4.5 and have percentage instead of voltage.

P0102 code would come on when i input 4.5 and have Voltage chosen instead.

both codes won’t appear on the scanner it’s one or the other.. it only happens when i switch percentage or voltage??!!

Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
799 Posts
Post a picture of your MAF table and MAF settings for each variation whether it's by percent or by voltage.

The MAF clamp should start around 4.88v or lower then the FIC is supposed to take over. If you are seeing codes that say MAF voltage too low, then your MAF map is wrong. If you are seeing MAF voltage too high, then your MAF clamp and or map is wrong.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Post a picture of your MAF table and MAF settings for each variation whether it's by percent or by voltage.

The MAF clamp should start around 4.88v or lower then the FIC is supposed to take over. If you are seeing codes that say MAF voltage too low, then your MAF map is wrong. If you are seeing MAF voltage too high, then your MAF clamp and or map is wrong.
Computer Personal computer Output device Gadget Laptop

So this is currently the table on Voltage.. its all zeroed out. Its just one table and on the setting you can change it into Percentage. This is where I'm confused on bc the aem maf clamp video it instructs to use Voltage.... on here peeps who use the fic uses Percentage and Clamps at 4.3 or 4.5...etc

Attach is a WOT Run That I did earlier today that you can Import on the AeM Log

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
799 Posts
According to the log file it looks like the MAF clamp is doing its job properly. The MAF input is way up above 5volts around 5.9volts in some cases, and the output from the FIC is clamped at a maximum of 4.88volts as defined by your settings. Are you by chance tapping the MAF signal instead of intercepting it? The MAF lead should go to the MAF IN on your FIC then the MAF OUT should go to your MAF IN on the ECM.

This is also a bit weird because your MAF should never reach 5volts naturally aspirated. That's like stage 1 supercharged territory on a V6 pinning the throttle at 7000 RPM.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Maf in and Maf out are both intercepted from the fic and i forgot to mention that i have a injen cai that’s been on the tib for over 10 years without any cel issues… i was curious if that could be causing the 5+ voltage issue due to change of air flow??

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
799 Posts
No the CAI should not exceed the 5V mark on your MAF. Even though you are flowing more air there's no way you'll max that out without forced induction. On my V6 if I'm pinning the throttle in 3rd gear, uphill, I see a maximum of about 150g/s which is around the 4volt mark. The 2.0 MAF has a similar calibration table curve on the ECM but has a slightly lower limit of 200g/s at 5volts so I would imagine the max you'll see is around 120g/s around 3.5volts.

The Injen CAI is a slightly smaller diameter pipe which can accelerate the air as it flows over the MAF. That could give you a slightly higher reading but not to the effect of going over 5volts. You may have a faulty or off brand MAF sensor giving you headaches. You should try a new OEM replacement and see if the problems persist.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No the CAI should not exceed the 5V mark on your MAF. Even though you are flowing more air there's no way you'll max that out without forced induction. On my V6 if I'm pinning the throttle in 3rd gear, uphill, I see a maximum of about 150g/s which is around the 4volt mark. The 2.0 MAF has a similar calibration table curve on the ECM but has a slightly lower limit of 200g/s at 5volts so I would imagine the max you'll see is around 120g/s around 3.5volts.

The Injen CAI is a slightly smaller diameter pipe which can accelerate the air as it flows over the MAF. That could give you a slightly higher reading but not to the effect of going over 5volts. You may have a faulty or off brand MAF sensor giving you headaches. You should try a new OEM replacement and see if the problems persist.
So I ended up disconnecting the fic and plug the oem harness back to the ecu… everything is running great no cel no nothing. So i’m thinking maybe it’s my harness or it could be the extra wiring length thats causing the issue.. or maybe the fic it’s self is not functioning right even with the right firmware flashed on it … gonna try and shorten my harness or my last resort is to just straight wire it to the oem harness..

But i’m thinking the extra wiring lengths is causing the signals to be out of wack.
Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Flooring Auto part

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
799 Posts
The extra length should be OK. If anything it would cause some sensors to read slightly less due to the added resistance. But we're only talking millivolts of a difference with 24-36" of added length. I wonder if there is short between your MAF and another sensor that's causing it to appear over 5volts? Try continuity testing pins near your MAF pin to determine if you have any bleed over from nearby pins.

Which firmware versions did you try with the AEM FIC? I've seen references to z104 & z110 for the secondary chip then x300 & x381 for the primary chip. I believe you want z110 for the secondary and x381 for the primary but x300 will likely work too.

Here is a thread with the chip firmware: Latest AEM FIC firmware

1 - 10 of 10 Posts