Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a new exhaust. it sounds great and loud. But after some time it gets annoying.
I installed 2 db killers and its now "ok" its just legal but not really great to drive with for long time.

So i now have not a lot of options left. I want to switch between loud and silent. I just bought a exhaust valve (contains 2 valves)
My idea is to put muffler packing in one muffler and have a valve on the other.

Slope Font Rectangle Parallel Auto part

I quickly drawed a example. So my question is. Is this possible. what about backpressure. And the packing material i bought is some sort of ceramic mat.I heard it can burn out my muffler or something so idk.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Depends on what this magic "muffler packing" does (never heard of it) but it doesn't sound like the best idea to me. If it significantly reduces the flow to that side (which is about the only way it can make it quieter) it'll either force the exhaust gases to the other side with the "noisy" one or create too much backpressure and hurt performance. Seems you'd be better off getting some decent mufflers that actually quiet the exhaust without choking it off.

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Tiburon GS Spec-R
4 Posts
go back to stock exhaust and weld exhaust cut outs which you can manually open it or have remote control feature to open em
This is a great idea, there is a Donut Media video on it on youtube, they put it on a V6 mustang, and it helped a lot, personally, i would run the flange to a side pipe, and then have your mufflers separate, but if thats too over the top, (like most of my ideas lol), you could always run an open pipe as long as you keep your windows down to help with O2 poisoning, or whatever its called.

·
Always Here To Help
3,926 Posts
So it depends on your goal… do you want to be super quiet and then open up to obnoxiously loud? Do you want to always have some exhaust noise and then open up to super loud? Or do you want a combination and when opened up is loud but not too crazy?

Ive done all 3 before, and you can get as crazy as you want and change up the placement of the cutout to earlier up the exhaust stream, or even put the cutout on and then weld in a flange and attach another muffler pipe and run a full custom exhaust that exits as a single (one side for quiet, one side for loud). I can draw you some up if you are curious.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Actually your Idea is good - just put the valve as close as possible to the divider. If the Material in your muffler is good material, it wont burn down - also the rear of the exhaust doesnt get thaaat hot.
But honestly, you can easily buy yourself a good resonator directly so you dont have to worry about packing the muffler urself and maybe clogging the exhaust flow :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts