Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second clutch I've put in this car.

2003 Tiburon GT V6 - 6 Speed.

Running a Fidanza Flywheel, and a ClutchMasters FX100 clutch.

Followed the youtube video when I first installed my clutch, and watched it again and followed the directions when installing this new one.

Finally get the engine/transmission/everything in the car, go to start the engine, and No-Go. The clutch pedal seems to bottom out before it hits the starter safety switch.

What did I do wrong?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I removed the pin from the slave cylinder, and pushed the piston all the way in with a screwdriver.

If I keep pressure on the slave cylinder piston, the clutch pedal travels normally, eg all the way to the floor. If I do not put pressure on the slave cylinder piston, the next time the clutch pedal is pressed the slave cylinder piston starts its travel from around halfway up the bore. The clutch pedal "bottoms out" whenever the slave cylinder piston hits the circlip at the end of the bore.

This tells me that the clutch pressure plate, release fork, release fork lever, and slave cylinder pin are responsible for providing the return travel to the slave cylinder. If one of those are bent or misaligned or incorrectly installed, the slave cylinder wont be pushed all the way back to the fully retracted position, and the pedal must stop when the piston reaches the end of the bore.

Looks like I'll be pulling this engine... AGAIN.

Looking back, I had forgotten about the video posted in the stickies. It wasnt until after i tried using screwdrivers to pry the transmission from the engine that I looked it up and realized that I needed to remove the shift fork lever to separate the engine from the transmission.

I may have damaged the shift fork.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick update - Just got the engine back out and was able to perform some inspections..

I doubt that the pressure plate is damaged - unless it arrived already damaged at my house.

I saw no obvious defects in workmanship - The pressure plate was torqued evenly in a star pattern when it was installed. The clutch friction disc was installed with the "flange" side(the side of the clutch with the raised section compared to centerline) towards the flywheel. The throwout bearing was engaged to the pressure plate upon dissasembly, indicating that it was "snapped in" correctly.

I'm still suspecting a damaged release fork, although I do not have the specs to measure if it is bent - it /appears/ normal. I have already ordered a new release fork - although it's been backordered until 2/11/19.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New release fork came in today. Installed fork, bolted tranny to engine, snapped in throw out bearing.

The arm on the clutch fork is almost 3/4 of the way of its travel limit. If I put a big wrench on the arm, it feels like it just barely disengages the clutch before "bottoming out" at the end of its travel limit.

Are there tolerance limits available for this?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spoke with Clutchmasters techline today.

He assured me that "all our clutches are tested on a stock flywheel for operation before shipping" and "we use a modified throwout bearing so it can be easily released from the pressure plate after testing".

I'm still not convinced. This was a completely working (albeit worn) flywheel and clutch combo that I removed from the car. All suspect parts have been replaced. The new release fork fits quite well, no lateral play at all with smooth operation. The Fidanza HY5 flywheel was verified having the correct 0.316 inch flywheel step (the distance from the friction surface to the pressure plate mounting surface). The new clutch friction material was also verified having the in-tolerance thickness of 0.320 inch. The friction material slides smoothly on the input shaft.

He suggested a possible issue with the throw out bearing engagement clip. It's possible that the throw out bearing or the retainer clip on the pressure plate is allowing the throw out bearing to travel too far towards the transmission. There's no way for me to test and verify this in my garage, though.

I'm determined to get to the bottom of this. Tomorrow I'll ship my flywheel and clutch to clutchmasters and let them take a look. If a solution still has not made itself known, the only other option is to purchase a clutch from a different brand.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
You could buy or rent a fiber optic camera and stick it in a vent hole so see what's going on. I'm still leaning torwards bent pressure plate fingers or a failing slave and/or master cylinder.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shipped my flywheel and entire clutch assembly to Clutchmasters, in California.

Just spoke with Kevin at CM. He didn't go into detail, and my phone signal was spotty, but he did verify that the clutch assembly "was off" when they installed it on their test equipment.

They're replacing the pressure plate.

The interaction with CM was overall positive, but I wish they were a bit more communicative. I had to initiate contact each time to request information. I do understand they're a performance company, but I also wish they would have cross-shipped a replacement clutch to me when the RMA was requested instead of making the customer wait two weeks for shipping and testing.

·
Administrator
8,816 Posts
Shipped my flywheel and entire clutch assembly to Clutchmasters, in California.

Just spoke with Kevin at CM. He didn't go into detail, and my phone signal was spotty, but he did verify that the clutch assembly "was off" when they installed it on their test equipment.

They're replacing the pressure plate.

The interaction with CM was overall positive, but I wish they were a bit more communicative. I had to initiate contact each time to request information. I do understand they're a performance company, but I also wish they would have cross-shipped a replacement clutch to me when the RMA was requested instead of making the customer wait two weeks for shipping and testing.
Well, yes, it sucks on the time lag.
Glad they're taking care of you though. Poop happens at times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has the new pressure plate worked for you? I'm running into the same exact problem right now and its the most irritating thing. It seems like the throw out bearing isn't snapping into the pressure plate whenever I push the lever in. I'm not sure if the fork is bent or if its the same issue like yours where the pressure plate is defective, but either way, I love this car and can't wait to stop working on it, lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has the new pressure plate worked for you? I'm running into the same exact problem right now and its the most irritating thing. It seems like the throw out bearing isn't snapping into the pressure plate whenever I push the lever in. I'm not sure if the fork is bent or if its the same issue like yours where the pressure plate is defective, but either way, I love this car and can't wait to stop working on it, lol.
What did you ever get to happen? I seem to have the same problem, I can’t get the throw out bearing to snap back into place

·
Administrator
8,816 Posts
What did you ever get to happen? I seem to have the same problem, I can’t get the throw out bearing to snap back into place
Your problem sounds different from this thread...while I normally deal with "push style" ToB's, pull type seem to want a positive ToB to pressure plate engagement....may take more force, or, you have a clutch hydraulic issue preventing positive engagement....could be as simple as air in the system, could be something else....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts