Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search, and I'm not really sure what to make of this code, whether it just indicates the ECU is reading a LOT more air than it's used to or if there's a real problem.

The code is:
P0103 Mass air flow (MAF) sensor/volume air flow (VAF) sensor – high input Wiring short to positive, MAF/VAF sensor, ECM

Anyone else get this? And, does it eventually go away? I've noticed that with each drive the power on the car gets stronger (as the ECU adjusts), and when the CEL came on just an hour ago it was after a nice run up through the gears at WOT.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
your TPS sensor is bad.
Replaceas needed
Chase
this happenes somtimes with cars that have CIA or SRI

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
aLiEn_sPoReZ said:
I did a search, and I'm not really sure what to make of this code, whether it just indicates the ECU is reading a LOT more air than it's used to or if there's a real problem.

The code is:
P0103 Mass air flow (MAF) sensor/volume air flow (VAF) sensor – high input Wiring short to positive, MAF/VAF sensor, ECM

Anyone else get this? And, does it eventually go away? I've noticed that with each drive the power on the car gets stronger (as the ECU adjusts), and when the CEL came on just an hour ago it was after a nice run up through the gears at WOT.

Yout TPS is not bad.. that code is standard on supercharged cars.. what happened was the MAF sent more voltage to the ecu than it wants to see... the ecu has maps for up to 5 volts - but the MAF has the ability to send more voltage than that - The stock engine cannot flow enough air to trigger this code.. but when the supercharger starts pulling more air thru the MAF than stock ever would, it see a huge spike of voltage and can not adjust the fuel for the amount of air.. and it throws the code.. there are several remedies for this, you can get a voltage clamp, or you can get a mafextender - both are capable of fixing the problem...

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
ooops, didnt know he was SC.
maybe its a softcode or somthing.
oops again foir false info.
My bad
Chase

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Hello,

This code is a normal soft code that all the F/I guys get. In the Siemens software, it has parameters set to see a certain amount of air flow at any given time. When the Maf sees 60% less or 30% more airflow than it normally is supposed to see at a given time, the ECU throws a soft code to make you aware that it is seeing something that is not quite right but not detrimental to the engine. When it comes on, leave it on and do not clear the code. As you drive the car, the adaptive strategy in the ECU will learn this new parameter and your driving style and actually adapt to it. After a while, the light will come on and go out after soo many drive cycles and eventually not come on anymore. This code is not telling you that you are spiking the Maf, just that the ECU is seeing a quicker ramp of voltage than it was programmed to see at a given time. The only time you will need the MafExtender or a voltage clamp is when you are actually peaking the range of the Maf, which in this case is 4.885. You can always take a volt meter and check the incoming voltage signal from the Maf signal wire on a full pull on the dyno to see what your peak voltage is. This will tell you if you are getting anywhere near your peak.

Thanks T.C.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Nextgen03gt said:
Hello,

This code is a normal soft code that all the F/I guys get. In the Siemens software, it has parameters set to see a certain amount of air flow at any given time. When the Maf sees 60% less or 30% more airflow than it normally is supposed to see at a given time, the ECU throws a soft code to make you aware that it is seeing something that is not quite right but not detrimental to the engine. When it comes on, leave it on and do not clear the code. As you drive the car, the adaptive strategy in the ECU will learn this new parameter and your driving style and actually adapt to it. After a while, the light will come on and go out after soo many drive cycles and eventually not come on anymore. This code is not telling you that you are spiking the Maf, just that the ECU is seeing a quicker ramp of voltage than it was programmed to see at a given time. The only time you will need the MafExtender or a voltage clamp is when you are actually peaking the range of the Maf, which in this case is 4.885. You can always take a volt meter and check the incoming voltage signal from the Maf signal wire on a full pull on the dyno to see what your peak voltage is. This will tell you if you are getting anywhere near your peak.

Thanks T.C.
TC TO THE RESCUE AGAIN!

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Now for those of you who think I'm being harsh for no reason, Mr. Sh*tmaster didn't seem to have any problem doing the exact same thing to me over the difference between an M90 and an MP90 supercharger in this thread at post #17. Payback's a b*tch isn't it? Now get the f*ck out of my thread.

·
Banned
312 Posts
It's not 'your' thread. Stop acting like a prick, you could have searched a little harder and found the answer, i just did.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
UnHolyTib said:
Yout TPS is not bad.. that code is standard on supercharged cars.. what happened was the MAF sent more voltage to the ecu than it wants to see... the ecu has maps for up to 5 volts - but the MAF has the ability to send more voltage than that - The stock engine cannot flow enough air to trigger this code.. but when the supercharger starts pulling more air thru the MAF than stock ever would, it see a huge spike of voltage and can not adjust the fuel for the amount of air.. and it throws the code.. there are several remedies for this, you can get a voltage clamp, or you can get a mafextender - both are capable of fixing the problem...
That sounds right. He has an 04. I never had that problem with my 03 or sofakingrich's 03 when we sc'd. I'm just guessing the it's different for the 03's? I think the O2 sensor voltages are different fo the 03's also.

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
Nextgen03gt said:
Hello,

Thanks T.C.
:2_idea: Best post in the thread.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
aLiEn_sPoReZ said:
Now for those of you who think I'm being harsh for no reason, Mr. Sh*tmaster didn't seem to have any problem doing the exact same thing to me over the difference between an M90 and an MP90 supercharger in this thread at post #17. Payback's a b*tch isn't it? Now get the f*ck out of my thread.

whatever you say... took a whole 30 seconds to do an advanced search in the v6 F/I forums and pulled this thread up with a post from TC himself saying pretty much exactly what he is saying in here again... you've been around long enough, you should know better. just because you are too lazy to look for the answer doesn't mean you should act like a noob and litter this forum with your questions. i'm sure you've busted some people's balls for the exact same thing you are doing now.

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24675

Nextgen03gt said:
Hey Guys,

I have posted a long time ago about this issue. Hyundai has set a parameter in the programming that if the MAF sees 30% more airflow than it normally sees, it sets a soft code which is a MAF high input code. If it sees 60% less airflow through the MAF, it will throw a MAF low input code. Both of these codes are soft codes meaning that it is not a major concern and will not affect the tuning of the car. If you drive the car normal, unboosted for so many drive cycles, eventually the light will go out. We have also seen on Tibby03's car that it seems that the computer eventually learns his driving habits of a boosted state quite often and seems to have adapted to his driving habits. With 15lbs of boost every day, the CEL hasnt come back on in months.

As far as the MAF being topped out, we have flowed the MAF and found that it will handle upwards of 450 HP without pegging. We are making that kind of HP at the crank of Tibby03's car and havent pegged the MAF yet.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions about certain things, you can ask in my forum or give us a call as we have researched about everything on this car, to help answer any of your questions.

Thanks T.C.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts