Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering, since new cars have EFI, that means an electric signal is what tells the injector to add fuel right? So if that signal couldn't reach the injector, then the injector wouldn't add fuel right?

So could a person rewire a couple of the injectors so that you can open and close the circuit from the cab, essentially turning injectors on and off and affecting how may cylinders a car is running on?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
you will mess something uo massivly... your computer will read that your car is running waaaay lean and add more fule to the cylinders that you didnt turn off the injectors on...

and your plugs might fowl out because they are just trying to ignite the compressed air in the cylinder

you will have soooo many misfire codes you will have them pouring out of your ***.....

id say if you want to do that... just go buy a new impala... they have that feture to make the engine shut down 3 cylinders

·
AWD-swapped Troll
4,947 Posts
hyundai had the same idea...a few months back i believe guam bomb posted an article or press piece about the new supercharged monster engine that they are going to implement in the near future. It is a V8, supercharged engine that will primarily run on 4 cylinders, but when you punch it, all eight kick in with the supercharger...lemme go try and find the thread...and here it is:
Supercharged V8 beast

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, I could in theory shut off the spark plugs as well to prevent fouling and a tuner would be able to prevent the ECU from readjusting the fuel in the other cylinders right?

The reason I ask is I'm thinking about getting a truck, a V8 Dakota, but if it was possible, I'd love to be able to run it on 4 cylinders when just driving around and have the 6 or 8 available when hauling or whatever. So if I could shut down the injectors and spark plugs and then use a tuner to prevent the the stock ecu trying to make up for the loss by putting more fuel in the other cylinders, then I don't really care about a few codes for the "off" cylinders. I can turn them all back on and clear the codes come inspection time. I'm just worried about possibly breaking something.

The application would work on th tib as well, which would also be nice to drop to 4 or even 3 cylinders when in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh yeah, I remember that article. I wouldn't go as complex as that since, well, I can't, but a simple in cabin toggle switch that will kill the injector and spark plug would essentially shut off a cylinder. I know a couple of cars out there do it, but I think they all have it setup as an automatic system. I would set it up manually and since its just stopping the signals from reaching the cylinder, then switching it back on, the worse thing that would happen is catching the spark timing with an empty cylinder for one rpm when turned back on. Turning off, maybe you would kill the spark right before ignition so you waste a little fuel for one rpm.

I mean, it seems feasible and not overly complicated, but as I said, I'm just worried that there is some sort of very negative affect of this that I don't know about, aside from codes.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
I would just save your money and buy a used truck that comes with active fuel management stock. The headaches and issues you'll create by trying to do a DIY AFM system are not worth the smidge of economy you'll gain if you got it working. Not too mention you won't have all the active vibration canceling tech the AFM cars have. Ever felt a V8 running on 4 cylinders? It will rattle your teeth out.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what I wanted to hear. As I said, to do it would be very simple, but the affect of doing it would probably drive me nuts.

Thanks, I figured there had to me more to it otherwise a lot of cars would have this option.

Thanks, we can let this thread die now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts