Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would have heads but my speed shop's machines for my head porting slipped and blew the valve seats all out of wack it has a slight loopy idle when you look at the tack nothing like a vac leak tho low is around 675 to 700. Great low end power and a massive kick in the a at 4k I can be in 4th gear on Highway and pull from 60 to 100 like I never could before

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've read and searched for an hr. Do you have to have a fuel tuner if you get your cams done. I know fine tuning it will give ya the most gains, but if I did a modest grind to support I/h/e would I be ok without a fuel tuner? Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've read and searched for an hr. Do you have to have a fuel tuner if you get your cams done. I know fine tuning it will give ya the most gains, but if I did a modest grind to support I/h/e would I be ok without a fuel tuner? Thanks
I have Crower stg iii cams and did a dyno test With reflashed ECU and With origin ECU. The result was that origin gave enough fuel and best mix of fuel and air.
What we also found was from about 5500rpm the graf which was to point straight upwards got a bumpy behavior.
I believe to get best flow you need a upper air inlet manifold With bigger air house, such as the NGM air inlet manifold.

·
Administrator
9,165 Posts
Are there any disadvantages to having cams reground? I live in Montana and I am wondering if below-zero temperatures in winter would affect anything.
No, no issues.

Some cam companies "spray weld" the lobes up, THEN do the regrind. Part of this is to keep some of the original geometry of the cam centerline to tappet interface.
You also have less adjusting to do for cam clearance.
But, if not done correctly there have been reports of the added material flaking off.

PS, I had spray welded cams that worked very well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I know this thread is a bit old but after reading everything I still don't fully comprehend what I would need for my cams. I got an 03 gt v6 2.7L 5 speed and I need to get all new cams for it. However idk what specs they need to be. The car is stock. No upgrades. What is my best option to use it as a DD?

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,161 Posts
Best all around regrind for the 2.7L is the Colt Tri-Flow. Works great even without a tune because of the staggered opening of the intake valves. It's very expensive though at $800 for all four cams last I checked into it. Probably more expensive now.

Cheapest option is the Crower .349" regrinds. Not as much lift as the Colt but still runs well without a tune. Costs about $500 according to one of my clients that just bought a set of regrinds from Crower.

I've collected some regrind information and aggregated it here for comparison. Just remember advertised lift/duration is not the same as @0.050" lift/duration.

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,161 Posts
Are you looking for performance or just trying to find cams to run the car at OEM cam specs? If you just need the car to run, go-to a wrecking yard and pull all 4 cams from any 2.7L car including Sonata, Tucson, Sportage and Optima.

If you want a little performance try the Crower F5782 regrind. You ship your cams to Crower and the grind and ship back. Takes longer than a trip to the wrecker. About a 6 week turn around from Crower.

·
Administrator
9,165 Posts
But yea I'm more worried with just getting it to run
If doing cams, think about the seals around the valve covers as well.....the covers, plug wells, etc. It's all apart, just the cost of seals. Maybe even plugs and wires, timing kit, whatever is coming apart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I already planned on that for the most part anyway. The seals are shot. I got new plugs and everything else appears to be good. But thanks for the thought. Maybe I'll just take care of it all right away just in case

101 - 118 of 118 Posts