Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so guys, a little explanation of my setup.

HU: clarion something. will be replaced with carpc soon enough.

speakers: http://www.woofersetc.com/p1119/HD642--CDT-Audio-High-Definition-65"-3Way-Component-Speakers.htm

Amp: http://www.audiodiscounters.com/shopping/SONY-XM2002GTW-p-3777.html

so everything seems to be working fine except my rear speakers don't function. they have their own crossover that's passing the signal to the mids and highs up front and the mids and highs work fine.....

i'm going to check the wiring at the speakers tomorrow, but any of you guys got any ideas? i don't think i messed up the wiring anywhere, and i'm scared i damaged the crossover somewhere.....i tried checking the connection at the crossover itself going to the speakers and they're fine.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, this one's not paid for yet :(

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
i dont believe thats a full set for ur front rear and tweets. that looks to me like a setup for ur front only...

post pics of ur wiring and where to, did u plug in the RCA's for the rear speakers to the HU or did u only plug in the front RCA's?

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,436 Posts
You're running front components and rear speakers on a 2-channel amp?

What exact speakers did you install? Because that looks like a 3-way component set... you should have gotten 2-way components for the front and 6x9 co-ax's for the rear? And if you did something different with a 3-way components setup, how did you mount the 6" speakers in the 6x9 spot and the 4" in the front 6" spot? Where are the speakers installed in the car right now?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just to clarify things, yesterday or the day before was the first time i had run these speakers in a couple of years..... they ran last time i had them installed.....and this time it's not like the rears ran and then all of the sudden stopped, they never ran at all.....i guess i blew something as soon as the power kicked on.

yup, paul's right, the 6's are on a custom bracket to fit in the rear, and the 4's are in the doors and the tweets are in the stock tweets spot....

i took everything apart today and found out why i have no rear speaker sound.

i blew the leads off the voice coils. one side the positive voice coil lead came off (at the voice coil side, not the connection side) and the other the negative lead came off....

i soldered them back together and threw a dab of glue like they did at the factory, but i'm kinda flabbergasted as to how they could blow..... i still get ~3.5 ohms across the terminals, so the voice coil's not dead...

i haven't reinstalled them yet because im waiting for the sealant to cure and because i'm not sure how they got broken to begin with.....

maybe they're old (they're like 7 or 8 years old) and the solder was just weak?

maybe i have the amp set-up wrong and that connection was the weakest point?

maybe it was a voltage spike?

maybe i had the polarities reversed?

i dunno, my plan is to turn the gain on the amp all the way down and try again tomorrow, but hopefully someone has the answer i'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, the RCA's are plugged into the rear pre-outs.....

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,436 Posts
yup, paul's right, the 6's are on a custom bracket to fit in the rear, and the 4's are in the doors and the tweets are in the stock tweets spot....
OK, this is why I was like, huh? Because you probably know more than most of the people you're asking for help, if you had them installed like that :einstein: Didn't want to jump to conclusions!!

Good luck with trying them out, that is really weird... I mean you had 200 RMS max going into 230 RMS max speakers... ??? no reason they should fail... GL

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have an older model setup that only puts out 150w RMS.....it's a HD-642 but from a while ago.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as an update, i turned the gain on the amp all the way down and reinstalled everything and they seem to work fine.... i guess i dodged a bullet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
OR it could be the head unit.. u could just check to see if anythign is coming out of the head unit.... from those two connectiions.. hook up those outputs to the front to see if it works... it could be the unit..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts