Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a quick search & didn't find anything useful for my specific problem. Given, it's a bit of a special case.

I recently came in possession of a NGM throttle body that was damaged during shipping. It took a hit and had the shaft that holds the butterfly snap off where the o-ring sits on the spring side. I believe I might be able to repair it, but I'm looking for some extra info that might be helpful.

1) does anyone know what material it's made out of? I would assume it's standard steel, but I've seen weirder stuff made out of cast before.
2) this is a long shot, but is it possible I could just buy a new shaft instead of trying to weld it back together or fabricate a new one?

Also, do the needle bearings in the MP62 need a specific type of grease? I'd like to add some new grease while I have it apart but don't want to cause more harm than good. It looks like it has plenty of grease so I'm reluctant to **** with it.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Alloy wheel

Gas Auto part Household hardware Machine Metal

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Safety glove Automotive wheel system

Gas Circle Auto part Metal Composite material

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welp, have welder will weld. It welded no problem with my MIG welder, it was a bit difficult getting the shaft straight, but it seems alright. the bearing was demolished with the shift so I won't be able to give it a final assembly until a replacement arrives, the seal was luckily still in the housing, "1607RS" is the bearing used.

Seems to open an close no problem, but it might need some tweaking once the bearing takes up the slop.

Attachments

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update: Repair successful!

I got the new bearing in today, getting the throttle blade to fit in nicely was a bit of a challenge, but it's moving without a hitch now! I'm super happy I was able to save this BBTB, especially since they aren't made anymore.

Edit: Personal info in image masked.

Attachments

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome man great work. Where did you order the seals and bearings from again?
I got the bearing from eBay, I didn't want to waste money some high-quality bearing when I wasn't even sure if I could make it work again. The only seals are vacuum seals & they're just standard o-rings. I just matched up an o-ring from my stash & used that. I think there's a thread somewhere that has the actual dimensions of the o-rings if you're curious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts