Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
couldnt take the Kia Soul anymore. wife agreed it was time to trade it in. found a 2016 Veloster at a nearby Hyundai dealer. has 25k miles on it as it was originally a lease from this dealer. the place didnt clean the engine compartment and it looks worse than a freakin chicken coop in there. want to clean it up but a little concerned on how to go about that without screwing anything up but getting the best results. the damned thing is slow, unbelievably slow, so slow it cant get out of its own way slow! if i had hit the deer with this instead of the Kia, i think the car would have just stopped and the deer would have looked at me and ran off! we dont care, love the thing. wife happy cause it sorta resembles the Kia from the front plus she has the touch screen to keep her amused and i like how it feels like the Tib when you are inside it. found an OEM set of mud guards for 25 bucks so i ordered em as dealer wanted over 60 bucks. dealer owes me a spare tire kit yet as part of the deal (it had the tire in stock, but not the tool kit). yes i have it in writing.

·
Administrator
8,820 Posts
Hi......
If just dirt under the hood, then Simple Green sprayed the on, let sit 5 minutes or so, hose off.
If greasy/oily, on a warm engine, I use Gunk Foamy engine brite. Follow directions and hose off.

Either one may take 2 times to get clean.

When spraying water, don't spray real hard at alternator, spark plugs, electrical connections.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks charlie. engine doesnt look greasy, just dirty and corrosion. some electrical connections have a red sealer sprayed on them that looks terrible. probably done by the dealer at one time as it was its own vehicle. like to get the compartment shined up and looking as human as i can.

·
Administrator
8,820 Posts
Sooo.....dust and dirt.....as stated......Simple Green, let sit, hose off.

I will say Gunk Foamy Engine Brite may take off clear coating from aluminum bits. Thus, you get some white flaky crap on aluminum over time.

Doing a spray OUTSIDE a connector looks good.....usually does nothing other than line some shops pocket.......
Same for battery connections........

But you already knew this.....:wink2:

Various cheap auto parts places sprays may clean off any outside spray....

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did as you suggested and while everything was wet it looked pretty damned clean but.......as usual it started to rain so i had to stop for the day so i cant tell yet how it looks after drying off. if its cleaned up i will shine the plastic and theres plenty of it. that red spray is god awful but ill leave it alone. its even sprayed on the strut towers where the grounds are attached. really cavey looking job. waiting for my set of el cheapo OEM mud flaps to arrive as i just have to do something to the thing! lovin the gas mileage this thing is getting so who the hell cares about how slow it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts