Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone,

Recently, this forum stumbled upon my Google searches, and I am baffled that it never found its way to me earlier. Let me give you a rundown on my experience with the Tiburon:

So far, I've owned three Tiburons. My first one was a 2008 in black, 2.0L, which was totaled from skidding on ice on New Year's Eve. I literally was the first magisterial case to fight a traffic citation (crossing the median) in Pennsylvania that year. I lost because it's a dumb DOT technicality.

My second Tiburon was recently totaled because a big whitetail buck was casually crossing the highway so I swerved, thinking I could maneuver it. Fortunately, I did miss it; unfortunately, my car crashed into an embankment and the entire undercarriage was furthermore destroyed. That Tib was a 2007, 2.7L, in red, and she was a beaut. I'll truly miss that car.

Here is a video of the second Tib's crash for your viewing pleasure (Dashcam: Vantrue N2 Pro):
Now, I just bought my third Tib today (11/21/2020). 2008, silver, 2.7L, manual, sunroof, cruise control—all the goodies! This is my first manual car (all the other Tibs were automatics). So far, it's been amazing! I've loved every second of control that this car has to offer. I truly hope that I can make her last as long as possible because I absolutely love Tiburons. It would be amazing to just keep one forever, in my opinion, and make a project car out of it.

What I have consistently noticed from my years owning a Tiburon, however, are a few negatives:

1. Headlights get really gross and foggy. I use Meguiar's Headlight Restoration to remedy this situation, but I believe the plastic needs to be, overall, retrofitted with better plastic material.
2. The clear coat loves to peel, especially on the spoilers. On my red and black Tibs, this was super apparent, and I noticed it on other Tibs I came across as well. The clear coat is terrible across the entire vehicle as well. After awhile, you could notice peeling occurring on the mirrors, the hood, the back bumper, etc. If any of you have suggestions on whether a full-body paint job or a wrap is ideal for this situation, please share your input.
3. Lastly, the hatchback can have issues opening at times. Again, with my black and red Tibs, the hatchback would either open partially or not open at all when pulling the release. This was so annoying, considering I had to open the hatchback with my key just to force it open. I am not inclined to know why this was happening exactly, but I'm assuming that the latch was not pulling correctly as it responded to the release.

Other than that, if any of you have some good forum suggestions that make for a good read, do share! I definitely aim to improve my current Tiburon at every opportunity. Considering that I almost wrecked into a deer recently, I think my first project is going to include upgrading the lights to something more superior. Suggestions would be great! I sincerely hope to see this as a great community to share my thoughts and ambitions with my Tib, and I am eager to see the stories you all have to share as well.

Cheers!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Welcome! Good job missing that deer, sucks it totaled the car.
1) For headlights, the solution that lasted the longest for me was just buying new ones on ebay. Everything else ends up fading unless you properly re-clear coat the headlights.
2) Yep, the clear coat sucks on these cars, it's super soft and there's not a lot you can do about it. I just buffed my entire car a few months ago & it was ridiculous how much better the clear looked afterwords. If you look by your trunk hinges from above you'll probably find a nice large rusty surface, There's not much you can do other than keep the car waxed for a little extra protection.
3) I've found that in all 3 tibs I've owned, this was caused by the weather stripping sticking to the lid and holding it down. I gave the entire truck strip a coating of silicone past & haven't had it fail to open once since.

When it comes to lights, I prefer HIDs because you can make a pretty neat package by mounting the ballast to the bottom of the headlight and keep the lights water/dust resistant. the LEDs I've tried were too big and required removal of the dust cap or a hole to be made for the fan to stick through (which negates the purpose of the cap). whatever you do, just make sure you have them aimed right.; you don't want to end up being one of the dickheads on the roads blinding everyone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts