Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Tiburon, 128k miles. Had her for about a year. All of a sudden she started to overheat, replaced the thermostat, good to go. Then about 2-3 months later she started leaking and then we took it to a mechanic and changed the water pump for $600 (imo too much). But that fixed the leaking but now shes loosing crazy amounts of coolant in a short amount of time. I replaced the thermostat, didnt work. So here are the symptoms
-Water loss
-No visible leaks
-Excess gases/air coming out of overflow tank
-If driven hard it will lose way more than if normally driven
-No "milky" oil
-No White smoke coming from exhaust.
If you have ANY ideas as to what could be happening pls help :crying:

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
1) When the water pump was changed was the timing belt changed as well?

2) Do you have any sort of maint record on the Tib?

3) Symptoms point to a blown head gasket. Are your exhaust tips overly wet with moisture after a hard drive? Does it smell like burning coolant?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check for smells. Usually you can smell it. If you can smell the coolant its leaking. Its a sweet smell when the engine is hot.

Check the Radiator, It might be clogged, Do a coolant flush.

Check hoses, Could be a pinhole leak.

What color Is the coolant?

Just some things I would check before you go any deeper, Could also be the Temp sensor falling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check for smells. Usually you can smell it. If you can smell the coolant its leaking. Its a sweet smell when the engine is hot.

Just some things I would check before you go any deeper, Could also be the Temp sensor falling.
It was changed a long with the water pump and I dont have any. I have noticed some rust inside my tailpipe from excess moisture.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I have smelt burning coolant. Ive checked the hoses a long with flushing the radiator

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have smelt burning coolant. Ive checked the hoses a long with flushing the radiator
Check for the crack around the plastic tank on top of the radiator, that's where it usually cracks. It would be apparent if you could pressure test it. At 120k miles, my radiator has developed a hairline crank but temp is not rising although I do smell coolant. Replacing the radiator along with hoses, thermostat n radiator cap this weekend.

·
Administrator
8,985 Posts
All good suggestions.

Do you have the original spring clamps on the radiator hoses? If so, they tend to get weak over time, I always replace them with worm drive clamps. A nice clean engine makes it easier to find coolant leaks.

Pushing coolant out the overflow tank sounds like either air in the system or a HG leak into the cooling system.

Reactions: budder6

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I would def point to a bad head gasket. may look at spark plugs usually if the leak is bad enough and its burning it off the bad cylinder will be clean as a whistle! We had a car come into the shop with a bad head gasket and 1 cyl was supper shinny clean ie the bad one. That car was also smoking (white) HORRIBLY! I would hook a pressure tester to the radiator and pump it up to the pressure labeled on the cap and see if it bleeds down and look for leaks.

·
Administrator
8,985 Posts
I would def point to a bad head gasket. may look at spark plugs usually if the leak is bad enough and its burning it off the bad cylinder will be clean as a whistle! We has a car come into the shop with a bad head gasket and 1 cyl was supper shinny clean ie the bad one. That car was also smoking (white) HORRIBLY! I would hook a pressure tester to the radiator and pump it up to the pressure labeled on the cap and see if it bleeds down and look for leaks.
Some bad HG's don't show up with a cooling tester like that. Good way is pressurize it a bit, then start the car.
As the coolant warms, the pressure should rise slowly.
Bad HG will show a rapid rise since the combustion pressure is pumping into the cooling system.. you may have to vent the pressure as it rises since the tester is not designed to relieve pressure like a radiator cap.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
A bad Head Gasket can also push combustion gases into the coolant system like Charlie said. This can show up as bubbling coolant in the radiator. Let the engine warm up with the rad cap off and watch the coolant level. If starts looking like a dirty hot tub then you know you've got issues. ;)

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
had a SVT contour come in with the hot tub radiator and coolant overflow tank symptom one time. I would hydrolock over night it was so bad! The girl that literally had just bought it the day before was mortified when she got the est. on what it was going to cost. Crappy thing is the guy that sold it to her knew about it but he took advantage of her felt bad for her.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
There's some seriously crooked shops and people out there so people need to wake up and at the very least take a planned purchase to someone that knows what they're looking at BEFORE buying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 Tiburon, 128k miles. Had her for about a year. All of a sudden she started to overheat, replaced the thermostat, good to go. Then about 2-3 months later she started leaking and then we took it to a mechanic and changed the water pump for $600 (imo too much). But that fixed the leaking but now shes loosing crazy amounts of coolant in a short amount of time. I replaced the thermostat, didnt work. So here are the symptoms
-Water loss
-No visible leaks
-Excess gases/air coming out of overflow tank
-If driven hard it will lose way more than if normally driven
-No "milky" oil
-No White smoke coming from exhaust.
If you have ANY ideas as to what could be happening pls help :crying:
Hi there is milky water coming out of my radiator but like I said one of my pully wheels did fall off and I dont no where it fits on pls help cause my car is overheating accessibly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts