Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought this 2003 Tiburon GT with the Infinity sound system including the 8 inch sub and a Dual head unit. Now I already wanted to replace the sub but last night it rained horribly while I was working and I went out to the car, jumped in and noticed a little bit of water getting in through the seam on the rear panel of the driver's side. I had heard that this could be from the sunroof channel backing up... And then, the passenger side rear speaker started crackling and hissing extremely loud and would not stop. So I shut the radio off and start cussing the world. Needless to say, should I assume that the stock amp is hooked up to all of the speakers?? Even with the aftermarket head unit? And does that sound like the amp or the speaker that is giving me problems? Which side is the amp on anyhow?

Thanks!

-- And the speaker had a little bit of crackling in it this morning but not as bad.... She might dry out, but I need to fix this anyhow!

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
yeah aron44 is right. you have to take out the back seats to get at it and take out the whole rear side panel to get it.

but before you go tearing appart your interior, did you check the balance and fade to make sure its just the one speaker? it could be the water seeped in on the passenger side and fried that speaker.

·
I
1,319 Posts
but before you go tearing appart your interior, did you check the balance and fade to make sure its just the one speaker? it could be the water seeped in on the passenger side and fried that speaker.
Good idea. My bet is that the speaker is blown though. My experience with amps is that if one channel goes out, then at least one other channel goes as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I am kind of thinking. The thing is... when I turn the radio on, the noise immediately happens and changing the fade or balance does nothing about it. Speaker, right? And I was driving it all day today... sounded fine. You can tell the problem still needs to be dealt with cuz the sound quality isn't a top.

·
I
1,319 Posts
If you fade it and balance it, and nothing happens, it's either every speaker, or not the speakers at all. I'd look at the amp. I've never seen the factory amp, but with most amps, if water somehow gets in them and fries something, you can tell. So if you can open up the amp and look at it, or take a picture and I'll look at it for you, we should be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
What you need to do is just wait lol. **** used to happen 2 me everytime it rained and one time it was so bad I thot itwas permanent. I tilted the sunroof back and near the back where it looks like water would collect there was like a seperation of two pieces of metal that seemed to be orginally held together with sealent/adhesive. I applied rtv silicon/ adhesive and the problem has since been gone.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I will most definately give that a try. I mean, they are working fine again, besides the blown sub but that has been like that. And my bro said that there are water channels in the sunroof that need to be blown out every so often as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts