Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2005 Tiburon Gt v6 5spd
My clutch has little to no friction/bite point from a complete stop. It reacts as if I'm trying to pop my clutch and burn out. most times it ends up stalling unless I come off the clutch extremely slow, then the car moves normally. Or I rev the rpm's really high to avoid stalling. Even doing that the car will still jerk as if I'm popping the clutch. High rpm's just allows the car less of a chance to stall. Once the car is moving it shifts through gears just fine.
Also if I hold the clutch is held down too long there is a strange noise that can be felt through the clutch pedal.
has anyone ever experienced anything like this before?
Hyundai's are a new product to me so I'm learning this vehicles as I go. Thanks in advance!

· Administrator
9,550 Posts
How many miles on it?
Did this just start happening or was it like this when you got it?
Sorta sounds like a TOB (throw out bearing) issue. These are a pull type TOB.
Does it engage low or high on the pedal?
Does it slip once engaged? My normal test is:
Mid RPM's, around 3K.
Second or third gear
Uphill even better
Floor the throttle, watch tach or listen. If it revs quickly but doesn't move much faster, the clutch is slipping.
The conditions I use gets up into the torque curve with enough load to make the clutch work hardest within a reasonable speed range.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles on it?
Did this just start happening or was it like this when you got it?
Sorta sounds like a TOB (throw out bearing) issue. These are a pull type TOB.
Does it engage low or high on the pedal?
Does it slip once engaged? My normal test is:
Mid RPM's, around 3K.
Second or third gear
Uphill even better
Floor the throttle, watch tach or listen. If it revs quickly but doesn't move much faster, the clutch is slipping.
The conditions I use gets up into the torque curve with enough load to make the clutch work hardest within a reasonable speed range.
Thanks for replying. I purchased the car this way. No slips, but the engage point does seem to adjust from time to time. I had to practically stand on the clutch to get it to start, but that only happened once.

· Administrator
9,550 Posts
You're welcome, thanks for the info.
I'm not the "pull clutch expert", I do push and motorcycle clutches.

Sounds like either air in the clutch hydraulics (cold can make air bubbles smaller, thus less clutch travel) or failing master/slave. Could also be an old clutch hose that swells with pressure. A dirty test is have someone operate the clutch while you feel the hose. It doesn't take much swelling on a marginal system.

PS, you can edit your post to correct things, or add info you forgot.
Just saying.

· Registered
577 Posts
Sorry also has 134,000 miles
are you still on dual mass flywheel? with that many miles, I would assume you've had clutch replaced at least once. usually clutch last 60-80k depending upon how you ride the clutch, city/highway miles.
The 'noise' part seems to be either from flywheel or throwout bearing failing/failed.
Master and slave cylinder are easier to replace as DIY. and re-bleed the system. If the problem still exists, you're on for a clutch job.
I've had my clutch replaced at 58k and still fine after 145k miles (with factory dual mass). For clutch parts, stick to Valeo brand as they are OE manufacturer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts