Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, be kind. I'm a 45 year old father trying to get a car ready for my daughter to drive. Sound systems aren't my forte. so here it goes and hope someone can clarify for me.

Sometime in the previous life of this car ("04 GT), the rear hatch was broken into and the stock sub stolen. I bought a used one from someone on this forum, plugged it in, installed the screws and turned the HU on. Nothing. Every other speaker sounds great, but no hit from the sub. The guy I bought from promised the sub was in perfect working condition (yes, I know). If the amp was not working, wouldn't all the rest of the speakers not be working? Did I get screwed on the stock sub? What's the easiest way to test the sub? The amp?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, it almost sounds like a wiring problem... the connector is not switched is it (although it shouldn't really matter). But if no sound at all is coming out of the sub it does not sound like the amp or sub itself. Plus, yes, the amp does run to all of the other speakers, but the sub is on a lower frequency range set through the crossover and that channel could be fried. It is just unusual to not hear any noise...

I would say use a voltmeter to test the incoming signal; if there is power, or intermediate power, to the green wires with the HU on and music playing, then you are getting a signal. Remember to use a good ground and/or the black wires. Once you get that info, let us know

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hold a lead from the terminal of the sub to the appropriate terminal on the battery. don't hold it on for too longach , all you need to do is tap it, and if the sub is functional, it'll 'pop'

Pics of daughter's car?and of your daughter washing it plz kthxbai
Thanks for the tips from both of you guys, and yes, I owe this forum some finished photos from this thread.

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160601

Will it be OK if dad is the one washing it? ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, back to the top with some test info. I've "popped" the sub by touching green wires to positive 12v, so based on what was said above, the sub should be OK. Next, I ran a volt meter on the green wires coming from the amp, and I'm getting voltage coming through both (not equal amounts) only when I touch one of the blacks with ground. If I ground the other black wire, then I get nothing from the two greens. Not sure what this means, but I still have no sound from the sub. The other thing that seems a little odd to me is that I am getting pretty good base out of the 4 mids up in the cabin, at least what seems like good base for a 45 year old ear. Is this right? Anyway, I'm still at a loss as to why this sub isn't firing. HELP!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, new theory. When I was in messing around with the sub, I noticed that a ground had been hooked up at some point to one of the bolts that holds the sub base bracket to the floor. Obviously, someone had just pulled the wire from the spade end being held by the bolt. Ok, so what would be in the trunk that would need a ground? hmmmm. An aftermarket amp maybe? So, if someone had bypassed the stock amp with an aftermarket amp/sub, would they have disabled the stock amp sub channel somehow. I'm sure there is a thread on this somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts