Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished putting a 32gb Nexus 7 in my 03' Tib. I think it came out really nice. Definitely the best thing I've done to my car so far.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
You should remove the 2 or 3 screws holding the OBD port to the kick panel so you can put the BCM cover back on. :)

Reactions: AKovtunov

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should remove the 2 or 3 screws holding the OBD port to the kick panel so you can put the BCM cover back on. :)
Yeah, I was planning on doing that but was worried about it draining my battery and I only use it occasionally. But I'll probably eventually do that.

·
Registered
311 Posts
What are you using for internet on the tablet and what'd you use as far as a mounting bracket? I was thinking of doing something similar but instead of relocating the radio to the bottom, I'd recess it and have the tablet mount swing down or up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What are you using for internet on the tablet and what'd you use as far as a mounting bracket? I was thinking of doing something similar but instead of relocating the radio to the bottom, I'd recess it and have the tablet mount swing down or up.
I'm using WiFi hotspot from my galaxy nexus for internet. I don't have a mounting bracket. The tablet is a little too big so you have to cut into the clock housing a little bit and I also cut into my a/c housing. A thin groove cut top and bottom along the width of the center fascia and the tablet just snaps in. I also covered the edge of the tablet with painters tape to protect it from scratching. I think the radio on the bottom is the easiest/cleanest way, but give your idea a shot and let me know how it turns out!

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
This is relevant to my interests! Very clean looking.

Would it be possible to see some photos from behind to see your mounting technique?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is relevant to my interests! Very clean looking.

Would it be possible to see some photos from behind to see your mounting technique?
Sure, this is when I installed it into my black center fascia which was already cracked (kind of a practice run). I circled the areas that were cut.

This is the clock housing cut into and sanded:

And this is the A/C housing cut into and sanded:

Hope that helps... let me know if you have anymore questions as it was quite a learning experience and not the easiest install.

·
Registered
636 Posts
very nice looking install, this is a project im working on for my car, and was thinking of doing the same install method as you , but wasnt sure how it would turn out, glad to see it looks great.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
very nice looking install, this is a project im working on for my car, and was thinking of doing the same install method as you , but wasnt sure how it would turn out, glad to see it looks great.
Awesome, let me know if you need any help... there was a lot I had to overcome to finish with a successful install. I should be able to save you some frustration when you do it, lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm thinking of doing something like this in the future, but ive gotta figure out a way to easily remove the tablet cuz I don't want it sitting in the car all the time during our awesome wisconsin winters(ultra sarcasm) So how do you charge the tablet? And how did you mount the head unit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
+1 to Blackv6 question about removing. Could you please also tell me what do you solved the problem with charging? The slot is on bottom edge of device - is there enough place to plugin charger? Same question about jack slot?

btw does nexus have any hardware button to disappear screen saver? It is possible using power button as in always android but power button in this configuration is not available for user right? :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm thinking of doing something like this in the future, but ive gotta figure out a way to easily remove the tablet cuz I don't want it sitting in the car all the time during our awesome wisconsin winters(ultra sarcasm) So how do you charge the tablet? And how did you mount the head unit?
The tablet is charged by a car adapter plugged into the original cigarette lighter which I removed from its holder. The head unit isn't mounted in any way. I slowly cut away and sanded the center out until the head unit just barely fits in. Super snug this way (doesn't budge an inch) and no headache with drills or screws.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
+1 to Blackv6 question about removing. Could you please also tell me what do you solved the problem with charging? The slot is on bottom edge of device - is there enough place to plugin charger? Same question about jack slot?

btw does nexus have any hardware button to disappear screen saver? It is possible using power button as in always android but power button in this configuration is not available for user right? :)
Getting the charger to fit was the most challenging aspect of the install. You have to cut a good portion of the center plastic out and then use a right angle micro USB adapter. Amazon has one for a couple of bucks made by Motorola that works perfectly. I also used a right angle aux cable. Even with doing all this, you still have to work everything around so the center fascia snaps completely in.

I'm not sure what your asking, but I'll explain how I deal with powering on and off. I use a app called Tasker. This allows me to program the tablet to wake up when I turn my ignition and to stay on when the car is on. I also have it set to turn WiFi on so it can connect to my hotspot for Pandora. When I turn my car off, WiFi goes off and screen times out. I hope that answers your question.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts