Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am not sure this is the right place to ask this, but here it goes:

I recently (about 8 months) ago I replaced my clutch as most of us have done, or will do eventually. Damn you Hyunda clutches!!!!!!!! Well, here is the question. When I shift I hear a loud "tink" coming for under the car. It happens when I am going from one gear into another...mainly from 1-3. Not so much in later gears. It sounds like a torque wrench, but loud enough for me to hear in the car. So I am wondering if I am going to have to replace it again, or what. I put in a stage 3 clutch. So, does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Take apart your gearbox and remove the torque wrench. It's bad to leave those things sitting around next to complex machinery...

hehe j/k sorry man I don't know.

·
Registered
464 Posts
mine does that to i hate it, and its really hard to get in gear sometimes.

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
Is this problem worse in the higher rpms? Is it eased with lower rpm shifts?

Check you trans. fluid level/condition, however it sounds like a synchro issue, which can't be fixed with a clutch change.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't replace the clutch because of it. It started to happen after the clutch repair. It sounds almost like its comeing from the front driver side wheel. It doesn't happen so much wich smoother low rpm shifts, but it does when I put any force on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sell Hyundais hense the name. What I have found at the dealership is that the slave cylinder in our tiburons has a hard time holding up against the pressure of a stage 3 clutch. The other thing is we have dual mass flywheels in our cars which are very fragile. If you havent switched your flywheel the click you are hearing is probably the the damper in the flywheel reaching its limit due to the added torque from the stage 3. If you havent switched your flywheel be very careful. I get a decent amount of customers in here that upgrade the clutch and not the flywheel. Most of them wind up having a similar problem. The thing that really sucks is hyundai will usuallly not cover the broken flywheel when they see the clutch has been upgraded. Hope this helps.

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
Well, the driver's side is closer to the tranny and easier to hear on that side because of it.

What clutch do you have?

-Make sure the clutch is fully disengaging when you press the pedal down. Pedal position is adjustable, which effects the already problematic Hyundai clutch slave rod. Whomever installed the clutch should have checked that.
-Make sure the gear oil is at the proper amount & viscosity. ALWAYS let the gear oil reach proper temperature before hard/high rpm shifting. I don't know how the weather in CT is, but the colder it is, the easier you should be to the transmission.
-Make sure you're not losing hydraulic pressure from a leaking slave cylinder or clutch line/fitting.

If it still is doing it and in the high rpms, it's the worse...then it's a synchromesh issue that would be fixed by a transmission rebuild that replaces the worn synchro.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
dude, sorry to hijack, but I think I'm having the exact same issue. The noise I hear is like a single metal on metal hollow noise almost like hitting a puck on an air hockey table. I hear it most going into first with more of an abrupt shift, but if I am under acceleration in 1st and let off the gas abruptly, I hear it again. I noticed that it doesn't necessarily have to be on engagement to hear this noise, the start and stop just have to be abrupt, but I do hear it more in lower gears and not every time I shift. This is driving me bananas! I just got my clutch and flywheel replaced w/ a fidanza and cm stage IV and so I called clutchmasters and he wasn't much help, but he said it wasn't the throwout bearing and shouldn't be the clutch itself, but some noise could be the 6 puck disk so whatever...

I took it to the guy who did the install and he said it seems like more of a suspension issue. I know it isn't the motor mounts because I just replaced the rear with a yaya one and looked at the front and it is fine (also yaya). Oh, and when I took my lug wrench around to tink on the car to hear that same noise, the closest thing to that pitch would be tapping the wrench on the rotor, but nothing looks loose. could this be from the suspension or a bad strut or strut bushing?

we need help!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brownnote said:
dude, sorry to hijack, but I think I'm having the exact same issue. The noise I hear is like a single metal on metal hollow noise almost like hitting a puck on an air hockey table. I hear it most going into first with more of an abrupt shift, but if I am under acceleration in 1st and let off the gas abruptly, I hear it again. I noticed that it doesn't necessarily have to be on engagement to hear this noise, the start and stop just have to be abrupt, but I do hear it more in lower gears and not every time I shift. This is driving me bananas! I just got my clutch and flywheel replaced w/ a fidanza and cm stage IV and so I called clutchmasters and he wasn't much help, but he said it wasn't the throwout bearing and shouldn't be the clutch itself, but some noise could be the 6 puck disk so whatever...

Same thing. I noticed that it doesn't only happen with the clutch engaged. I just happens when ever the hell it wants. I was trying to figure out what I was doing to make it happen, but it just did it. I couldn't make it happen, and I can't stop it!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!

Ps-
And tibseller, if your a dealer, then hook it up. If it is the flywheel is thier anything you can do if I travel the distance? I am trying to find a decent dealer, and I have found none around here. I had one in Albany, GA that hooked me up on everything. It was the dealer I bought it from, but they were awsome. They would try and figure out how to make everything covered by warranty. I mean everything. All the way to oil changes. HAHAHA. They were great. I have tried about 4 other dealers in different states, and noone compares. Not even close. I would highly recomend anyone in the area to use the dealership in Albany GA.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
a couple of things to check

1) Easiest - If you have a CAI - they are known to make a hammering noise when they hit the fender.. check it

2) Rear motor mount is broke - this causes hard shifting under high throttle, and causes things to hit things that make the noise

3) CV joints need to be checked...

I recently broke a rear mount ( solid poly!) and it makes a noise almost like a BOV during shifts... and was impossible to shift under high throttle

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
ok, more hijacking, but ...

def. not the cai, I know this noise, but the metal on metal noise is more solid, like metal with more mass hitting each other... take your lug wrench and moderately tap it against the rotor, that is more of the sound, pitch and tone etc.

I personally just replaced the rear mount last two days ago with a new pressed poly one and both (poly) were in tact and still are so don't think that is it...

as far as cv goes, I was told to put the car on stands so the front wheels were free to move and rotate back and forth and if there was slop/thudding then that is probably a cv issue, but not getting anything like that and nothing that I know of in cornering, if that is not a proper test for bad cv's let me know but thanks....

noises are part of any car, but this is substantial, I think I am going to double check all the sub-frame and suspension bolts again tommorrow, but I am always up for suggestions!

·
Registered
475 Posts
if it were cv joints the noise would be more common during the turns not driving in a straight line., I'm guessing it's your flywheel try upgrading that.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
HRyder,

does it sound kind of like two bearings coming together, I checked all my bolts except the axle nut (don't have the 32mm socket), and am wondering if it is in the strut/spring or something with the wheel bearing... I guess is I can't find it I am going to take it to the stupid dealership and see if I can get anything replaced under warranty if possible. I just feel like the I/H/E gauges, clutch and mounts will kind of put them on the defensive if you know what I'm saying...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know. I don't have anything on my car that I can't remove before going. So maybe if I can fit it in, I will try and go sometime this week. But the only dealership close to me sucks. Charged me 60 bucks for a damn oil change. I couldn't beleive it. So, I dunno. I would like them to look at it, plus, my CEL goes on for a couple hours, then turns off. Happened the day I got it from the oil change, then again about 2 weeks ago. Dunno WTF that is either. It seems to sound like it is comming from the rim, or maybe suspension. Mine is kinda a high pitched PING! Like some one was torquing a lug, or maybe sheering one. (Which scares the beegeebee's outa me). If you wanna risk going in there, and them seeing all that, then making you pay for some dumb made up reason that prob has nothing to do with the problem, then let me know how it goes. Otherwise I will tyr and get my stock one in there this week. Then I will let you know what the problem is. I hope they don't open the tranny and see the stage 3 clutch...

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
HRyder said:
Same thing. I noticed that it doesn't only happen with the clutch engaged. I just happens when ever the hell it wants. I was trying to figure out what I was doing to make it happen, but it just did it. I couldn't make it happen, and I can't stop it!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!

Ps-
And tibseller, if your a dealer, then hook it up. If it is the flywheel is thier anything you can do if I travel the distance? I am trying to find a decent dealer, and I have found none around here. I had one in Albany, GA that hooked me up on everything. It was the dealer I bought it from, but they were awsome. They would try and figure out how to make everything covered by warranty. I mean everything. All the way to oil changes. HAHAHA. They were great. I have tried about 4 other dealers in different states, and noone compares. Not even close. I would highly recomend anyone in the area to use the dealership in Albany GA.
I know it's too far away for you, but if anyone in the mid-Atlantic area needs a great dealership, I highly recommend Alexandria Hyundai in Northern Virginia. Like your dealer in GA, they cover everything under warranty, have no problem with aftermarket equipment (they even install it), and only charge $35 for an oil change plus 10 more for synthetic. They even replaced my driver side seat under warranty several months after I bought the car because of a very small flaw in the leather. I don't think I'm getting special treatment because I bought my car there, they are just great service people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am just a sales rep, but I can talk to the service manager. He would be able to tell me exactly what he can cover under warranty. The one thing everyone needs to understand is that its not up to the dealer in all cases whether something is covered under warranty. Hyundai actually has underwriters which are people that come to investigate warranty claims to decide whether or not Hyundai will cover the cost of the repair. By the way I am in Hanover PA if anyone needs anything. And also I know our oil changes are only 27.95 and we use semi-synthetic oil.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will call now, and try and make an appointment...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts