Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Re: Oil Catch Filter DIY - by Tibzie

Yeah, but didn't kellyd00d have like 400whp??
And then there's the rest of Kellyd00d's text on the issue:

"It happened because I disconnected the breather hose that runs from the rear head to the CAI, capped it off, and put a breather filter on the rear valve cover.
Right before I raised my boost to 10 psi, I called up T.C. and mentioned my Home Depot catch can setup, in passing- once he heard how the hoses were run, he told me to take it off right away. And by the time my car left my driveway that night, it had an improvised version of my current setup on it." - Kellyd00d

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

I threw my warning out there and had proof to back it up. I will not post in your DIY anymore, I put the warning out there and showed that kellydood and tc both said absolutely do not use it.

fyi here is the DIY for the very same thing from 2005

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45198

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

I threw my warning out there and had proof to back it up. I will not post in your DIY anymore, I put the warning out there and showed that kellydood and tc both said absolutely do not use it.

fyi here is the DIY for the very same thing from 2005

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45198
I just don't see how this could be bad if Paul recommended it to me.

For me to get a catch can and shipped from ebay is about $120.00 all the sellers are dicks on ebay.

·
Registered
836 Posts

i do not recall a pm from you. i get 10-20pm's a day sometimes so it is hard to keep up with them.

1 layer. fatmat is lighter than dynamat too.
cool - thanks bro.

Tibzie - Again, this is a great mod for N/A. Not F/I...

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,460 Posts

I first will state that I do not disagree with Photoman except where he has made the erroneous points of it getting gross or whatever he said and how often you have to empty it. I have already addressed those points. But I will restate- no, it does not look ugly. The container stays clear except for the little pool of oil at the bottom, which doesn't cloud up the sides or anything. And I have already stated that the filter should be removed.

I know how the PCV system works, and there is no reason this would be detrimental to any N/A setup. Basically, when there is positive pressure in the crankcase, it gets vented back into your intake manifold. Normally this carries a bit of oil as well, so in order to keep your IM clean, and intercooler core on a supercharger, you want to get rid of this oil.

This small "Home Depot" mod is the exact same thing as an oil catch can. The air is directed down, and the oil, with the greater density, does not rise to the top and continue through to the IM, just the air. It is an air/water seperator, esentially the same thing as an oil catch can. It's just smaller.

If you do it correctly, and use thread seal on all joints, THERE IS NO REASON THIS WOULD NOT WORK WITH A SUPERCHARGER. But I do not recommend it for a supercharger setup because there will be much more positive crankcase pressure with boost, and you'll be emptying it quite often.

Now I really don't see anything of any substance in the opposing arguement except that "TC said so." ???

DO NOT USE THIS ON AN F/I SETUP.

On an N/A setup, it is great.

Photoman, I completely respect your opinion, but not all of us can find good catch cans for $20. Most that are that price are leaky ones on eBay. And you can do this little mod for $10, and even if it really doesn't do anything (Which is hard to believe from the oil I emptied from mine in the 5 months I had it), it's not going to mess anything up on N/A.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

I first will state that I do not disagree with Photoman except where he has made the erroneous points of it getting gross or whatever he said and how often you have to empty it. I have already addressed those points. But I will restate- no, it does not look ugly. The container stays clear except for the little pool of oil at the bottom, which doesn't cloud up the sides or anything. And I have already stated that the filter should be removed.

I know how the PCV system works, and there is no reason this would be detrimental to any N/A setup. Basically, when there is positive pressure in the crankcase, it gets vented back into your intake manifold. Normally this carries a bit of oil as well, so in order to keep your IM clean, and intercooler core on a supercharger, you want to get rid of this oil.

This small "Home Depot" mod is the exact same thing as an oil catch can. The air is directed down, and the oil, with the greater density, does not rise to the top and continue through to the IM, just the air. It is an air/water seperator, esentially the same thing as an oil catch can. It's just smaller.

If you do it correctly, and use thread seal on all joints, THERE IS NO REASON THIS WOULD NOT WORK WITH A SUPERCHARGER. But I do not recommend it for a supercharger setup because there will be much more positive crankcase pressure with boost, and you'll be emptying it quite often.

Now I really don't see anything of any substance in the opposing arguement except that "TC said so." ???

DO NOT USE THIS ON AN F/I SETUP.

On an N/A setup, it is great.

Photoman, I completely respect your opinion, but not all of us can find good catch cans for $20. Most that are that price are leaky ones on eBay. And you can do this little mod for $10, and even if it really doesn't do anything (Which is hard to believe from the oil I emptied from mine in the 5 months I had it), it's not going to mess anything up on N/A.
Excellent info. :3_winkthu

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

lol you guys are taking this personally. Like I said, leave it on there but I personally do not feel it is a good idea and a few others feel the same way. It is your car, do what you want and that is part of learning when you mod.

This "mod" has been around for years and years on the net and has been done by members on here for years and years but that does not make it a good idea. I personally feel it looks ghetto rigged on there and detracts from the engine bay. Your car costs a lot of money, you spent lots of money to make the engine look nice and perform a litte better so why cheap out on a questionable mod to save at the most $5.00? I am sure that will win you some points at the car shows, lmao.

Again, I am just throwing it out there. No you will not blow your engine with this mod but you risk losing some performance if it has a vac leak or if that little filter clogs (and it will).

(I did a quick search on ebay for oil catch tank and found hundreds on there starting at $8.00 btw)

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,460 Posts

Those ones on eBay are KNOWN to be leaky, and most are butt ugly. Show me your "x-tune" one for less than $35 shipped. I couldn't find it! (And btw I do like the x-tune/greddy style and I might buy it to replace my OBX can.Thanks for th tip!) But you can get this air/water seperator for $11.

And I'll say it again, YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO TAKE THE FILTER OUT. And if you use thread seal tape for everything, there is absolutely no reason it would leak any more than the stock single hose.

No I'm not taking it personally! I don't take much personally online because let's face it it's online! LOL

·
Registered
312 Posts
Re: DIY: Oil Catch Filter

sorry to resurrect this thread, but is this still a good mod to do?

I'm running an Injen Intake, an Ebay exahust is on the way, and thats about to the core of the motor.

does it help increase performance? or just keep oil out of the airflow?

·
Registered
568 Posts

sorry to resurrect this thread, but is this still a good mod to do?

I'm running an Injen Intake, an Ebay exahust is on the way, and thats about to the core of the motor.

does it help increase performance? or just keep oil out of the airflow?
I replaced my spark plugs last weekend and noticed how oily the inside of my intake was. Because of that, I'm doing this mod. If you're N/A, it makes absolutely no sense why this would harm your engine. What? Is the air going to vortex around in the plastic tube causing cyclonic motions in your intake thus inevitably leading to excessive pressurization in your cylinders?

·
Registered
568 Posts

I put one of these on my car last night with the bolts of my rear valve cover gasket (unintentionally) untightened. Prior to putting this on, there was a slow leak, but after putting this thing on I drove 10 miles, let the car sit, and came back to a 1/2 qrt oil drained out of my car. So these things do seem to create backpressure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
** First off, I want to thank Paul J. McCain for the idea as he has done this on his own Tibby **

The total cost of this project was just under $30.
Much cheaper than a $100+ oil catch can.

Supplies:

-Air / Water Seperator (also known as an 'All Purpose Filter') for an Air Compressor.
  • (2) 1/4 Screw in leads for the hose.
  • (2) 1/4 hose clamps.
  • Pliers (to remove the stock hose)
  • Sharp Knife
  • Screwdriver (to tighten the hose clamps)
"Husky" brand filter from Home Depot (Canada & USA carry these).
* Remove the actual filter from the unit *

1. Remove the stock hose from the Intake Manifold so you can see how far the stock spout sticks out. This is so you don't cut too close to it and end up not being able to fit the catch filter on.

2. Line up the catch filter along the hose to get an idea where you will slice it in.

3. Make the cut and install one side. The 'out' of the filter will face the throttle body while the 'in' will face the front valve cover.

4. Measure it up again and make the 2nd cut to fully install the catch filter.

All done. Make sure you didn't leave any tools under the hood.
CAN SOMEBODY UPLOAD THE PICTURES FOR DO THIS BECAUSE MY CAR GIVE ME A PROBELM WITH OIL IN THE MANIFOLD. PLEASE

21 - 34 of 34 Posts