Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I agree with it's a starter issue. Check the connections to the starter & starter solenoid 1st, make sure they're clean & tight. If they are, likely the starter is on it's way out.
These connections are the only ones that affect the starter and not the rest of the electronics.

-If it was a bad/failing battery, everything else would die when you tryto start it.
-As mentioned, the alternator is just there to charge the battery.

PS, the parts circled are the starter solenoid & Bendix mechanism. The Bendix bit is what drives the starter gear out to the flywheel/flex plate to spin the motor over when the starter motor spins. I'm going to guess the parts guy meant "Bendix" and you heard "Bandits".
LOL that sounds about right. I blame it on his accent. And yes thats how he explained it to me, but the bendix isn't the issue. The car has started fine twice today but i haven't had time to take it to the mechanic so i'll leave it at work in our garage over night (like most nights since i mostly ride a motorcycle to work)

·
Administrator
8,846 Posts
Sounds cool....keep us informed, we can help (many here have a clue). If nothing else, it helps the next person with a similar issue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm having this issue right now. I have a 2007 se v6 everything starts and you can hear the click, but it won't. Start. Looking for the starter, but from what I am reading you guys said it's on top correct? If so, is it under the airbox or intake manifold. FYI I don't have an airbox I replace it with a cold air intake. Can someone take picture of what it looks like thanks.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
It's to the right of the front header since you have a v6.

·
Administrator
8,846 Posts
I'm having this issue right now. I have a 2007 se v6 everything starts and you can hear the click, but it won't. Start. Looking for the starter, but from what I am reading you guys said it's on top correct? If so, is it under the airbox or intake manifold. FYI I don't have an airbox I replace it with a cold air intake. Can someone take picture of what it looks like thanks.
It's to the right of the front header since you have a v6.
The starter is about the size of a small soup can. Follow a positive wire from the battery, it will go direct to the starter solenoid which is mounted on the starter. The starter is mounted at the trans/engine mating line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So i went to start my car thing morning with no luck. It was quite a damp morning with the car covered in dew. I put the car to acc and checked my music for about 10 seconds then went to start the car and it would click once and nothing else. I tried this a couple times, all the accessories etc worked as normal but the car just wouldn't even attempt to start.

Being in the maintenance industry i should know that when something starts going wrong its not going to fix itself. About a week ago the car did the same thing but on the 2nd turn of the key it would start fine so i didn't worry about it. Now the car is dead. I was a bit in a rush this morning so i didn't have time to really mess about trying to diagnose the problem. The battery is a shiruken only about 2months old plus all the electronic things inside work so i doubt its a battery issue. My next thought was the alternator....maybe I'll look up getting a stinger or something.

Any suggestions NT fam?
I had this problem after taking stereo out without disconnecting the negative battery terminal. What fixed it is removing the main and starter relays and placing them back. It cranked right up after.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts