Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Banned
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've asked you guys whether or not the ARK N2 Dual system will work with a turbo'd I4 (even though its only 2 1/4" piping instead of what seems to be the preferred 2.5" of boosted tibs) and you said yeah. But what about an SSA catback or Mussa catback? Are either of these 2.5" piping (duals for both)?

Or is custom basically the way to go with a turbo setup and should I just shutup and wait until I've got enough money to buy the turbo kit and the custom exhaust at the same time?

· Registered
1,633 Posts
ssa is 2.5" too.

· Registered
1,038 Posts
I know I've asked you guys whether or not the ARK N2 Dual system will work with a turbo'd I4 (even though its only 2 1/4" piping instead of what seems to be the preferred 2.5" of boosted tibs) and you said yeah. But what about an SSA catback or Mussa catback? Are either of these 2.5" piping (duals for both)?

Or is custom basically the way to go with a turbo setup and should I just shutup and wait until I've got enough money to buy the turbo kit and the custom exhaust at the same time?
Shutup and wait,lol. Just kidding. A 2.5" exhaust is good enough for about 300whp. I'm not sure what your goals are, but if you are planning on going past the 300whp mark, just get a 3". Hope this helps you make your decision.

· Banned
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not looking for over 300whp. I'll probably throw on the Alpine Stg 1 kit (226whp) and basically leave it at that. Just wanted to know if Mussa or SSA use 2.5" incase I wanted to up the boost and the power on the alpine kit.

I've seen the SSA website and they don't carry exhausts for the 03+ Tib...where would I order from them? And if not from them...is the Mussa catback (dual straight) a 2.5" pipe?

· Registered
663 Posts
The only thing that swayed me to go custom was the fact that all of those systems are "cat back" .
I wanted the restriction from the turbo to the "cat back" gone.Other wise it would have been

(downpipe)2.5=2.0====(cat)===/=========2.5========
This way it's (downpipe)2.5==2.5======================(fartcan)

· Registered
1,633 Posts
ssa catbacks are on the ebay

· Registered
348 Posts
You could keep your stock exhaust and just get one of these from atpturbo.com

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm

It's a valve that opens up your exhaust when you are under boost. When you are off boost,
you have a stock exhaust. Check out the video on their site of the Golf with the system installed.
There are no electric motors like some other setups so it's more durable and easier to install.

I have a 2.5" exhaust with my alpine setup but I think I may get one of these too.

· Registered
1,038 Posts
You could keep your stock exhaust and just get one of these from atpturbo.com

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm

It's a valve that opens up your exhaust when you are under boost. When you are off boost,
you have a stock exhaust. Check out the video on their site of the Golf with the system installed.
There are no electric motors like some other setups so it's more durable and easier to install.

I have a 2.5" exhaust with my alpine setup but I think I may get one of these too.
Just get a 3" downpipe and a 3" Quicktime Performance electric cutout kit. Thats what I have. At the flip of switch, I have 100% 3" TBE(turboback exhaust for those unfamiliar with the term) power.

· Registered
348 Posts
I 'd prefer the ATPTurbo setup. The outlet is always 3" but you can specify any diameter for
the T, from 1.75" to 3" I think. So it can be installed on any size exhaust and still have the
benefits of a 3" exhaust.

Also there's no wires to run into the cabinand no electric motor to burn out. Just a vacuum line from the wastegate to a vacuum source. You don't need to switch it on and off, it's always ready to go when you hit boost. You can even put a boost controller on it and make it open at any boost level you want.

Dark: Did you notice a large jump in power from using one, and did you notice any difference
in spool up time?

· Registered
1,038 Posts
I 'd prefer the ATPTurbo setup. The outlet is always 3" but you can specify any diameter for
the T, from 1.75" to 3" I think. So it can be installed on any size exhaust and still have the
benefits of a 3" exhaust.

Also there's no wires to run into the cabinand no electric motor to burn out. Just a vacuum line from the wastegate to a vacuum source. You don't need to switch it on and off, it's always ready to go when you hit boost. You can even put a boost controller on it and make it open at any boost level you want.

Dark: Did you notice a large jump in power from using one, and did you notice any difference
in spool up time?
Yeah I did. A decent amount.

· Premium Member
3,838 Posts
Anything dealing with that coffee stirrer stock exhaust and boost makes me want to stab myself in the eyes. Especially if the stock cat is involved. I clogged my stock cat in 2 weeks of "break-in" driving. I had a 2.5 Ark single, but still had the stock midpipe/cat and as soon as I removed the stock midpipe, I was in heaven. No more erratic idling, no more detonation, no more boost limited to 8-10psi when my wastegate was set at 12psi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.