Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

No sound from my amp

1K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  kartunez 
#1 ·
I was just trying to hook my subs up today, I had them going fine wired up like the diagram below before a few days ago, but while the subs were going the power wire came out of the gold connector and the amp shut down. After that I have not been able to get any sound out of the amp. After the first time the amp shut down I disconnected everything for a few days and tried it again today and still am not getting any sound. The amp is coming on fine the power light is constant and it comes on and off fine with the head unit. Any one have any insights? Did I mess up the amp? Or did the amp just go into protection mode? And if so how do I get it out.

The subs are 4ohm DVC 10" Alpine Type R's and a Kenwood Mono 9102d. Somebody please help me i've been wanting to get these subs hooked up for a long time and them sittin in my trunk with no bang is killing me.

See less See more
#3 ·
I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's the speakers you want making the sound anyway! :3_smile:

Check your fuses and all of your connections again. If the speakers still don't make any sound, you might have a bad amp. Also make sure your settings are right on your head unit. Actually, check that first. Make sure that your sub outputs are turned on.

#4 ·
I checked the fuses, teh RCA's are connected fine, the speaker wire is fine and the amp is powering on fine so its not that wire. The only wire i'm not sure about is the ground, but than again I had it grounded at another point and it worked fine there but after the power wire came loose it didn't work there either. And I dont' think the amp is bad because it did work before, so unless I somehow I fried the amp I have no clue what's going on.

#5 ·
You said the power came out of the amp, it is possible that it hit other wires which would be bad. You say the amp lights up and eveything looks fine with it. Try taking a 12 volt batter from a cordless drill and connecting the - to the - on the battery and just touch the + with the + wire for a second and see if your speakers burp (move or make sound), that is what you call it. If they do and they seem okay, it may be something else, possibly the amp. After all that testing, and it is all good, take the amp to a local Car Stereo shop and ask them to bench test it, and see if they get sound. If they do, then you have a problem with your power, ground, or RCA's. Try that stuff out and see what you come up with. L8R

#6 ·
Cool i'll try out all that stuff, I have a another set of wires running into the trunk for some neons, can I just use those to test the amp? When the power wire did come out it didn't hit anything, I was trying to shift the amp a little bit and it came out but I snatched up the wire b4 it hit anything. Damn I just bought this amp from best buy a few days ago, i'm tempted to just take it back to them and just exchanging it.

#7 ·
Well if it didn't hit anything, then I don't know what. If there was no spark, then I don't know what could have happened. You may just take it back to BestBuy, and tell them it just stopped working, leave out the details, but them them you had it installed professionally if they asked. L8R

#8 ·
Check your fuse box (under the dash) if you have to, pull out individually and check to see if they're busted.
Also are you having anything else in the car that's not working ? or working funny ?

#10 ·
won't be the fuses. if your deck turns on then the fuses are good, if your amp is lighting up you power suply and power line are fine. If you have a sound system inside that you can bring to your car ( turn the audio on, plug the RC into the back and turn to AUX ) if sound comes out the your RC are working. hook your speaker line to a D battery, + to + and - to - if it "punches" then that line is good. check all you wires, chances are something is not connected right and the amp is working.

#11 ·
So just take the speaker wire going to the subs and just take the ends going into the amp and put them on the battery terminals and see if the subs move at all. I'm gonna try all these thigns when I get home from school today, if anyone else has any suggestions keep them coming. Thanks alot for the suggestions so far guys.

#12 ·
Is It just me or does that drawing not DVC's? If the amp lights up then it's probably not going to be a fuse. If you can put a meter to your wires (If you don't have a meter you can use some fuses to test....). Disconnect the speakers from the amp. Hook up one and test it to each channel of the amp (L R B).

#13 ·
ya just connct the speaker lines to the subs and touch coresponding + - on the batery gives the subs a little power and makes them punch. i'm thinking its eather that line has a bad conection or that your rc's arn't putting out corectly. Does your deck have a specified RC out put for subs? could that be turned off?

#15 ·
ya, i figured. Probably just a bad conection. you might want to smell the inside of the coil (i know that sounds weird) but i have actualy had cases where the coils fused and something melted inside the sub, smelt like the old electric car tracks. I doubt thats it though lol anyways Good luck

#16 ·
Try pushing in one each sub and see if they move, or if you have a scratching sound when they do! I have had a coil go bad on a DVC sub and it wouldn't let it play, but disconnect he bad coil and it would. Just some other thoughts for you!

#18 ·
Did you figure this out yet?

#19 ·
Yeah I figured it out, and your not gonna believe what it is. Basically I got an old neon light I had lying around and put it on the speaker terminals and the light flashed perfectly with the bass, so the amp was fine. I used a set of computer speakers and a rca to headphoen connector to check to see if the RCA's were fine and they were. So at that point I started to get worried, I was like oh man did i really somehow blow both subs? Well I take the box in the house unscrew the subs from teh box and low and behold teh damn wire from the sub to the connector on the inside of teh box came loose, one connector came loose on BOTH SUBS!!! So after going back and forth and thinking the worst could have happened it was the most stupidest thing. I guess when I first had the subs going there was just too much airflow going downward and it knocked the bottom connector off on both subs. But I did check both subs out of the box and they both work perfect(thank god). So now i'm gonna slide the connectors back on and cover the damn terminals in an A$$ load of solder to make sure they dont' come loose. Thanks alot to everyone who did help me troubleshoot my idiotic issue. I guess the connectors on the inside of the box should have been the first thing I checked.

#22 ·
That is odd, I wouldn't think both would do it either. You may just trying to crush the connector down a little bit so it will hold. That is why I love spring connections so much more! :3_nosthum

#23 ·
Yeah I do too, the freaking outside of the box has spring connectors but for some reason they decided to put a post on the inside of where the connectors slide down on. You know what sucks is that this isn't even a cheap flea market special box it was a hundred and somthing dollar Q-logic ported box supposedly tuned to 38hertz. Anyways I'm just gonna slide the connectors on teh post them on and solder the hell out of it to make sure it sticks.

#24 ·
ohyaa69 said:
Yeah I do too, the freaking outside of the box has spring connectors but for some reason they decided to put a post on the inside of where the connectors slide down on. You know what sucks is that this isn't even a cheap flea market special box it was a hundred and somthing dollar Q-logic ported box supposedly tuned to 38hertz. Anyways I'm just gonna slide the connectors on teh post them on and solder the hell out of it to make sure it sticks.
That would be best, I thought you were talking about doing it to the speaker, but if it is from the outside connector to the speaker, that is what I do with all of mine that are prefab boxes. When I build them, I just drill holes to the size of the wire (currently 8 gauge for the JL's :3_chubby: ) and silicone the holes over to stop any leaking. :3_nosthum

#25 ·
Actually the outside connector has a spring connector on it, by outside I mean teh connector that would go from the amp to the box. The one that came out is the one that goes from teh speaker to the inside of teh box, which is just a freaking post that these little slide looking connector things slide onto. So I slid the connector onto the post and put a A$$ load of solder to fill in the recess in it and around everything, its gonna be pretty hard to move unless you actually pull on the connector

#26 ·
That is good, I just normally solder the wire straight to the connector on the inside of the box! It will give you the best connection possible and help with those shacking moments! L8R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.