Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, clearly since this is post 1 on this forum I am new, I've been shopping around for cars the past few months (license next month) and my eye keeps swooping back onto the Tiburon. That's what brought me here to check out the forum etc, but also advice on this specific car post of a 03' Tibbby

Anyways, I found a 03' Tiburon GTv6 $7000

"
Black Pearl color
56,000 miles
Automatic w/ "Shiftronic"
Anti-lock Brakes
Leather
Cruise Control
A/C
Power Windows
Keyless Entry/Alarm
Infinity AM/FM/Cassette/CD w/ 6 speakers + woofer

ORIGINAL OWNER - NO ACCIDENTS
MECHANICALLY/ELECTRICALLY SOUND - NOTHING NEEDS TO BE FIXED
"
I'm interested in the AD but the location is an hour away, my parents keep discouraging me from getting a Hyundai because of the reputation (quality, durability, reliability), they are the Honda, Toyota type etc.

So! My point is, I've finally convinced them to give me a chance to go look at the car, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advice such as if the price is a bit off? Or perhaps hat should I check for when looking at the car?

I also wanted to know since this is the Tiburon forum... there will be plenty of GOOD reasons why I should go after a Tibby right?! Over internet research I've seen a lot of complaints about the poor quality of Hyundai etc. So I'd love to know why everyone is here and in love with their Tiburon!

I really do appreciate all your help and hopefully will be a member that ownins a Tibby.
(= Thanks.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Hyundai's are solid cars now a day. I love my tib for the looks, handling and good reliability. My only advice to you would be get a manual, preferably a 5 speed!! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hyundai's are solid cars now a day. I love my tib for the looks, handling and good reliability. My only advice to you would be get a manual, preferably a 5 speed!! :)
Oh! I forgot to mention, Yea the reason I was going to just auto it was because I live in a city where there is a ton of traffic and hllls etc. I figured I would save the stick for the future.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Im gona have to agree. The tibby is a good car espically stock. If you aren't looking for speed as much its great..the front weel drive does well in bad weather, it looks great IMO, and a comfortable drive. My only advice would be to get a stick shift. I personally prefer the 6speed. Although others will argue the 5speed is srtonger. Also are you looking to mod this car. Is it a v6 or 4 ? Personally if I had the option I would have went with the 4banger and boosted the cr*p out of it lol.
All in all not the crappy cars that ppl usually think. Look at the companys stats this year. The genisis won best something lol.
Good luck with w.e u decide and hope this helped !

·
Registered
792 Posts
iv got an 03 gt auto and i paid $7800 with 51k miles and a new system so ur price doesnt sound off

·
Hater With No Friends
11,098 Posts
My advice? Seek a different car, but stay on this forum.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also have an 03 6 speed tib. The only thing i could tell u is i have had no problems until 2 weeks ago.The shift rod jammed in the transmission and it was stuck in 3rd gear.I drove the car in 3rd gear to have it checked out. after 2 weeks in the shop and 3400 dollars later it is running better than ever. What happened was 3rd gear exploded inside the transmission,because the flywheel was so worn out. So i would suggest checking out the clutch and flywheel before buying.Personally i would choose 05 and up because they have better transmissions. I now have a 07 transmission and spec stage 2 clutch and flywheel.So far i like it.

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
Since I have the same car, things I would inquire about....

-has the timing belt and tensioner been changed at the recommended 60k mark?
-was the atx serviced at the 30k and 60k marks?

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I bought my 03 gt auto with 83k miles for $7500. thats not a bad price. The GK tiburons are pretty damn reliable. Yeah its true they probably wont last into 250k miles like a honda or toyota might but i doubt your really planning on keeping your car for that long. It will last you fine at least to the 100k marker, with maybe a few things that need to be replaced here and there but thats with pretty much all car. If your looking for a car thats fun, safe, and pick up chicks easily in, the tibby is for you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your advice! I really appreciate (= So far everything seems in check for the Tiburon, I just hope everything goes right when I meet the person! Unfortunately he voided the warranty because he missed a major oil change =\ I won't be having to worry about any clutch problems since this is an auto...

another inquiry, I noticed on all those different sites they have updates for car recalls and problems, The 2003 tiburon has like 23 things regarding seat belts, clutch, other things, do I need to check up on these things or are they really not important? They are the things that say you need to call the Hyundai to ask them to get checked because something might be flawed etc.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Common Problems for the 03

1.) Body Control Module like to go out around 75k 100k if it does happen. Somewhat rare but common. up $1k to fix.

2.) Window Motors like to give out easily in later miles too. Mild flaw in design around $300 to fix

3.) AC Likes to go out. often times its the compressor. anywhere from $100 to $900 to fix

4.) I think this is common in most cars but the MAF sensor is very sensitve. Any little dust can really rough up your ride. easy to fix tho. $10 for a can of MAF cleaner from any kind of auto store and should fix it right up.

Very fun and exciting rides. But suspension can be a bit rough. Hope this helps

·
Registered
99 Posts
TIBBY RUNS PERFECTLY1 Why do you think Hyundai's the only dearlship not going out of business, and offering cash for clunkers? GO for it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts