Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Tiburon Owners,

My name is, Marianna, and I'm new to this site. I own a 2006 GT V6 Tiburon. My baby's exterior is black with tan leather seats. I bought the car in May 2020 with around 46,500 miles. I couldn't resist buying it after the test drive, I knew I had to take it home with me.

I have been reading some of the posts on this site and I had to make an account, so I could communicate with the community of Tiburon owners.

Driving the car in Minneapolis, MN, I have hit a few potholes...I try my best to drive over them slowly, if I cannot avoid them. However, around the end of March 2021, I hit a pothole in the middle of the night and it dented my front passenger side rim. I had to get a replacement for the time being.

I am considering going from size 17" to 16". However, I like the idea of having 18" for the style. Any thoughts on rim sizes for the Tiburon, especially when driving around the city with many potholes?

I need to get new suspensions cause my rear ones are leaking and because I read that it will help with the bumps/potholes. I want something that is smooth and durable. Any suggestions? I would prefer something that isn't going to cost me a grand or more, but also something that isn't cheap and will have to be upgraded often.

Nonetheless, I'm excited to be a part of the Tiburon community and socializing with all of you!

Thanks,

Away2Mars

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
425 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Nice find! 46k miles is very low mileage for an 06. Make sure you get your timing belt replaced if the previous owner doesn't have any maintenance history with receipts to prove it was replaced recently. The timing belt interval is 60k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. If you lose your belt, you will lose all your valves and have to rebuild your heads and possibly the motor. Based on age alone you should be on your 3rd timing belt by now. The good ole trusty Gates TCKWP315 kit is a safe bet. If you spend less than $160 on the whole kit, you're probably buying a counterfeit kit.

If potholes are a problem the last thing you want are larger diameter wheels because you will need a smaller sidewall to fit within your wheel wells. You will damage your new wheels faster with smaller sidewalls. I don't have any recommendation on wheels because I'm not interested in aesthetics. I would recommend looking for 17" in a style that you like and keep the OEM tire size.

I just installed a set of KYB struts with Eibach lowering springs this last year. Each strut is only about $60 per unit and the lowering springs were $160 on sale. You can re-use your old springs and just replace the struts for about $240 in parts. KYB are one of the best OE replacements you can get. If potholes are a problem for you, I don't recommend adjustable coilovers because they'll be much stiffer and damage is more likely to occur on your roads.

Reactions: GK27V6

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum!

Nice find! 46k miles is very low mileage for an 06. Make sure you get your timing belt replaced if the previous owner doesn't have any maintenance history with receipts to prove it was replaced recently. The timing belt interval is 60k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. If you lose your belt, you will lose all your valves and have to rebuild your heads and possibly the motor. Based on age alone you should be on your 3rd timing belt by now. The good ole trusty Gates TCKWP315 kit is a safe bet. If you spend less than $160 on the whole kit, you're probably buying a counterfeit kit.

If potholes are a problem the last thing you want are larger diameter wheels because you will need a smaller sidewall to fit within your wheel wells. You will damage your new wheels faster with smaller sidewalls. I don't have any recommendation on wheels because I'm not interested in aesthetics. I would recommend looking for 17" in a style that you like and keep the OEM tire size.

I just installed a set of KYB struts with Eibach lowering springs this last year. Each strut is only about $60 per unit and the lowering springs were $160 on sale. You can re-use your old springs and just replace the struts for about $240 in parts. KYB are one of the best OE replacements you can get. If potholes are a problem for you, I don't recommend adjustable coilovers because they'll be much stiffer and damage is more likely to occur on your roads.
Hey, Chase,
Thanks for responding!

I found the timing belt you recommended on Amazon for $168.60, before tax.
Kit contains:
Gates Timing Belt - Made in U.S.A.
Gates Water Pump - Made in U.S.A.
Gates T42014 Idler - Made in Korea
Gates T43193 Hydraulic Tensioner - Made in Korea
Gates T41040 Belt Tensioner - Made in Korea

I found a KYB set on Ebay for $269.49, before tax.
KYB Excel-G Gas Struts Set of 2 Front & 2 Rear New For Hyundai TIBURON 2003-08. Sold by BOLD AUTO PARTS STORE
The Set Contains:
KYB 333508 - Excel-G Front Passenger Side Twin-Tube Strut KYB 333509 - Excel-G Front Driver Side Twin-Tube Strut KYB 333510 - Excel-G Rear Passenger Side Twin-Tube Strut KYB 333511 - Excel-G Rear Driver Side Twin-Tube Strut

Any recommendations for where I can find the KYB full assembly set? I'm having a difficult time finding a full set that has all the parts.. unless it's best to get everything separately.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
425 Posts
The Amazon kit is legitimate, that's where I bought two kits in 4 years.

I don't believe KYB comes in a full assembly with springs included. Most people reuse their old springs, bump stop and rubber inserts. Atleast that's what I did. If you want a complete assembly try Mando which is the OEM brand. They may offer a complete assembly.

Reactions: Away2Mars

·
Administrator
8,981 Posts
The Amazon kit is legitimate, that's where I bought two kits in 4 years.

I don't believe KYB comes in a full assembly with springs included. Most people reuse their old springs, bump stop and rubber inserts. Atleast that's what I did. If you want a complete assembly try Mando which is the OEM brand. They may offer a complete assembly.
Agreed, many cars I can't find "loaded kits" meaning new strut, spring, tophats, etc. already assembled.
I have used/recommended the KYB Excel/GR-2 for a number of cars. They last, inexpensive and a small upgrade over OEM.

·
Super Moderator
4,695 Posts
Hi, welcome! I would look out for a good used deal on a set of wheels compatible with the Tiburon. 16" is fine, but visually maybe a bit small in most opinions. 18" is also fine, but you do risk it looking a bit weird if the car is not lowered. Also cost of tires tends to go up on sizes 18" and above (though that might've changed in the last few years). It sounds to me like 17's will be best in your case. For reference our stock 17" wheels are 17x7 with an offset of +46. So if you find wheels that are reasonably around that size then they should fit, such as 17x7.5, or 17x8, with offset ranging from about +30 to +45. Also our bolt pattern is 5x114.3. The centre bore is 67.1mm - so as long as the wheel is equal or greater than CB67.1 then they will fit. Only caveat with this is I'd recommend hub adapters if the wheels are greater than 67.1. Stock tire size is 215/45R17 which I would recommend keeping, unless you find a great deal on 225s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts