Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys this isn't for my tib but for my freightliner.....

I got this MP3/cd/dvd/TV single din deck...........it doesn't have speaker wire outs on the back just 2 RCAs out for sound

Do I HAVE to run them to an amp or is there a way or a converter of some kind where I can turn those 2 RCA outs to go into my trucks stock speaker wire......and then thru its stock speakers?

I used to have the RCAs split to 2 amps but I blew like 2 amps already and its too much wire to run back and fourth in my truck........

Thanx in advance.....audio isn't my best dept.

· Registered
938 Posts
Hmmmm...I want a freigtliner...anyway, The rca's are usually ment for sub outlet only. Now im not sure if there is a way to rig it up for speakers but...I dunno. If they dont make a convertor, why dont you get a small cheap amp and run rca's to the amp and then wires from the amp to the speakers...not sure if this is what your trying to do or not. The only other issue is the amp is usually ment for subs and not voice speakers...sorry I cant help much.

· Registered
938 Posts

· Registered
1,177 Posts
ummm... get a wiring harness. that's where the speakerwires go.

the RCAs are only for going to amps.. if it has 2 preouts .. that probably means you got one for sub and one for fronts.

something like this... wiring harness

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here ya go, found it for ya http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_connections_detail.php?cat_id=5 you might beable to find other brands but this is the first one I saw.

EDIT: Keep in mind your headunit will put out subwoofer freq. thru the rca's though.

Yea man something like THAT

BUT.......this headunit......all it HAS is the 2 RCA outs.......and no speaker wire outs........so I don't believe its STRICTLY to run to subs.......the manual just shows it run to an amp or whatever

And I already had this unit in my old freightliner run to 2 amps splitting the RCA...........kept having amp problems.....plus I hadda run long RCA to the amps in the back...and then mad speaker wire back up front...was a pain......

I want to just maybe put this unit in my new truck......use a converter in the link u posted.....just don't know how much this unit pounds out......and if an amp is MANDATORY......I figure run its 2 only RCA outs to the stock speaker freightliner wiring and then that goes>> to stock truck amp>>>stock speakers........I think that would do it.....thanx for that link man I think I'm gonna try one

· Registered
938 Posts
Yea thats weird. I would think your harness has the speaker wires in it. It wont be in your headunit it would be attached to the harness you have (assuming it is a regular headunit). Wish I could help you more. good luck though

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea thats weird. I would think your harness has the speaker wires in it. It wont be in your headunit it would be attached to the harness you have (assuming it is a regular headunit). Wish I could help you more. good luck though

It is a regular single DIN unit..........just doesn't have the speaker wire outs......JUST 2 RCA outs for sound out

Seems like something ud put in the back of a van for the kids in the back...........cuz its DVD/TV tuner/mp3/cd/ ect

I had it in my old freightliner and had an in dash screen I installed and had the video run to that

Was like a 99$ one I bought off of millionbuy.com a while back......I think its a pyle or a pyramid.......was cool too cuz I'd have my MP3s listed on the in dash screen......just wanna wire it to my new truck without screwing with amps.....wanna go right to my trucks speaker wire harness and have "stock" sound

· Registered
938 Posts
Yea, im just gonna stop there cause I dont wanna mess anything up. "can we get some pro's in here...I mean come on!" "its hard to find good help these days!" :)

· Registered
89 Posts
The RCA preoutputs put out all audio frequencies, unless there is a setting on your deck for like a 'low pass filter', iin which case you just turn it off. I wouldnt worry about it. hooking an amp up with the preouts will give you much better sound quality over what a speaker wire does, anyway.

get an amp, hook it up and connect your speakers to the amp. ebay has amps for supercheap if your are only looking to get some tunes. I think I picked one up for only 40 bucks (moslty shipping cost)

~HG

· Registered
2,940 Posts
It sounds like a competion setup, no speaker outputs, so you don't have to have the internal amp and therefore less heat. My last radio was a Panasonic and it was setup like that, only had RCA's (Front/Rear/Sub). Now, if you put a converter on the RCA's (low level) to change them to a speaker output (high level) you will not have enough power behind it to power your speakers and get a good sound. You are going to have to get a small 4 channel amp to make them sound decent at all. Just find something small enough to through up inside the dash somewhere and get some short RCA's to plug into it and then just some short speaker wire to run over to the factory speaker wire and connect everything up like that. That will keep you from having to rewire the whole truck. I would recommend the JL A4300 or the 300/4, it is the smallest 4 channel they offer. Hope that helps!

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It sounds like a competion setup, no speaker outputs, so you don't have to have the internal amp and therefore less heat. My last radio was a Panasonic and it was setup like that, only had RCA's (Front/Rear/Sub). Now, if you put a converter on the RCA's (low level) to change them to a speaker output (high level) you will not have enough power behind it to power your speakers and get a good sound. You are going to have to get a small 4 channel amp to make them sound decent at all. Just find something small enough to through up inside the dash somewhere and get some short RCA's to plug into it and then just some short speaker wire to run over to the factory speaker wire and connect everything up like that. That will keep you from having to rewire the whole truck. I would recommend the JL A4300 or the 300/4, it is the smallest 4 channel they offer. Hope that helps!

Thanx man That's the answer I was searching for

BUT..........I already a blew a 4 channerl and a 2 channel amp running it that way..............if u see my dumb question thread you'll see my freightliner has 4 batteries and someone suggested it may be too much power given to the amps and that's why they blew

Pshh I might just leave the stock freightliner casseste deck with my laptop on the passenger seat and my lil cassette adaptor........wanted to avoid the amps+ the work

Thanx a million guys

· Registered
2,940 Posts
Yeah, I also helped you in that one. Take and check and see what the power wire and ground wire read with the volt meter. If you are under 15 volts, then you should not have an issue with blowing up, now if it is higher, then yes that is why the went, but as long as you connect the positive side of the wire to the positive of the battery that is grounded to the chassis, you will only get what that battery puts out. I really don't think your radio is going to give you enough power to make any decent sound out of the speakers. Try it and see, and if you don't like it, change back to the stock one or get you another good/cheap deck unit! L8R

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yo ant. what is the model number on your headunit again? ima see if i can come up with somthing for you

I have no clue man its still in my old truck.......I'm headin back now.....oll prolly pull it out when I get back and snap some shots........I think it was a pyrimad or pyle....not sure tho

If u dig up my "in dash screen freightliner thread"......there's some shots there

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really don't think your radio is going to give you enough power to make any decent sound out of the speakers. Try it and see, and if you don't like it, change back to the stock one or get you another good/cheap deck unit! L8R

Well my freightliner HAS a small stock amp.....

Cuz I have 2 speakers in each door......as well as 2 stock subs in my bunk up top

That's why I wana go deckBstock speaker wires>>stock amp>>stock speakers

· Registered
2,940 Posts
Well that makes a difference, if you have a stock amp that the speaker wires are feeding, then just get some RCA ends and splice them onto the speaker wires. I believe the + is the center, so wire them up that way. Then you should be in business, and don't forget about hooking up the amp turn on if you have one! L8R

· Registered
843 Posts
actualy that headunit sounds like a add on rather than a standard headunit. ...like if you were to run a DVD player into a standard headunit.

basically all you have is a dvd player with a tv tuning. If you look on the back of the unit...does it have 3 RCAs out - red, white and yellow?

if so you will need to buy a regular headunit because the output of that headunit will not push hard enough to drive an amp of any form. most dvd add on units send out .5-.8 milliwatts.

please take a picture of the headunit you are bout to install so i can know for sure. But if it is what i think it is...it is like hooking up a computer monitor and expecting to get cable tv out of it.

also a way to stop blowing amps is to run a voltage converter to power you sound system. I don't know much about them, but i know it is used for buses and RVs when hooking up lights and accessories that are 12 volt.

· Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well that makes a difference, if you have a stock amp that the speaker wires are feeding, then just get some RCA ends and splice them onto the speaker wires. I believe the + is the center, so wire them up that way. Then you should be in business, and don't forget about hooking up the amp turn on if you have one! L8R

Indeed

I should prolly get one of them convertors that turns the 2 rcas into 4-8 speaker wires then right?

And on the remote turn on I'm sure my truck has one..............thing is EVRY wire behind the dash no matter what it is, is yellow............nothings labled whatsoever..............the amp(which is hidden inside the wall by the pass seat also has mad yellow wires running to it......

Imma see if I can maybe hunt dwn a wiring diagram for it.......that'll be tough.........

When I had it hooked up in my other freightliner I just pretty much tested the wires till I got sound and what not

So I'm not so SURE this freightliner stock system even HAS a remotre wire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.