Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
** First off, I want to thank Paul J. McCain for the idea as he has done this on his own Tibby **

The total cost of this project was just under $30.
Much cheaper than a $100+ oil catch can.

Supplies:

-Air / Water Seperator (also known as an 'All Purpose Filter') for an Air Compressor.
- (2) 1/4 Screw in leads for the hose.
- (2) 1/4 hose clamps.
- Pliers (to remove the stock hose)
- Sharp Knife
- Screwdriver (to tighten the hose clamps)

"Husky" brand filter from Home Depot (Canada & USA carry these).
* Remove the actual filter from the unit *

1. Remove the stock hose from the Intake Manifold so you can see how far the stock spout sticks out. This is so you don't cut too close to it and end up not being able to fit the catch filter on.

2. Line up the catch filter along the hose to get an idea where you will slice it in.

3. Make the cut and install one side. The 'out' of the filter will face the throttle body while the 'in' will face the front valve cover.

4. Measure it up again and make the 2nd cut to fully install the catch filter.

All done. Make sure you didn't leave any tools under the hood.

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,460 Posts
Re: Oil Catch Filter DIY - by Tibzie

Haha thanks for the shout-out but it's not my idea! There's already a DIY for this but this one is much better with the pictures and well, just better overall!

I think you may want to take the filter out though. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Haha thanks for the shout-out but it's not my idea! There's already a DIY for this but this one is much better with the pictures and well, just better overall!

I think you may want to take the filter out though. Can anyone confirm this?
I can remove it, should I take it out?

·
Still lurks on occasion
6,300 Posts

Wow, this is apparently a lot simpler than I thought it would be to install. Nice DIY man!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

It will need emptied a lot and once oil gets in there it will look yucky. Also, didn't someone on here years and years ago do one of these and it caused problems with their car?

·
Registered
417 Posts

yours fills up that often that it needs to be emptied regularly? i wouldnt think youd need to empty it on a regular basis.....id figure at most just checkin it once a week or so

·
Registered
417 Posts

1.5 years......thats classic man....so its not something that you honestly need to worry about? just a check every once and a while?

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

As long as your motor is in good shape you should be fine. I am FI so I do not want oil getting in my intercooler core.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts

ive heard you cant use these with synthetic, something about the glass cracking... you have to have a metal one? anyone confirm?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

ive heard you cant use these with synthetic, something about the glass cracking... you have to have a metal one? anyone confirm?
Yeah, they all say that. it's to prevent the air compressor from blowing up (so I've read) .. but since it's not used for an A/C, I'm sure i'll be fine.

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,460 Posts

It will need emptied a lot and once oil gets in there it will look yucky. Also, didn't someone on here years and years ago do one of these and it caused problems with their car?
Have you even had one of these Photoman? Where are you getting all of that info from?

I only had to empty mine about once a month and then it was only like half full.

And it doesn't get "yucky." Just wipe off the inside of the container when you empty it and it's good as new.

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,460 Posts

Oh and Tibzie, I completely misread your first reply. Yes, you should take the filter out. It' just going to hinder airflow and it will get saturated prett fast, at which point it will fall apart. Just pull it off.

·
Registered
836 Posts

So in doing this, or a REAL catch can, ask yourself -

1. Am I F/I or not?
2. How often do I want to empty it?
3. Is the PCV valve an issue?

If you are N/A, this little thing will work just fine.

If you are F/I, you should get a real one, and lose your pcv valve. Either T your passenger side covers to a vented can, and plug your pcv out - - or lose the pcv valve (replace w/nipple fitting) and go with a driver side catch can, vented and plugged, or non-vented with a drag tube, and then cap off the IM nipple either way...

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

Have you even had one of these Photoman? Where are you getting all of that info from?

I only had to empty mine about once a month and then it was only like half full.

And it doesn't get "yucky." Just wipe off the inside of the container when you empty it and it's good as new.
No I have not because it is ghetto and you can get a nice catch can for the same price as this. I got the info from the people 3 or 4 years ago that did this same thing and had issues. I think Rickna may have been one of them if i recall correctly, you may want to PM him.

I am sure as soon as 1 drop of oil gets in the clear container it looks yucky since you are having your oil on display when you pop the hood lol.

edit: also, as soon as that little filter gets dirty all the oil will go straight back to your IM again and you are also risking it getting gunked up and clogging. Don't believe me if you do not want to, it is just my opinion. What do I know.

·
Registered
836 Posts

bottom line -

if you're N/A - this is all u need.

if ur F/I - get a real one.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

Here you go, one example of someone that actualy used the ghetto mod then went to a $20 xtune:

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=801594&postcount=19

On T.C.'s advice, I plugged off the entire PCV system, and just placed a tee in the 1/2" crossover hose between the valve covers. I ran a 3/8" hose from the tee across my front valve cover, and down to my $30 Summit Racing oil catch can with an integrated filter and drain valve. I have the can mounted upright, underneath my battery tray. I drain it Fridays, right before I leave work, and I get about 1/4 qt of aerated oil out of it each week. I can't really get a pic of where my can is mounted, because it's so tough to see.

I did the Home Depot DIY catch can, and not only did it not remove all the oil from the PCV system, but it allowed unmetered air into the throttle body (essentially a vacuum leak). The one I have now is much, much better.
Just move the reservoir. I have since made a bracket...

\

whoopsie, even tc said not to use it but what does he know.

Right before I raised my boost to 10 psi, I called up T.C. and mentioned my Home Depot catch can setup, in passing- once he heard how the hoses were run, he told me to take it off right away. And by the time my car left my driveway that night, it had an improvised version of my current setup on it.
A lot of people are actually converting their factory s/c cars (Mini Cooper S, GTP, etc.) to a catch can system. I'm really suprised by how few people on here who are boosted seem to be running them.

That was straight from T.C. man- the guy has probably saved me from launching my engine by making dumb mistakes like 3 times now lol.

again, wtf do i know about modding. just use it if you are happy with it, i personally would not and would not reccomend it to anyone either when you can purchase a real one for the same price or less. I was just trying to be helpful.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts