Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my g/f bought a jetta but doesnt have the manual to it so we dont know what fuel to put in it . i cant find any info online ( not even at volkswagon website ) so ive been telling her to put 93 in it just in case . i need a quick response because shes going to call back in a bit before she fills up . and i told her id know by then .........

·
Registered
792 Posts
i would recommend atleast 89. If you pop open the gas cap, it tells you on the inside of the cap wall... mine says 87

·
Non-emo
3,353 Posts
93 sounds high. Since it's a German engine (I'm going solely off of my experience with BMW here) she should probably put at least Mid-grade (89) in because they're fairly tuned engines. 87 can get you into trouble with stalling or knocking.
But... if she wants to spend the extra 20 cents per gallon, the car will definitely like the 93.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok it says it on the gas door but it says both ron and mon numbers and i forgot which is which so i just told her to put some 93 in it to be safe . i finally found some answers on the vwvortex website . they said the manual says to use mid to premium gas ( didnt say a specific number ) so i just called her and told her to use 91 .
thanks guys !

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh and i wanna secretly put a chip in her car because i read that it can put about 40 more ponys in it . hell that plus exhaust and a bigger down pipe and she'd prolly put my poor little 14.9 car to shame .

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bluegtv6 said:
I doubt it, especially being an automatic.
eh i dont know i saw a dyno with those mods and it was like 240 some ftlbs and 210 hp . but of coarse that was a stick .

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Definately 89 octane.

I think you will agree, she will need to get it chipped and start putting 93 octane in it though.

·
Registered
270 Posts
what gas should I be putting in my i4 tib? I have been using mid grade 90-93, and adding octane booster.. It says I should use 1 bottle of octane booster in every fill up though..

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
she doesnt even want tint on it . she says " if i start doing things to it then it might start to break " . thats why i said i wanted to do it "secretly " .

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rjcool55 said:
what gas should I be putting in my i4 tib? I have been using mid grade 90-93, and adding octane booster.. It says I should use 1 bottle of octane booster in every fill up though..
use the cheapest gas you can find , 87 ........ you wont get any benefits from anything higher . in fact you might lose power with higher octaine .

·
Registered
261 Posts
Karma said:
ok it says it on the gas door but it says both ron and mon numbers and i forgot which is which so i just told her to put some 93 in it to be safe . i finally found some answers on the vwvortex website . they said the manual says to use mid to premium gas ( didnt say a specific number ) so i just called her and told her to use 91 .
thanks guys !
Pump octane is average of RON and MON.

Oh, and if you put in a grade too low, the ECU will retard the timing to compensate so that you don't get engine knock. Of course, that means less power.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AADA Driver said:
Pump octane is average of RON and MON.

Oh, and if you put in a grade too low, the ECU will retard the timing to compensate so that you don't get engine knock. Of course, that means less power.
i know it will do that but id rather not put her ecu into overtime trying to stop detonation .

·
Registered
270 Posts
so am i wasting my time and money with booster? I should just pump the cheap stuff and thats it?? dos'nt the higher octain keep your engine cleaner though, no ticks and such??

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
rjcool55 said:
so am i wasting my time and money with booster? I should just pump the cheap stuff and thats it?? dos'nt the higher octain keep your engine cleaner though, no ticks and such??
Nope man. Higher octane just means you have slower, more controlled combustion. And that octane booster is just sh*t, IMO...there's no real world proof that it does anything for you at all.
If you like, I could p*ss in a bottle and sell it to you for $5.00. It'll work just as good as what you're getting at the store hehe.

And the octane Q should be a no-brainer for you guys. F/I or very high compression = PREMIUM FUEL.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kellydood said:
Nope man. Higher octane just means you have slower, more controlled combustion. And that octane booster is just sh*t, IMO...there's no real world proof that it does anything for you at all.
If you like, I could p*ss in a bottle and sell it to you for $5.00. It'll work just as good as what you're getting at the store hehe.

And the octane Q should be a no-brainer for you guys. F/I or very high compression = PREMIUM FUEL.
well i knew it needed premium fuel , i just didnt know if 91 was ok or if i had to tell her the bad news of 93 ( as if 91 isnt bad enough )

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
My friend had a 1.8t, 91 is recommended, but itl run on anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts