Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does anyone use nitrogen instead of air? I was thinking of changed my tires air to nitrogen since you get more mpg on them not sure if thats true

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
No you won't get more mpg from them.

The only reason other types of gas are used is because they are less susceptible to expansion/contraction when heated/cooled. By using certain gases, you can maintain more accurate tire pressures, especially when racing.

Don't waste your money.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Malogus said:

The only reason other types of gas are used is because they are less susceptible to expansion/contraction when heated/cooled. By using certain gases, you can maintain more accurate tire pressures, especially when racing.

Don't waste your money.

Thanks!!!!!

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks! so many people around here want nitrogen air and we all have to cross the border ( detroit ) to fill up

·
Registered
320 Posts
Tide said:
thanks! so many people around here want nitrogen air and we all have to cross the border ( detroit ) to fill up
The company i work for does Nitrogen in the tires, i should go and try it out actually. I get it for free!!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Malogus said:

Don't waste your money.
in addition nitrogen is "dry," while compressed air carries alot of moisture into the tire......but like he ^^^ said, save you money......on that note i think costco does it for free....or maybe it was like $10.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It doesn't improve MPG, but more of life of tire, more mileage on them. It is do to the pressure being better controlled like mentioned above! Also, when you lose one, it makes a he!! of a bang! :3_nosthum

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
kartunez said:
It doesn't improve MPG, but more of life of tire, more mileage on them. It is do to the pressure being better controlled like mentioned above! Also, when you lose one, it makes a he!! of a bang! :3_nosthum
The only reason it would extend the life of the tire would be because the pressure wasn't changing. Just check your tire pressure every time (or every other time) you fill up with gas and you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It also doesn't heat up like air does, so not only will it keep the pressure the same, it will not keep the tires hotter than normal. Some of my trucker friends do this, and that is their reasoning behind it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Thats what your suppose to use on setups like that, right? I know when you put the super lift kit twin shock blah blah blah on 4x4, they use nitrogen to fill the resivors!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Malogus said:
The only reason it would extend the life of the tire would be because the pressure wasn't changing. Just check your tire pressure every time (or every other time) you fill up with gas and you will be fine.
and because of the above mentioned moisture....at least that is what the shop manual said when i worked at costco.....apparently the moisture carried in with normal compressed air causes the tire to wear from the inside......but nitrogen won't really help your performance...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts