Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright well i was having some problems with my tranny and for the couple of you that gave me suggestions i thank you! i just ordered a clutchmasters stage 2 and fidanza flywheel and cant wait for them to come in. im also having a new master and slave cylinder put in...little question though...the guy at that i talked to from ultrarev.com (where i ordered it) told me that the sound i read about that the cm stage 2 and fidanza flywheel will go away after i get the clutch broken in...is this true?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
That noise you were told about is called clutch chatter. I just got my RIPP Stage 2 installed with a LW flywheel and there is no clutch chatter whatsoever. This was my concern too before I got one. I really dont know why some do it and some dont.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
alright well i was having some problems with my tranny and for the couple of you that gave me suggestions i thank you! i just ordered a clutchmasters stage 2 and fidanza flywheel and cant wait for them to come in. im also having a new master and slave cylinder put in...little question though...the guy at that i talked to from ultrarev.com (where i ordered it) told me that the sound i read about that the cm stage 2 and fidanza flywheel will go away after i get the clutch broken in...is this true?
Well, i'm not sure what it was you read about but perhaps I can shed some light from my experiences.

I used to own a 2003 GTV6 6spd and upgraded to a Centerforce DF Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel (HY5). I also had some other basic bolt ons on the car like a CAI and exhaust, underdrive pulleys etc.

Upon Idle (especially after the car warmed up) one would hear a "rattling" sound. Also the sound was REALLY obvious when flooring it in 6th gear at around 40 mph (even 5th as long as the rpms were around 2400-2500 rpm).

I called TC at NGM (since i ordered this stuff from him) and Tim told me that it was the idler gears in the transmission making the noise. Since i'm using the Fidanza flywheel, these noises will become audible in certain situations since the factory Dual Mass Flywheel which acted as a harmonic dampener is no longer present (also a reason why these factory flywheels weigh close to 30lbs.)

There was also a piece of paper that was included with the Fidanza flywheel explaining any car that is equipped with a Dual Mass Flywheel if replaced with this aluminum unit may have the driver experience additional 'noises" but at which will NOT damage the car.

If this is what you're talking about then no it will most likely NOT dissappear after break in.

It's interesting though to hear and it makes sense. If at idle you hear it and you press the clutch pedal in the noise will dissappear. Only because the transmission is no longer "connected" to the crankshaft via pressure plate and flywheel so the vibrations don't affect the idler gears in the tranny. I guess it's a 6 speed deal since i haven't heard about any 5 speed V6er's complaining about noises.

Sorry for the long post but hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.