Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, it's been awhile. Used to have a 2005 SE, now I have a 2003 GT and a 2007 GT.

Short story: the speedo doesn't work on the 2007. Tried everything I can think of, I don't have an aftermarket radio (though the previous owner did at one point). Tested everything related and it works.

Long story: Previous owner had an aftermarket radio but switched back to the stock head unit and wiring (as far as I can tell) before selling me the car. Speedo hasn't worked since I've had it, and he can't remember when it stopped or what he did to make it stop (so he's no help at all). As a result the odometer doesn't count mileage either. Car had an ABS light on when I got it for the right rear wheel speed sensor. Replaced the sensor and the non-abs hub that the previous owner installed (duh) and it removed the ABS light but still no speedo. I've also swapped in the tranny speed sensor from my 2003 with no change, and I've moved the cluster over to my 2003 and the speedo works there.

All other gauge lights, tach, trip computer etc work on the 2007, just not the speedo. When I hook up an OBD reader the vehicle speed and all 4 wheel speed sensors show values, but still nothing on the speedo.

Thoughts? I originally thought the radio wiring but I don't have the notorious blue wire and I don't have an aftermarket unit in the car at the moment. Also, turning the radio off or disconnecting it completely makes no difference.

Also, the previous owner switched from a 5-speed to a 6-speed tranny. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

Any help appreciated, I'm out of ideas. I've included a few pics of the radio and wiring. The splice in it is just connecting the orange wire back to itself, and the blue wire you see hanging out by itself is gone now. It was running with some RCAs to an amp in the back previously, so I yanked those out. You can see the previous owner has cut and spliced a few wires, and had two of them jumped to each other before, but I removed that with no change. The radio works fine BTW. It has that main connector, the antenna, and another 4-pin connector, all of which connect to the wiring in the car as they should.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi,

5-speed tranny has a different VSS than 6-speed tranny. Hope you mount the correct sensor on it.

Did you checked if the VSS sensor harness and voltage coming to the VSS connector ?

ABS light malfunction is caused by your VSS sensor, the ABS computer need to have a signal from the VSS to compare with the speed of the wheels, that's how ABS works.

·
Registered
85 Posts

First of all, check FUSE number 16 as you can see on top of the diagram.

Next, check voltage between pin 1 and pin 2 of the VSS Sensor connector (C109/C110 connector) according to the picture below, you need to have 12 VDC between 1 (red wire) and 2 (Black wire). 3re wire is Brown, this is the Hall effet sensor signal going to the ECU, then to the BCM, to finish at your instrument cluster.

Let me know what results you have 😌

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
85 Posts
Of course, if wiring was not good, as only power wires are inversed between 5speed and 6speed, the sensor is burnt.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Solved!!

The wiring did need to be switched as per the above post (brown, black, red on a 6-speed instead of brown, red, black for a 5-speed) but the sensor was also bad, probably from having the wiring wrong.

So swapping in a known good sensor worked--now I have a replacement sensor on the way and that should take care of it. So satisfying to see the needle (and odometer) move after everything I've tried, and I've officially driven 1 mile now since buying the car (lol).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Haha, that's great ! Happy to see that my help solved your problem. As i said, power wires were switched, so sensor was 100% burnt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts