Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well you read it right... I was at the beach this past weekend and was sitting at a stop light when this older guy pulls up beside me in a titan and i thought nothing of it since after all it is a full size truck. so i left the light like normal (getting up to speed faster than the person beside me) but he stayed right with me then he floored it and i floored it and he left me... I dunno what I'm more embarassed about... the fact i lost to a full size truck or the fact i had my A/C on. I have, however, heard that those trucks are pretty quick for what they are but I always had my doubts.

BTW I normally don't street race, and even then it was up to the speed limit. I lost a good friend in a bike accident that way... So yea... Thoughts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well you read it right... I was at the beach this past weekend and was sitting at a stop light when this older guy pulls up beside me in a titan and i thought nothing of it since after all it is a full size truck. so i left the light like normal (getting up to speed faster than the person beside me) but he stayed right with me then he floored it and i floored it and he left me... I dunno what I'm more embarassed about... the fact i lost to a full size truck or the fact i had my A/C on. I have, however, heard that those trucks are pretty quick for what they are but I always had my doubts.

BTW I normally don't street race, and even then it was up to the speed limit. I lost a good friend in a bike accident that way... So yea... Thoughts?
Hmmm... I had a buddy who paid a full 7 grand for a supercharger for his Titan and that thing would walk me all day long

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
my thoughts are that you should have expected nothing less...
your tibby has like 180 tq..

his truck prob had closer to 400...

"horsepowers sells cars torque wins races"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[QUOTE="horsepowers sells cars torque wins races"[/QUOTE]

I've seen your quote everywhere and I'm starting to believe it.

I have actually beat a titan and a ram in an integra i used to have.

And I had no idea of the torque that monster has until i looked up the specs the other day. 0-60 in like 6.X seconds. Crazy stuff man...

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
0 to 60 in 6.x seconds is slow.

the hp/tq saying is about as bad as the "i live my life a 1/4 mile at a time" thing lol

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
well mr photoman.. its true.. and i think carrol shelby knows a lil somethin somethin about cars.. lol

and the reason trucks own tibs is cuz, not only do trucks have a buttload of torque, they have it in a waaaay lower RPM range.. and they tend to stay at lower RPMs. unlike our higher reving cars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For that kind of race though that saying is true.. Not trying to argue just trying to show I'm not an idiot.

:3_shiny:

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
lol, no one is saying you are an idiot.

if torque is what matters then i suppose a dump truck with butloads of torque and not much hp should be a drag racing monster ;)

hp/torque go hand in hand when racing. one is not more important than the other but if you only have one or the other (such as a truck or vtakkk hp) then you are at a disadvantage against a car that has both.

edit: crap, i need to get back to tying jibberish and irritating comments to piss people off.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
a dumptruck would be a dragstrip beast if you did some major weight reduction... and gave it better gearing ratios... haha

plus the fact that a truck has bigger tires in general, helps with it being faster to an extent. the bigger the tire, the further yo go with a single rotation.

there are a lot of factors that make a truck go faster then a tibby.
the only true advantage a tibby has over a truck would probably be that they weigh like half as much as trucks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i know... i guess it's just assumed that torque would be better for stoplight racing, and HP for top end. but they do go hand in hand... anyways it still doesn't change the fact i lost... so it's time for more mods!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
yeah a couple of months ago i raced my buddy's titan with i/h/e and he stomped on me (2 1/2-3 car lengths) and til this day, he doesnt shut his mouth about the win... titans are quick.. dam nissan engines lol

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Titans?............Quick? Wha........? I havent giggled that hard in a while:3_headsha a mid to high 15 second truck is not that fast, you most likely got caught off gaurd and he had the jump. But that's just an observation on my part:3_chubby:

·
Registered
740 Posts
lol.. when i was stock i raced my friends titan for ***** and giggles... he beat me. by a car length or so.. i was uber embarrased until now

·
Registered
516 Posts
Don't underestimate trucks, all that power goes somewhere when they don't have a huge payload behind them.

When I was stock (still basically am) I raced a 09 F-150 for kicks and giggles only won by a car length or so. I also was in my friends 08 V6 toyota Tacoma (the non supercharged model) when he decided to race a Mitsubishi 3000gt (non VR4) and he pulled off of the 3000gt pretty easily.

The supercharged Toyota Tacoma is really really quick actually.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
alright for one the quote came from Carroll Shelby and I found it while writing a paper about the comparison of turbos vs. superchargers and 4cyl. vs. 8 cyl. therefore the main point of the quote was talking about his car The Super Snake but Tq.= force needed to move the car... HP=force needed to keep the car moving... and when you see commercials about vettes, stangs, and such the say X amount of Hp not X amount of Tq. That is that... and also Titans will beat us like the Duramax's that has the 6 inch lift and runs 14 sec quarters stock... come one now... you have to take things into consideration.... Also, This is almost as bad as Honda Civics revving at Vettes...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts