Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a topic made about this already but it's around 2 years old and has no pertinent information in it.

I had my clutch changed with a kit last April - just a few weeks ago I noticed a clicking/ticking noise at a rate of about 2 clicks per second when the clutch is engaged in neutral idling. This goes away when the clutch is 3/4th of the way disengaged - I figured it was the throw out bearing, and the parts + labor are still covered by the warranty. I took it back to the shop and he keeps saying it's something in the transmission, and the transmission is just making 'old tranny noises'. It's a 2003 GT 2.7L 6spd with 132k miles. He even went as far to say that he wanted me to go and get a second opinion - and if they said it was the throw out bearing, he still would not change it. Not sure if he just doesn't want to make the repair / honor the warranty or if it might actually be something else. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had the same experience with my 2006 2.7l w/ 5 speed. I figured it was bearings in trans since it only did it in neutral. WRONG! The throw out bearing that came with my aftermarket stage 2 clutch and billet flywheel kit let loose after about 10K miles, 2 months past MFG warranty and 300 miles from home. Cost over a grand plus car rentals just to put back a stock clutch that is known for wearing out rapidly, because I had to do it quickly. Pulled clutch and flywheel are fine and I'll try to reuse them when the new clutch goes if I can locate a TOB and pressure plate. Clicking noise, of course, is now gone.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Pull type clutches like ours are very hard on TOBs. If they are not made properly they will fail. Always use OEM throw out bearings.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Went through the same issue with mine. Started day one after switching to my stage 2 kit. Chattered in neutral. Very annoying. Had to drop the trans again and change it to an OEM TOB.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts