Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:3_smile:

Hello, my name is Chris. I have always like the Tiburon, and when I drove the wifes Elantra...I really noted that Hyundai as a car has come a long way. Impressive cars to be sure.

Previous cars:

198X Suzuki Samurai....err.....stock?
1996 Pontiac Sunfire mods? lol
1988 Toyota MR2 ricer mods...lol
1999 Ford Ranger 3.0 slammed with nitrous and a LOT of bolt ons
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier slammed with cams and a LOT of bolt ons
2000 Civic Si with AEM SRI, and DC Sports header......sitting right now with a Jackson Racing Supercharger that will not be installed.

Except for the Si, I always love the underdog cars.

In the driveway.

2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT SE? I guess its called? Has the V6 and 6 speed manual. Car has like every option that I can see from googling it. And what is that yellow color called? I mean its bright!

Car is mint.......I mean mint. Leather seats..ohh my lord. Clean....only mods are a AEM CAI and Tuscan emblems.

The experience is alot like a 2006 or so (I work for Honda) Accord Coupe V6 with the 6 speed.

Except alot less power. The build quality is excellent. Impressive. The sound of the AEM is awesome.

Coupla questions. I have been doing this for a long time and worked on many cars so I am not a newb to the scene. But still.

1. What is my yellow called?
2. Is it normal for the car to squat so low on hard accel?
3. I read the 2.7 has variable timing somewhere?
4. The 6 speeds, any problems with them? The 05 models?
5. Is this engine an interference engine? Belt or chain?

What does this mean?

"Get ready to replace the clutch, unless you do the slave cylinder mod"

Quoted from DeathMetalDan

Thanks for all the help, and I hope to be a valued member who can contribute my years of
experience to the scene.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
welcome to the boards.

the Slave Cylinder mod is a DIY mod you can do and can find instructions in the DIY section of the forum and given your knowledge should be easy to do. Its believed it will make your clutch last longer and will make it firmer and engage/disengage better. Out clutches are not that great and most people making any kind of power end up replacing them.

I know my car does "squat" a very small but noticeble amount when accel

I dont know of any problems with the 6speed. they are alot of fun to drive. I almost ended up buying the exact same car you have, i like some of the features of SE models but the colors are to bright. The only complaint on the 6 speeds is that first gear is to short if you decide to supercharger or turbo (If you plan to do that check NGM, nextgenmotorsports)

Ill let some1 else take the more technical questions

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
05Tib said:
welcome to the boards.

the Slave Cylinder mod is a DIY mod you can do and can find instructions in the DIY section of the forum and given your knowledge should be easy to do. Its believed it will make your clutch last longer and will make it firmer and engage/disengage better. Out clutches are not that great and most people making any kind of power end up replacing them.

I know my car does "squat" a very small but noticeble amount when accel

I dont know of any problems with the 6speed. they are alot of fun to drive. I almost ended up buying the exact same car you have, i like some of the features of SE models but the colors are to bright. The only complaint on the 6 speeds is that first gear is to short if you decide to supercharger or turbo (If you plan to do that check NGM, nextgenmotorsports)

Ill let some1 else take the more technical questions

Thanks and nice to meet you. You are right, first gear is WAY too short. I am coming from a car that also has short gears. 1 and 2 are gone in no time, but it revs to 8200. Doing 70 you are at 4k rpms. It sucks. Plus this takes regular gas so it will save at the pump too.

Thanks I will look into that mod. The car only has 8k miles on it and doesnt seem to slip. I dont have big goals though, a set of pipes and a pulley maybe. Nothing serious.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Welcome to newtib . Compared to the cars/trucks in your list your gonna find the Tib build quality much better even my first gen 99 Tib SE was . I think you'll find the Tib a lot torquier than the Honda thanks to the 4.55 final drive gear . That colour is called 'Tuscani Yellow' in Canada not sure what they call it in the US .

The 2.7 is belt cam drive , interference , no variable valve timing .

Don't worry about the clutch unless you go f/i .

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
yeah i got an 05 and the clutch is going strong at 31k miles of Atlanta traffic driving

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not familiar with belt cam drive. Does this mean it is uses a belt? I thought I say pics with the valve covers off and saw a chain.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
239 Posts
bonylad said:
I am not familiar with belt cam drive. Does this mean it is uses a belt? I thought I say pics with the valve covers off and saw a chain.

Thanks all!
That isn't the drive chain , it joins the rear of the cams and keeps them synchronized . The cams are driven from the front of the engine by a reinforced rubber belt which must be changed every 60k miles . The new 3.3 v6 uses chain cam drive .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts