Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sort of pressures are you running on your snows, I have been playing with them but the oversteer is still like I have a flat in the rear.

Anyone else have to figure this out? :3_frusty:

·
Banned
312 Posts
Um, actually the answer is dead on. I told you I run stock pressure, as you should. The issue is the lack of lateral traction built into snow tires, IE the rear end tends to just skip along the pavement.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No,not a narrower issue, it is a definate handling issue when on a straight line, replicating a rear flat. Best description would be an extremely over sensitive steering wheel. I guess I will stagger my air pressures higher in the rear than the front for the next test.

·
Registered
690 Posts
this is because the tries are made of a softer compound.

they are more flexable in warmer weather. they get harder as the weather gets colder. the weather we have right now, the compound of a snow tire is still soft and with it having a 55 sidewall there is a lot of flex in the tire itself.

hope this helps out

·
Registered
869 Posts
Well I've never considered the issue as I don't drive in the snow, but I'm having trouble grasping why handling would go from understeer to over-steer with softer tires. I mean I get it if he only changed the two rears, but why is the reduced traction not equal among all four tires?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Rick, that was my thinking. The suspension and factory pilots work well together, I know exactly how much understeer I have at all times. The soft when warm may be something to compare though and next week I understand may cool down a lil so I might find something there? If not I will try 34lbs up front and 38 in the rears.

·
Registered
869 Posts
itizme said:
Hey Rick, that was my thinking. The suspension and factory pilots work well together, I know exactly how much understeer I have at all times. The soft when warm may be something to compare though and next week I understand may cool down a lil so I might find something there? If not I will try 34lbs up front and 38 in the rears.
Yeah let me know how you find that. Otherwise there has to be some other factor involved.

·
Banned
312 Posts
We already told you the answer.

increasing the rear pressure will only reduce your contact patch, and most likely worsen the problem.

·
Registered
547 Posts
ya with summer sport tires you want high pressure ~35-42 for good handeling. I try to keep my snow tires close to the low 30s and not drive aggressive. they wear out faster and are not ment for autoXing. you may want to play with the pressure in like a snowy parking lot, or have fun in the snow with the car :)
you just dont want to understeer everywhere and you want o be able ot stop.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've got my winters on and I'm running 32lbs up front and 30lbs out back. I haven't had any trouble but I bought really expensive tires. The only thing I notice is that the car lags more because the tires/rims are heavier then my summers.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Winter tires have softer compounds, the tread has hundreds of sipes/cuts to make it flex even more hence the driving on marshmallows effect.

·
Registered
205 Posts
MrPhotoman said:
Winter tires have softer compounds, the tread has hundreds of sipes/cuts to make it flex even more hence the driving on marshmallows effect.
Sounds delicious

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
itizme said:
What sort of pressures are you running on your snows, I have been playing with them but the oversteer is still like I have a flat in the rear.

Anyone else have to figure this out? :3_frusty:
I am running the same as my summers. Snows have a taller grip than streets therefore they stand a little taller and have less contact path if that makes sense. They need this extra tall grips for the siping and the studs (I run studs). Also the softer compound adds to this. I wouldnt drop pressure cause in extreme cold the pressure shrinks anyway so it would prolly be dangerously low IMHO....

Hope this helps

1 - 17 of 17 Posts