Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a free 03 tiburon v6 with 139km on it, it had no brakes and sat for about two years..... Rear lines, e-brake cables, calipers all around rear caliper flex hoses, rotors all around and pads all around have been replaced, and have done the serp belt(filters done too blah blah blah).. have done two oil changes on it one at 135km and one at 139km running 5w30 synthetic. Since i do all the work to my vehicles myself,Is there anything i should be aware of getting the tiburon? coming from my past 3 vehicles being a mk3 golf, mk4 beetle, and mk5 jetta(currently stored) the tibby is currently running on the road and driving amazing since the recent oil changes, it hasnt gotten any love from its previous owners so i gave it some TLC. I have a evap leak and also its 4spd auto...any suggestions would be great, probably gunna get some hate asking these things but thought id throw it out there, currently using this as a daily.

·
Administrator
8,816 Posts
Welcome...
We assume you mean 139,000KM on it?
If you have an owners manual, look up service intervals. Both the I4 and V6 are interference engines with a rubber timing belt. It has both a miles/KM as well as age limit. When you hit either one, replace the belt before it breaks.
Beyond that, normal maintenance....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome...
If you have an owners manual, look up service intervals. Both the I4 and V6 are interference engines with a rubber timing belt. It has both a miles/KM as well as age limit. When you hit either one, replace the belt before it breaks.
Yes, its 139,000km...is the timing belt replacement tedious? Ive only seen one on YouTube with the full block on a hoist for demonstration not in vehicle. From what ive searched online, apparently it’s accessible from the passenger side wheel after removal. The belt is covered by a plastic cover, do i need to remove any engine ear mounts or tranny mounts for this to be done?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome...
Also the exhaust was snapped at the larger flex (not the stubby flex before hitting the down-pipe/headers) and I’ve cut the resonator out, straight piped it and replaced the second larger flex welded it back together in stream with cat and it has its stock sound back, it was loud and raspy af before and just a drone...would like the car to be a bit more throaty, but dont know if taking the mufflers off would be great seems a bit over the top

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, its 139,000km...is the timing belt replacement tedious? Ive only seen one on YouTube with the full block on a hoist for demonstration not in vehicle. From what ive searched online, apparently it’s accessible from the passenger side wheel after removal. The belt is covered by a plastic cover, do i need to remove any engine ear mounts or tranny mounts for this to be done?
Replacing the timing belt isn't too bad, you just need to triple check that your timing marks before pulling the pin on the tensionor then check it after too. A v6 interference engine with dohc doesn't give you much forgiveness if timing is off. There is a really good write up on it in the DIY section.
Yes you will need to remove one motor mount and also a support bracket while doing it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also the exhaust was snapped at the larger flex (not the stubby flex before hitting the down-pipe/headers) and I’ve cut the resonator out, straight piped it and replaced the second larger flex welded it back together in stream with cat and it has its stock sound back, it was loud and raspy af before and just a drone...would like the car to be a bit more throaty, but dont know if taking the mufflers off would be great seems a bit over the top
This was exactly how my tib came, and I ended up completely mocking up some straight pipe from the flex pipe back and it's nothing crazy at low rpm but it can be pretty mean when you want it to. I honestly prefer it over most exhausts I've heard on these. I say go for it.

And yeah as far as the timing belt goes, look for the DIY Kisame mentioned it helps a ton and even comes with useful photos for once. My first time changing it took about 4-5 ish hours but now I can do it in half that if I got all my tools handy already.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was exactly how my tib came, and I ended up completely mocking up some straight pipe from the flex pipe back and it's nothing crazy at low rpm but it can be pretty mean when you want it to. I honestly prefer it over most exhausts I've heard on these. I say go for it.

And yeah as far as the timing belt goes, look for the DIY Kisame mentioned it helps a ton and even comes with useful photos for once. My first time changing it took about 4-5 ish hours but now I can do it in half that if I got all my tools handy already.
Thats not bad at all! Definitely going to dive into this, once the timing is done, i feel like the tibby will run for a long time with regular maintenance, its not giving me any issues and i have my fingers crossed that it doesnt just crap out all of a sudden as it seems to be running oddly well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thats not bad at all! Definitely going to dive into this, once the timing is done, i feel like the tibby will run for a long time with regular maintenance, its not giving me any issues and i have my fingers crossed that it doesnt just crap out all of a sudden as it seems to be running oddly well.
Good decision! My first tib I had was pretty old and beat with ~160K miles and I did everything but the timing belt and the week before I was gonna give it a shot the thing gave up on me. Only lasted a few months. I learned then it was no joke and it was the first thing I did with my new one lol. Biggest tip I got for you on that job is to make sure you line your timing marks up right and take care of the water pump while you're there.

Only other issues mine have given me are suspension related which, living in a salty state, is to be expected. And I guess I have seen a good deal of MAF related issues which if you clean it every now and then and check connections well enough aren't really a problem. But glad everything is smooth sailing thus far!

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
these cars are rust magnets! the doors (bottom edges), front fenders (where the sunroof drain piping leads out), sun roof also has leakage issues if it was abused (most people dont have any issues with them). The brakes and suspension will build up with rust if not cleaned off/ prepped. Another place(s) in the rear are the back quater panels/ wheel wells, debris builds up from inside the wheel wells, and builds up inside the wheel well lining and edges around the wheel well edge, and the rear drain pipping behind the tires are notorious for becoming a swimming pool. good luck with the car, its a fun one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
these cars are rust magnets! the doors (bottom edges), front fenders (where the sunroof drain piping leads out), sun roof also has leakage issues if it was abused (most people dont have any issues with them). The brakes and suspension will build up with rust if not cleaned off/ prepped. Another place(s) in the rear are the back quater panels/ wheel wells, debris builds up from inside the wheel wells, and builds up inside the wheel well lining and edges around the wheel well edge, and the rear drain pipping behind the tires are notorious for becoming a swimming pool. good luck with the car, its a fun one.
Lmaoo! I just picked up some body work prep for the quarter panels above the wheel(from the well lining), and the back of the rocker/beginning of the quarter panel on both sides & the bottom of the passenger door has surface rust. Its not a bad job to be done honestly and going to tackle it this week. Im just happy its not a Mazda3 or protege.... they seem to be built with rust as a reinforcement (no hate on em just going off what i know loool a friend of mine has had 2 now, both older and newer gens same issues)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts