Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know absolutely nothing about audio...

I am trying to upgrade my car in the audio department...

I have a JVC headunit (KD-ADV6160 (cd,dvd, etc). I am looking for amp and two 12 subs...but I have no idea what to get or what is good? I want something that would make an improvement in sound but it doesn't ahve to be the best out there or "loudest" and looks nice. I am looking to spend around $500. Can anyone out there give me some advice?

Thanks (A lot)

Dan

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
deez337 said:
http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88613

^^^^^^^^^^^ For the subs

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88614

^^^^^^^^^^^ For the amps

Its not the best but for bang on a budget you really cant go wrong with these, especially at those prices. I mean you can have 4-12's with amps to push them for $200 + shipping. Or have 2 for $100. Its from the same guy so you will save on shipping.
Hi, thanks i'll look into that...can anyone else help me with a set up??

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
Danpgh25 said:
Hi, thanks i'll look into that...can anyone else help me with a set up??
Also if you want to spend a little more and get better quality try the new MTX gear. Get a couple of 5500 series 10's and a matching amp. That should put you in the 500 range brand new and sounds very good with hard bass.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
deez337 said:
Also if you want to spend a little more and get better quality try the new MTX gear. Get a couple of 5500 series 10's and a matching amp. That should put you in the 500 range brand new and sounds very good with hard bass.

Cool, any good places that has them? I never heard of them? Y 10's and not 12's? Any recommendations on an amp? Remember I know very little about it?

Thanks,
Dan

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
You should have a local authorized dealer in your area. I personally have the 8500 10's and they hit......hard. My brother in law has the 5500 10's. We both just bought the amp that goes with them according to the chart on MTX's website. And I just wanted to have some quick bass so I went with 10's but 12's are great as well, all personal preference.

http://www.mtx.com/index2.cfm

Just stay away from the red cheapy MTX speakers (road thunders) and go with the Thunder high performance or superwoofers. The 5500's are the best high performance MTX subs and you have 7500,8500, and 9500 in the superwoofers.
My brother in law has 2 5500 10's with a TA2301 Mono amp I believe
I have 2 8500 10's with a TA7801 Mono

here is the chart to match
http://www.mtx.com/Flash2/amps_subs8.html

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
deez337 said:
You should have a local authorized dealer in your area. I personally have the 8500 10's and they hit......hard. My brother in law has the 5500 10's. We both just bought the amp that goes with them according to the chart on MTX's website. And I just wanted to have some quick bass so I went with 10's but 12's are great as well, all personal preference.

http://www.mtx.com/index2.cfm

Just stay away from the red cheapy MTX speakers (road thunders) and go with the Thunder high performance or superwoofers. The 5500's are the best high performance MTX subs and you have 7500,8500, and 9500 in the superwoofers.
My brother in law has 2 5500 10's with a TA2301 Mono amp I believe
I have 2 8500 10's with a TA7801 Mono

here is the chart to match
http://www.mtx.com/Flash2/amps_subs8.html

Hi, Thanks a lot...this is what I love about this site...I research some so far and I can get that for about what my budget is for but do I need new speakers or will my stock ones be fine?

Thanks,
Dan

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
Your stock mids and highs will be fine for now (especially if you have factory Ininity)

If you want a clearer sound in the future you can always upgrade, but for now it would be fine.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
deez337 said:
Your stock mids and highs will be fine for now (especially if you have factory Ininity)

If you want a clearer sound in the future you can always upgrade, but for now it would be fine.

Hi, can you tell me what would the difference of a mono amp compared to a 2 channel amp?

Thanks,
Dan

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
Danpgh25 said:
Hi, can you tell me what would the difference of a mono amp compared to a 2 channel amp?

Thanks,
Dan
Well a Mono amp has only one channel. A Mono is usually better to run subs on because they are usually Class D amps, which have high power-to-heat ratio and are very efficient., which is what you need for low frequency subs that take a lot of power.

Also impedance (ohms) come into play..... to make it simple mono amps are made to run at 2 ohm and some even 1 ohm stable. Most multi channels are 4 ohm stable....Which means you can use a mono amplifier to power a 2-ohm load (two 4-ohm subwoofers, or 2, 2-ohm dual voice coil subs, for example) You'll be able to push your subs with the mono amp's maximum power, without running at a dangerous impedance.

And the less ohms the better :3_nosthum

Hope this helps

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, Thanks...

can you tell me what is it when they ask do you want a DUAL OR SINGLE VOICE COIL!

I foun the cheapest prices on ebay for what I am looking for...
Subs - 2 MTX THUNDER 5500 T5512-44 SUBWOOFERS 12"
Amp- MTX THUNDER TA5601

What you think?

Thanks,

Dan

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
Danpgh25 said:
Hi, Thanks...

can you tell me what is it when they ask do you want a DUAL OR SINGLE VOICE COIL!

I foun the cheapest prices on ebay for what I am looking for...
Subs - 2 MTX THUNDER 5500 T5512-44 SUBWOOFERS 12"
Amp- MTX THUNDER TA5601

What you think?

Thanks,

Dan
That will be a great setup in my opinion. With that amp I would get single voice coils for ease of wiring. I tried to explain the difference but it just looks all complicated so I found a site that said it a little clearer. Its from the Crutchfield site

Dual voice coil subwoofers are becoming a popular choice among car audio enthusiasts who want more flexibility in wiring their sound systems. While typical subwoofers have a single voice coil, dual voice coil (DVC) subwoofers use two separate voice coils, each with its own connections, mounted on one cylinder, connected to a common cone.

The key difference between single and dual voice coil subwoofers is the multiple wiring options DVC subs offer:
Parallel: A dual 4-ohm voice coil subwoofer with its coils wired in parallel presents a 2-ohm load to your amplifier. Since an amplifier produces more wattage at a lower impedance, the parallel connection ensures you'll get the most output from your amp. In the same fashion, if you have a stereo amplifier and two DVC subs, wire both subs for 2-ohm impedance (one per channel) for maximum output.

Series: Series wiring lets you configure multiple woofers to one amplifier at an acceptable impedance. Wire both coils in series for an 8-ohm impedance, and then wire two 8-ohm subs together in parallel for 4-ohm total impedance (perfect for most 2-channel amps bridged to mono operation). Another example: if you have a high-powered 2-channel amplifier, wire four 8-ohm subs per channel (each channel sees a 2-ohm load).

Independent: You can wire each voice coil to a separate channel of your amplifier, if you prefer not to bridge your amp. Independent wiring is a nice option if you're wiring two DVC subs to a 4-channel amplifier — one voice coil per channel.

DVCs and high-performance amplifiers
Some amplifiers are designed with an unregulated power supply — these amps are favored by mobile audio competitors for their superior performance. An unregulated amp's power increases dramatically when it sees a lower impedance load. For example, an amplifier that produces 75 watts RMS x 2 channels at 4 ohms would double its power to 150 watts x 2 with a 2-ohm load. DVC subwoofers (particularly the dual 2-ohm models) give you the flexibility to wring every bit of power out of this type of amplifier.

Also, if you choose to add an unregulated amp as a power upgrade to your existing DVC subwoofer system, you can simply rewire your subs for optimum impedance. Remember that most car amps are stable down to 2 ohms in normal operation, and to 4 ohms in bridged mode. It's important to check your amp's manual for its operating parameters before hooking up a DVC sub wired for low impedance!

A DVC sub offers the same performance whether it's wired in series or parallel. Its power handling levels, frequency response, and other specifications do not change — the only difference is the impedance presented to the amplifier. As a result, you'll use the enclosure that's recommended for your sub, no matter how it's wired.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, Thanks for the help....I did get that set up..and it's on it's way....I was wondering oh what are your thoughts bout kickers? My friend just bought them?

Thanks,
Dan

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
Danpgh25 said:
Hey, Thanks for the help....I did get that set up..and it's on it's way....I was wondering oh what are your thoughts bout kickers? My friend just bought them?

Thanks,
Dan
I like the older ones alot. The newer ones sound decent but I found their downfall is that they are not very durable. Make sure and let me know when you get yours in and what you think about them, I am sure you will be impressed.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Danpgh25 said:

Thanks,
Dan
Kickers are actually pretty good. There subs can get loud and amps are usually underrated in terms of power. Buy on ebay though, retail price at stores are pretty high.

But a tip for you, installation is more important than what you actually get. Make sure your enclosure is the right size and properly made. Amp also has to be setup correctly so you don't start clipping/distorting your signal. Installation regarding power/grounding, connection from HU to amp, are other very important factors.

Off the top of my head, in general though, JL, Alpine, Arc Audio, Infnity, Diamond Audio, Kicker, Directed, Memphis, Orion, Hifonics, Pheonix Gold, Soundstream are good brands to buy from.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts