Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
NT's master gardener
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after 42,000 miles, my tires are about ready for a change now. These are my choices, i dont care about whats not on my list, if its not here, dont tell me about it. I want to know from THESE THREE TIRES which you think is best. i just want good gripping, lower road noise, and a good look.

i'm getting 215/45R17's

choices are:

1) Kumho (but she didn't say which ones) but they're $105.49 a tire

2)Toyo Proxes, which are apparantly a private label or something? and are $94.66 a tire

3) Michelin Riken Rathers. never heard of it, but they recommended em? $98.92 a tire...

·
Registered
914 Posts
those 'on the car' prices?
i just picked up kumho ASX 245 x17 for 92.00 from discount tire. but then its another $100 for a tire place to install...
after like 2k... the Kumho seem like a good tire no heavy rain or snow driving yet, but after all my reseach last month, thats what i went with.
Toyo are a good tire.
Michelin are good, but there is no such thing as RIken Rathers. there is the Riken Raptor.(not all season btw)
RIKEN i think is it's own tire company...a sub division of Michelin) dont know much about it. if it is just some crappy co they aquired that still makes crap, or if it is the same MIchelin factory just stamping a different name on Pilot tire.... if the latter, cool. if not Toyo or Kumho.

·
NT's master gardener
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we have the price quotes for the final deal and all so thats no worry. everything is still under 500 for the most part cept kumhos...

526 for kumho
483 for toyo
496 for the michelin/riken thing

·
Registered
914 Posts
not for nothing, but after all my shopping, i would have assumed the Kumho to be the opposite side of the scale. I saved over 150.00 buying the Kumho over the toyo. unless they are not compairing correctly
apples to oranges.
ie all season toyo vs sport kumho or something.
do you know what you want/need or are getting quoted? there are like Proxes T1/ Proxes SP/ Proxes 4.

in case you didnt know yet, tires are a huge pain in the ***.
just know what you want, and go from there.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
You have them listed in the order I would put them:
1. Kumho
2. Toyo Proxes
3. Michelin Riken Rathers (?) never heard of it either

I just put a set of Kumho ASX on mine and I love them. Find out what Kumho's you are looking at. I liked the ASX better than the AST.

·
NT's master gardener
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well my parents are buying them (no comments please. deal with it.) and we have a mechanic shop that we've been going to probably since i was born, so they know us and all. i didn't get to go with my dad to the shop the other day when he went so i dont know what all the lady told him...and he tends to forget details sometimes. they do know i want the same size that was there before and obviously a good price. we dont want to spend a fortune or anything, and the free rotation and balence for life is nice too considering my tires now got rotated all of one time. (kept saying hey guys need to get this done and they just wer elike whatever and ignored me). even though i know a lot of shops do that. but anyway. i dont think they'll give me something thats crappy or that i dont want just because of my family's long life with them, but i'll sure as heck be askin questions before the final order is placed...

·
Registered
914 Posts
like i said i did discount tire but they dont do toyo
1010 does, but the $ is high so dont go off that.
use this link though...
http://www.1010tire.com/tiresearch.asp
use the drop down to pick Toyo or Kumho.
then pick all season or summer above that. depending what you want (all season more then likely)
You will see the many flavors of Kumo and Proxes.....the site gives you nice ratings and reviews.
i'd print it and ask the shop 'which' tires they are quoting you.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts

·
Retired Staff
4,860 Posts
I've got a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX on my car and I love them except for the grip. They have a really high treadwear rating so I expected that.

·
Banned
173 Posts
i would go toyo

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
mdoggytib said:
^yea as i hit 'post' i realized what i did and edited it. I meant toyo.
Oh, Toyo. Yeah, they don't carry them unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Khumo ASX, or Khumo AST both are very good and all-season driving.
Toyo Proxes I have never had luck with,,,they always seemed to be bubbling out or getting nails in them.
Besides Discount tire IMO have better customer service (they sell Khumos) than the Kauffman Tire (which sells Toyo)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Edgeracing.com

Hankook Ventus K104's - Best tire I have ever used and there only $82 a tire. Shipped to my house in 3 days but then again Im only 4 hours away from there place.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Orlean said:
Edgeracing.com

Hankook Ventus K104's - Best tire I have ever used and there only $82 a tire. Shipped to my house in 3 days but then again Im only 4 hours away from there place.
4 hours away should only take a day to ship if some sort of UPS or FedEx ground shipping.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
06orangecrush said:
42,000 miles and you finally need tires? hahaha i'm at just over 15,000 on the car and going on my 3rd set already
15K and you are on your THIRD set!?!? YIKES! And I thought I was doing bad putting my second set on at 28K.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Don't get the Toyo Proxes 4's if you like turning. I had a set for a few weeks and hated them so much. Their sidewalls are super flexible. Even changing lanes felt like I was dricing a Cadilac.

I don't know about the other two tires you listed though so I won't comment on them.

Oh, and don't use tirerack.com. They have good prices but terrible customer service if anything goes wrong. I hate that site. I use edgeracing.com and they are awesome.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts