Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for the struts to pass a “bounce test” but still be bad/blown? At low speeds it feels relatively normal and hits bumps firm which would make me think they are working. I don’t believe they are bottoming out. The main issue is that they steering feels very loose and the car seems to float and feel like a boat. If I needed to weave in and out of traffic a little that would be impossible without tapping the break or gas while going in and out of traffic. There is a lot of increased roll.

The car is a 2004 v6 with koni struts and eibach pro springs, dc front and rear strut bar, 2003 front sway and progress rear sway, ingalls rear arms, ultra rev front chassis and room bar brace. The koni were purchased used with I believe around 40k miles on them from a reputable member on here. Honestly not sure what else it could be besides the struts though.

·
Super Moderator
8,612 Posts
Sup dude.....?

Bounce test is reasonable.
With good light, look at the struts above the wheels (where the strut shaft comes out), is 1 or more "wet", like with oil? That is pretty sure they are shot.

Also, jack up each end and wiggle stuff....could be a bushing or ball joint going, thus it wanders when loaded.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sup dude.....?

Bounce test is reasonable.
With good light, look at the struts above the wheels (where the strut shaft comes out), is 1 or more "wet", like with oil? That is pretty sure they are shot.

Also, jack up each end and wiggle stuff....could be a bushing or ball joint going, thus it wanders when loaded.
Whats up man? I didn't notice them leaking last time I looked but I will look again. Inner/outer tie rods, control arms and ball joints were all replaced in the last 6 months. The problem existed before the replacement and continued after. I replaced my Eibach struts as I thought they were bad at 120k and causing the problem. So I replaced them with the used Konis. I then found out that my passenger ball joint was slopping around in the control arm itself. I almost wanting to replace the konis and go back to the eibachs and see if it changes anything. Another thing my car eats tires. An will lose its alignment extremely fast. I put michelin pilot super sports on May of 2018 and they are almost to the indicator. I've had three alignments in the last 6 months. The toe falls out very fast.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
This seems like a toe rod, tierod, and/or control arm bushing issue. was it the same alignment shop each time? if it was, try a different alignment shop. the alignment shouldn't be coming out of spec so fast. they may not be tightening down the jam/lock nuts on the adjustment threads to prevent the threads from moving.

I haven't had a single alignment adjustment shift in the past 2-3 years of dailying on my tib.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts