Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went to start my car thing morning with no luck. It was quite a damp morning with the car covered in dew. I put the car to acc and checked my music for about 10 seconds then went to start the car and it would click once and nothing else. I tried this a couple times, all the accessories etc worked as normal but the car just wouldn't even attempt to start.

Being in the maintenance industry i should know that when something starts going wrong its not going to fix itself. About a week ago the car did the same thing but on the 2nd turn of the key it would start fine so i didn't worry about it. Now the car is dead. I was a bit in a rush this morning so i didn't have time to really mess about trying to diagnose the problem. The battery is a shiruken only about 2months old plus all the electronic things inside work so i doubt its a battery issue. My next thought was the alternator....maybe I'll look up getting a stinger or something.

Any suggestions NT fam?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Sounds like battery issues. Check the + and - terminals. They should be tight. If they are... your battery may be giving it's last. Grab a voltmeter and measure the voltage on your battery. It should be 12v or a little more... near 14v with the car running.
If with the car running the voltage doesn't get near 14v, you could be having an alternator problem.

EDIT: LOL didn't read the part where you said the battery is 2 months old. That reduces the odds of it going bad BUT double check it anyways. For alternators unless you are planning on installing massive amounts of woofers and amps or a deadly sound equipment the OEM will do fine. Just upgrade your grounding which has helped lots of friends.

·
Registered
850 Posts
my bet for the battery. it should be over 12.5 volts without load. check if your contacts are clean. recharge the battery in auto-parts store for free. you may also have a dying alternator if battery is good

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i got my pops to put the multi meter on the battery (since im at work) He said it was reading 12.8V. The car doesn't crank at all, just a click. My somewhat electrically minded friend said it could be the starter or starter solenoid. In my old car (honda fit) when the battery was dead/dying u would hear an array of clicks from realys and would crank but won't start. He says if theres only 1 click and not multiple clicks its probably the starter or starter solenoid. I'll get some prices for em today but try some more trial and error tonight before i go out and buy a new one.

·
Registered
850 Posts
if you hear click then solenoid should work; apparently starter itself is dead or dying... try to shake car; if it's manual try to push start it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks fam.
I was just at the auto store and he mentioned what he calls 'bandits' could be the cause of the problem where the gear teeth get worn. Its the first square in the attached picture. I don't get any winding sound so I'm assuming its not these bandits. Does anyone have the link to the hyundai site were you can access all parts break down so i can get the correct term for this word?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with accelerator, if all of your accessories or working its probably the starter. its not driving that gear down into the flywheel. I just had this problem a few days ago

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
its the starter trust me If battery is good then its the starter. Alternator has nothing to do with cranking and starting the car, its only there to keep battery charged. Try hitting the starter a couple times not really hard but a good nock and try to start it while your doing this

·
Registered
850 Posts
Alternator has nothing to do with cranking and starting the car,
it's obvious, but because of alternator battery could be at that point where there is not enough power to start the car, and so it would be problem that has nothing to do with starter or battery itself.
but yeah; it seems to be a starter, they usually don't die immediately and a little shake may bring them back to life

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
it's obvious, but because of alternator battery could be at that point where there is not enough power to start the car, and so it would be problem that has nothing to do with starter or battery itself.
but yeah; it seems to be a starter, they usually don't die immediately and a little shake may bring them back to life
I understand. i came to my conclusion because he said he had his pop check it with a multimeter and it read 12.8 volts so i figured the alt is fine if battery isnt toast. I would still replace the starter regardless even if it cranks over after giving it a couple nocks just to have a piece of mind that your not going to get stuck because of it

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it started! Not sure how or why because I didn't get as far as to givin it a wack. I guess my research was poor because I read that you take off the air box to get to the starter on a 2.0L. I guess my European model is different because it wasn't there. I couldn't find it anywhere actually, guess I should get under the car and take a look.
Anyway by time I had the air box off and didn't see the starter I got my bro to start the car so I could hear where the click was coming from...n the BAM! My sweet blue thunder started lol.

Thanks for your help guys. It's going straight to the garage tomorrow to get looked at!

·
Registered
850 Posts
ok. now i'm sure it's a bad starter; like i said it doesn't die on a spot. while you were removing air box you've moved the engine a little bit, and it was enough to bring it back to life... buy a new one!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's actually under the air intake manifold. Not the plastic air box on the side. Taking that off is a bit out of my comfort zone. I'll leave that up to the pros

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's actually under the air intake manifold. Not the plastic air box on the side. Taking that off is a bit out of my comfort zone. I'll leave that up to the pros
on my 2.7 its right up front you can easily get to it from underneath. its different for the 2.0's?

·
Registered
850 Posts
of course it's different on 2.0. You can remove it from under the car, but you would have to work almost blind.

·
Administrator
8,846 Posts
I agree with it's a starter issue. Check the connections to the starter & starter solenoid 1st, make sure they're clean & tight. If they are, likely the starter is on it's way out.
These connections are the only ones that affect the starter and not the rest of the electronics.

-If it was a bad/failing battery, everything else would die when you tryto start it.
-As mentioned, the alternator is just there to charge the battery.

PS, the parts circled are the starter solenoid & Bendix mechanism. The Bendix bit is what drives the starter gear out to the flywheel/flex plate to spin the motor over when the starter motor spins. I'm going to guess the parts guy meant "Bendix" and you heard "Bandits".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try shorting the starter using a screwdriver and see if you can start that way. If you can it's time for a new starter

1 - 20 of 26 Posts