Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Just recently became the new owner of a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon V6 GK and hoping to get some help with the car.

Nothing's wrong with the engine (at the moment 馃槀) but the body/controls have some issues.

1. Doors don't unlock together!
I have to unlock each door manually as unlocking with the key only unlocks each door individually. Has anyone else had this issue? What can I do to fix it???

2. Passenger window button is reversed.
Passenger window button, is reversed. Push down and the window goes up. Pull button up and window goes down..... Any ideas?

3. Sunroof doesn't always work.
Sunroof occasionally gets stuck and won't open. Applying a small amount of pushing pressure on the back part will allow it to open. Not sure if this is the motor or if it's physically getting stuck on the tracks or seals?

4. This is general stuff.
What's the recommended air pressure for the wheels? Recommended fluids? As for fuel I'll always be using 98, is this okay?

5. Aftermarket support?
I'm located in Australia, does anyone have any recommendations for good places to get aftermarket parts, eg. Exhausts, clutch, headlights/taillights, etc.

Any support/help/recommendations are welcomed. Thank you in advanced!!!

~ Declan

Premium Member
1) I do not understand what this question means. If you put the key in the lock, it unlocks that lock. If you push the "unlock" button on the key, it unlocks both doors.

2) It sounds like someone swapped the wires somewhere. That is easily fixable, but you probably have to take the plastic interior piece off of the door to get to things.

3) This is why I took an 8 hour bus ride to get a car without a sunroof.

4) Air pressure is marked on the tires. Recommended fluids are all in the owners manual. 98 octane is fine (recommended, actually, unless you do some serious modifications to the engine). 2004 Hyundai Tiburon - Owner's Manual - PDF (224 Pages)

5) I wish you luck.

Welcome! Oh, also, check out the Tuscanination group on Facebook. TuscaniNation

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
@bblackmoor I appreciate all the help! But as for number 1. I don't have a button to unlock the car. The previous owner got a viper security/central locking system installed but it's only wired up to the drivers side door.....

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
@bblackmoor as for 2. I'd both buttons that are reversed. The button on the passenger door as well as the button on the drivers side door. Would that be the wires in both the doors have been reversed or somewhere else?

Registered
1. can you turn the lock twice to the lock side or unlock side to lock or unlock? for my cars it's usually 2-step lock and unlock. first turn to unlock only your door, second turn within a second to unlock both. you may need door actuators?
2. reverse the control wires on the window switch unless the switch on both passenger and driver side is reversed, in that case, reverse the wires to the window motor.
3. clean the tracks and seals really thoroughly. then apply honda shin-etsu grease to the seals. let it absorb overnight, then wipe it all off.
4. 35psi is fine for the tires. 98 octane is fine. car is generally tuned to be ok with as low as 87 US spec(idk what spec that translates to in austrailia)
5. aftermarket support is all online shops. it was a lot cheaper to get support when the car was still new, but these days it's an adventure, trying to track down old discontinued bits and pieces. there's a few more standard things people still make like coilovers, intakes, catbacks, short throw shifters, some bushings, and strut bars, but there's a lot less off-the-shelf when it goes into performance stuff like headers, forced induction, tuning, etc. there's going to be a lot more custom work to get to a high end build than used to be necessary

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
1. can you turn the lock twice to the lock side or unlock side to lock or unlock? for my cars it's usually 2-step lock and unlock. first turn to unlock only your door, second turn within a second to unlock both. you may need door actuators?
2. reverse the control wires on the window switch unless the switch on both passenger and driver side is reversed, in that case, reverse the wires to the window motor.
3. clean the tracks and seals really thoroughly. then apply honda shin-etsu grease to the seals. let it absorb overnight, then wipe it all off.
4. 35psi is fine for the tires. 98 octane is fine. car is generally tuned to be ok with as low as 87 US spec(idk what spec that translates to in austrailia)
5. aftermarket support is all online shops. it was a lot cheaper to get support when the car was still new, but these days it's an adventure, trying to track down old discontinued bits and pieces. there's a few more standard things people still make like coilovers, intakes, catbacks, short throw shifters, some bushings, and strut bars, but there's a lot less off-the-shelf when it goes into performance stuff like headers, forced induction, tuning, etc. there's going to be a lot more custom work to get to a high end build than used to be necessary
Thanks for your help, just been trying what you've been suggesting.
1. Tried doing the 2 step unlock/lock method and didn't work at all. Seems like the 2 door locks are just completely separated.
2. Both the drivers side button for the passenger window and the passenger side button are reversed, So I'm assuming that means its reversed at the window motor not at the button end.
3. Cleaned the tracks and seals and working good now and will grab some 'honda shin-etsu grease' when i'm out next :)
4. Thank you for this :)

Declan

Administrator
In no particular order......

Windows, maybe someone had slow/dead windows....they pulled the motors, disassembled, cleaned, lubed and reassembled. Some window motors can get the armature housing put on 2 ways 180* apart. If assembled incorrect operation is reversed. Hard to swap wires.....

Sunroof.....once a year I ArmourAll/silicone coat the glass rubber gasket, wax the "pocket" the glass fits into, lube (I use FluidFilm) the tracks.

Tire pressures....door sticker/owners manual are for original tires. Better tires later may be underinflated at that pressure.
I use 80-85% of max inflation as labeled on the tire. My wife's car is about 3PSI more in the front than rear, my car I use a 6PSI split front to rear. This helps handling in tighter corners but can make the car twitchy when heavy braking into a corner or jumping off the gas when cornering...

Reactions: Declantiburon
1 - 12 of 12 Posts